• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Vallis turning brown/transparent

naija

Seedling
My planted tank is about 1 week old now and I am currently 4 days into a fishless cycle (dosing with household ammonia). I am weekly dosing Seachem Flourish, and using the appropriate daily dosing regime of Seachem Flourish Excel as my carbon source with a 6 hour period of lighting. I have planted the tank fairly heavily (I think :? ) with Vallisneria spiralis, Microsorum pteropus (on wood), Cabomba caroliniana, Hemianthus micranthemoides and Eleocharis parvulus. Unfortunately the Vallis are now turning brown/transparent and the Bacopa is developing large black blotches on the lower leaves.

What am I doing wrong? Is the Vallis failing because of the liquid carbon, if so is that the problem with the Bacopa as well :?:
Pictures and tank specification below, thanks

dscf1398n.jpg

dscf1397.jpg

I've found even small amounts of liquid carbon can be very damaging to vallis. How soft is your water?
Liquid carbon + soft water will give you virtually zero chance of success. My vallis did OK with liquid carbon in very hard water, but anything below that it couldn't cope.

The water is actually quite hard (approximately 21°dH); so is Bacopa also sensitive to liquid carbon? I read on another forum that if Bacopa's leaves are melting it may be because they were previously grown emergent. The growing tips don't seem to be affected so I may just leave them and replant the tops once they get longer. Should I give up on the Vallis though as I'm sticking with liquid carbon? Any thoughts on Cyperus Helferi as an alternative?

Hiya, I've grown bacopa with liquid carbon and didn't have any problems but I also grew tiger vallis as well without too much issue either. The melting leaves on the bacopa could well be emersed growth, so I would stick with that one and let it come back, the bare stems will grow side shoots once the main shoot is removed when it reaches the surface. I did find limnophila sessiliflora to be sensitive to liquid carbon too, ended up leaving an awful mess. I was only using it to get rid of some hair algae too!

Back