• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tropica Substrate Problems or not?

We have just had this same issue with the tank planted by Oliver at TGM.
We had a similar (not quite as pronounced) yellow leaching effect in his tank that lasted for about four weeks and Oliver used Amazonia, which is black in colour. The similarities between Bogwood's and Olivers tanks are the Fossilised wood and we believe this is where the issue stems from.
On a good note this will ease off with each successive water change and will eventually clear as has Oliver's.
There may however be another issue if the Tropica substrate has not been covered with a minimum layer of 3cm or has been disturbed when the hardscape was put into place as it will certainly colour the water column in this way and in this colour as is stated clearly by Tropica in their instructions for use.
The good news is that this is really a short term issue whatever the cause and will settle with time and water changes.
We hope that this information proves useful and if you require any more help or advice on our products please feel free to phone or PM us and we will be more than happy to share our own first hand experience with you.
We hope that this is of help.

Best regards

The-Green-Machine said:
We have just had this same issue with the tank planted by Oliver at TGM.
We had a similar (not quite as pronounced) yellow leaching effect in his tank that lasted for about four weeks and Oliver used Amazonia, which is black in colour. The similarities between Bogwood's and Olivers tanks are the Fossilised wood and we believe this is where the issue stems from.
On a good note this will ease off with each successive water change and will eventually clear as has Oliver's.
There may however be another issue if the Tropica substrate has not been covered with a minimum layer of 3cm or has been disturbed when the hardscape was put into place as it will certainly colour the water column in this way and in this colour as is stated clearly by Tropica in their instructions for use.
The good news is that this is really a short term issue whatever the cause and will settle with time and water changes.
We hope that this information proves useful and if you require any more help or advice on our products please feel free to phone or PM us and we will be more than happy to share our own first hand experience with you.
We hope that this is of help.

Sounds very much like a solution to my problem.

I attended Olivers demonstraation, and my set up was on the same lines, just a little less Amazonia.
I will increase the water change frequency, and be patience.
Thanks for the explanation.

Its now 4 weeks since setting the tank up, and as the pictures show the water is crystal clear. :D :D :D
web.jpg

web.jpg

As has been suggested, the most likely cause was the leeching rocks.

Wow you can actually see the plants now!

That's so much clearer, excellent growth on the plants by the way. :thumbup:

Back