• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 reactor

Paulo

I was using an Am1000 with siporax see attached picy - slowed my flow down by 157lph + it was noisy - gone back to my old method.

EheimFilterlayout003.jpg

Paul

jonnyjr said:
How did you remove the bio balls for the aquamedic reactor as the description states it is hermetical sealed, is there a way of removing the top and re-gluing it back together?

If you look at the picture in the post above, you can see a circle just below the hose tail. The tail comes undone at this point so that you can remove the media.

Gang@Ukaps

Both of the tails on the Am reactor are threaded and removal is easy once the seals has been broken, not broke in the aspect that it broken for good - break the seals as there are "O" rings fitted to prevent water escaping.

Regards
paul.

Hi Nick16,

Nick16 said:
so just to clarify,

http://www.aquaticbiotope.co.uk/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=827
people rate the above reactor (AM 1000) and it will fit a TT EX1200?

Yes and yes basically although be aware that the hose connector will not be a tight enough fit to seal without some form of help as I mentioned previously. You do have access to the reaction chamber and can add/change or remove media but as flyfisherman found out any media in that chamber will reduce flow to a greater or lesser extent depending on media type. That price incidently is a very good price for one, most places are more expensive than this. You could wait to find one on ebay but they don't come up very often.

A word of friendly advice though is not to underestimate its efficiency when you first start using it. Best to install it when you can be around to keep an eye on it initially. Also because of its efficiency a bottle dump should it occur could be catastrophic. To avoid this change the co2 canister as soon as the high pressure gauge falls below around 45bar, do not try to squeeze the dregs out of the pressurised canister especially an FE your just asking for trouble IMO.

From my experience with this unit I reckon on getting about a third extra life from a co2 canister than I did when diffusing with an internal ceramic disk type diffuser (but that probably depends a lot on surface turbulance and what diffuser you were using initially), and of course its another piece of kit out of the tank.

Another factor which could effect performance is the actual size of the tank its used on. For instance its rated for use on planted tanks upto 1000Litres but reckon you would simply have to have the bioballs in there for this application as the surface area of the balls gives the co2 bubbles somewhere to cling to which assists dissolving aswell as helping to break up the larger bubbles as they are smashed into the balls by the flow. Thats why when used on smaller tanks (ok on a 250L with a TT EX1200) the bioballs aren't really necessary not sure at what sized tank there inclusion is needed though.

Regards, Chris.

Voo said:
I'm using the aquamedic 1000 from Steve on a Rena Xp3. Works a treat! Very efficient, i'm only having to run 2-3 bps on a 450l tank.

However, i've had to use hose reducers for it to fit in. The tails are just slightly smaller than a 16mm pipe. I thought i could get away with it by using jubliee clips, but no... it leaked :(

I have mine on a EX1200 and i use reducers and have no issue. Im running it on a 500l tank and have an uncountable stream and get some buildup over a few months. my flow is still good. I have mine tilted rather than straight and this made a difference.

Just be aware sometimes the screw in bits are not screwed in hard enough and will leak.

Back