• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

AS Malaya turned to mud

viktorlantos

Aquascaper
Hi guys, i know some of you faced with this problem with AS Malaya that the soil turned to be mud in a very short time.
Do you have any explanation for this? What causing this thing? A friend of mine choose this substrate, and after 6 weeks half of the substrate turned to mud.

I do not have any explanation for this. Especially as many great tank are out there with this soil. From oli knott to many others. he even won an AGA award with a malaya based substrate.

and just like in UK and in the world lot of people using the AS soils without any problem, but only 1 person reported me this problem.

if you have any idea would appreciate that. :rolleyes:

All I know is that I had one customer with the same problem, or actually two different ones who bought one bag together. They had this exact same problem in both their tanks.

It still puzzles me as of today, since I have sold many bags before without this problem. I even have the stuff in my own main tank, and without problems.

ADA changed manufacturer of AquaSoil after many problems were reported and bad batches were let through the quality inspections. ADA did their best to cover this up with excuses, but the bottom line is there was a problem which should now be resolved.

afaik, all varieties of AquaSoil were effected, but I've only heard of problems with Malaya and Amazonia II.

I guess some of the batches had less/0 of whatever binder they use to make the substrate granules or they didnt bake it enough or something

Hi Planters.
I bought Ada Africa,i think it was about a year and a half ago.
I had to remove it from my planted aquarium as it compacted and was not benefiting my plants.
I mixed it with some flourite red to break the composition up as i didn't want to bin it, and its still in the garage.
It wasn't cheap either.Has others had this problem?
hoggie

I won't be buying Malaya again for the reason that it crumbles up to easily, leaving dusty deposits on plants/decor.

Back