• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

To Prune or Not to Prune?

phantomfisher

I have 6 Echinodorus bleheri which have not been doing to well recently and have developed brown blotches on the leaves (see following links) http://www.phantomfisher.com/images/echinodorusProblem1.jpg and http://www.phantomfisher.com/images/echinodorusProblem2.jpg.

I have discovered that the problem with the leaves was due to not enough Co2 injection which I have now rectified. However I am not sure what to do about the damaged leaves, should I remove them or leave them? If they are to be removed does this also include leaves that have only very minor browning?

All advice much appreciated.

The damaged leafs should be removed as they are not going to recover.

Two option.
1. Remove the whole plant and peal back the leaf to the root thus removing the stem and leaf from the plant and replant
2. Pinch or cut off the stem + damaged leaf at the level of the substrate

Personel i would remove the whole plant then your can see what you are doing and all the damged leafs / stem are removed

Paul.

Many thanks for the advice.

There are a couple of plants where there will be hardly any leaves left, will this be ok? Also what about the leaves that have a very small amount of damage should these also be removed?

phantomfisher said:
Many thanks for the advice.

There are a couple of plants where there will be hardly any leaves left, will this be ok? Also what about the leaves that have a very small amount of damage should these also be removed?

Any damage remove it - the plant will try to repair its self concentrating all it energy in repair the damage rather than growing and it fighting a losing battle - dont worry if there are only a few leafs left - more will grow in time and they will be healthy.

Paul.

The best option all round for your tank and plant is to remove the bad leaves in-situ. You risk algae blooms and further damage to the plant buy uprooting it.

Prune the plant as low as you possibly can...dont be scared.

Cheers.

Thank you both for the advice, I am carrying out a 50% water change tonight so will get stuck in with the hedge trimmer then :crazy:

Back