• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'joining' filters

Nick16

hi guys, i plan to use 2 Ex1200's on my next scape and was thinking, can i join up the two spraybars in the tank to make one big one? Is this possible or will it potentially cause stress on one or both of the filters?

i want to do this to improve my co2 distribution as it will be dissolved into one of the 1200 outlets and by joining them up, the co2 will instantly be spread aroud all of the tank. (before the koralias have chance!)

ahh i will explain. im still going to use both sets of spraybars from both my 1200's, i just want to join them up, instead of having 2 seperate ones. The spraybar will be able to handle the volume for sure, its just whether i break the filters. :(

With that kind of setup you would for sure not break the filters. There might be a slight loss of the combined flow.

But why so difficult and not just put both spraybars just straight next to each other in the tank? Would have the same optical effect

its for co2 distribution purposes really.
if i just have 2 spraybars the co2 will be going into one side of the tank and not the other, which means im going to have to use koralias. Whereas if i join them, the co2 will be pumped along the spraybar more to the middle of the tank.

However, im going tro have a koralia in there anyway so its no real biggy.
im tempted to buy my self an Aquamedic 1000

Nick16 said:
its for co2 distribution purposes really.
if i just have 2 spraybars the co2 will be going into one side of the tank and not the other, which means im going to have to use koralias. Whereas if i join them, the co2 will be pumped along the spraybar more to the middle of the tank.

However, im going tro have a koralia in there anyway so its no real biggy.
im tempted to buy my self an Aquamedic 1000

Joining the 2 spray bars will not give you any advantage as the waters pumped into both ends of the bar will not mix very much within the spray bar.

What it could do is cause problems as when one blocks more than the other, or if one filter goes off for any reason, water will get pumped down towards the other filter and maybe even into it! Leave them separate IMO.

skinz180189 said:
Can you not plumb both outlet into one long spray bar using a Y connector?

Doing that will restrict the flow rate as you will be pumping two pipe's worth of water into just one pipe. With low pressure pumps such as external filters that can really restrict the flow significantly.

yeah, even if i did that, i would have to use wider diameter tubing and it would become a faff.
i think i might stick to have 2 seperate externals and not join them up.

thanks though guys, its been a question ive wanted to ask for a while now.

Ed Seeley said:
skinz180189 said:
Can you not plumb both outlet into one long spray bar using a Y connector?

Doing that will restrict the flow rate as you will be pumping two pipe's worth of water into just one pipe. With low pressure pumps such as external filters that can really restrict the flow significantly.

I was thinking along the lines of my first post in here, in which I mentioned it would need to be a larger bore spraybar :)

Back