• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias gone wrong :(

mlgt

Hi,

I have a Juwel 180l tank, internal filter and external Eheim 2217 Classic filter.
Lighting is standard lights which are on 6 hours a day (trialling)

Picture042-1.jpg

Here is the pic of my tank and my questions are. If you look at my anubias, after a week or so it started changing colour. Is it too much light?
Picture043.jpg

Lastly here is the Swordplants I bought on saturday. Today it is looking like this.
Picture045.jpg

Could it be my naughty Leopard plec?

Please help. I have bought TPN and some ferts this week as well.

Hiya, I'd definately point the finger of suspicion at the plec for the sword damage!!! As for the anubias, I'm not too sure, possibly a reaction to being submerged? :? Are you feeding your plants yet?

hmm im not to sure on it being the plec, it might be, but im suspicious.

for the anubias, its deffinately a shortage of something.

do you use any co2? and have you been dosing/what quantities of ferts?

I dont use any co2 but was told that easycarbo can melt the vallis I have so I decided to buy some dry ferts.

I have some Trace and Monopotassium Phosphate which I was told was good for anubias and friendly to vallis.

I havent doused it yet because I need to pick up a measuring spoon which shows 1/8th.

Too much light and not enough CO2 for that level of lighting. Either lower the light or add CO2/Excel.

Cheers,

A few questions need to be asked:

1. Lighting - you have said that its standard lights - are they T5 or T8, two ways of telling which are which T5 are 5/8" O.D and T8 are 1" O.D or T5 will hurt your eyes looking at them.

2. Was the anubias bought locally and was it submerge (completely underwater) when you bought it, if was submerge we can rule out the transformation of being semi submerged to full submerged and partially rule out water parameters ie PH & GH / KH. Aquatic shop dont really look after their plants - not like we do, were the leafs showing any signs of defects (going brown) when you bought them? my personel view is that its a lack of fertz as usually these symptoms indicate a lack of iron which is in your fertz mix.

3. The sword damage is down to the plec - i had two ech. rubins and my plec's worked their way up and down the plants removing all the pigment until they look like a lace plant.

Remove the damaged leafs on both plants stem and all and start dosing your TPN.

Regards
paul.

Thanks for the info guys.

I am going to rehome the plecs now. I bought then no bigger than a thumb and they have grown to monsters now and although I place 3 algae wafers into the tank before I head to work and twice during the evening when I return I suspected it was them Nomming on the plants :(

Ive stopped using so much light as of the last 2 weeks and only turn on the lights from 6-11pm each evening when I am home.

T5 are the newer ones right? I have the older T8s in the tank and I know they need replacing.

Ive started my TPN tonight and put a pinch of trace elements into the water.

Excllent! All I need is half teaspoon then.

Would I douse this every other day? I assume one day feed and 1 day rest with a water change in between.

The issue I have is that daily I do a water change for my discus. Its usually around 40l each day which is roughly a 25% change.

Perhaps after the water change I can add 1/4 teaspoon each day to allow the nutrients to be absorbed over night.

I have thought about co2, but might be something to try out next year when I buy my house.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Rik

Back