• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

fishless/plantless cycling!

dkm

Hi,

Looking for a bit of expert advice.

Was wondering, ammonia is toxic to fish and plants! Therefore is it possible to cycle a aquarium with just substrate, rock and water with filters turned on?

I am a patient man and dont mind waiting to stock my aquarium. Just want to give everything the best start. I have a ADA Power Sand Special base with Aquasoil Amazonian substrate. I know this will put alot of ammonia into the water column so would it be possible just to cycle it with the substrate and seiryu stone? The ammonia should start the nitrogen cycle!

Would this be ok? Would it be beneficial or detrimental to the long term success of the aquarium.

If it would be good for the aquarium how would I go about doing it? How much water changes etc?

I know I could be totally wrong about this and this might be a daft question but wanted to ask all the same.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

Cycling with Aqua Soil and plants is common. I've done it a few times now. Plants alone can cycle filters, as they also produce ammonia, but no way near as much as Aqua Soil.

Ignore the stone. That has no impact on cycling. It's not like live rock in a marine tank... ;)

Change at least 50% of the water twice per week to help keep algae at bay, and run a 6 hour photoperiod.

Test for ammonia and nitrite before adding any fish or shrimp. Three weeks after initial set up is usually plenty of time.

Thanks George,

So are you saying it is not possible to cycle without plants or it will not be as good without plants? If it is just as good to cycle without plants I would prefer this method. That is if it is a method! :lol:

Dave

You can cycle fine without plants, of you have a source of ammonia i.e. Aqua Soil.

Most of us prefer to plant right away, before fish are added, then let the plants mature a little. Then the fish are happier when they are added to a mature tank. The plants also help to mature the filter and substrate.

If you decide to plant at the same time as, or after adding fish, you are needlessly stressing them.

I also like to plant well before adding fish as it gives me more time to choose appropriate species that match my planting and layout.

It's your call though.

Yes I agree with you George.

My idea was to cycle the aquarium for a few weeks without plants and fish, inverts etc. Then add my plants after the ammonia spike has reduced. Then wait a few more weeks (or as long as required) for the plants to help mature the filters before starting to add any fish.

would this work? Would it be beneficial for the plants? Would it reduce any algae problems? These are the kind of questions I am asking myself and the reason to ask the question of fishless/plantless cycling.

Thanks again for your quick expert responses George.

dave

I see.

Well, planting earlier or later doesn't really matter, if you're happy to wait. There will be less risk of algae if you wait until the ammonia has reduced before planting. This is why the big water changes are recommended if you plant when the Aqua Soil is new.

A few years ago a friend did 'dark cylcling' with Aqua Soil that worked well. He completely blacked out the tank until the cycling was complete so algae growth was impossible.

Most of us (me, at least) are too keen with planting to wait for these things. I have deadlines to work to for my work, but if you're a patient fellow then waiting is a good idea!

All the best.

I am a very patient man. I like to take my time with things. I dont have deadlines to work to so that helps a lot. I also hate algae. (like everyone else)

So it is agreed, the longest method but good method of doing it. I am itching to get life in it but want the best start possible for all tank inhabitants.

I wont black out the aquarium but will not have the lights on and the room is quite dark as well.

so in your opinion George if doing it without plants how much and how often should I do water changes? Still 50% 2 times a week?

Again thank you for your expertise. Your assistance is very valuable to me.

Dave

Thanks George,

Thats decided then.
Will start a journal soon.

Dave

Back