• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants for shrimp breeding tank

hipknoteyes

Hi

I am just about the set up breed tank for Crystal Red Shrimp and was wondering if anyone can recommend what plants to put in.

It is going to be low tech (no CO2), I will be using Argos play sand with coral gravel as a substrate and do intend adding ferts or easycarbo. My water is soft and fairly neutral and I plan to keep the temperature at about 24c.

I have a selection of moss, a mature java fern, some Amazon Frogbit (kindly provided by chilled), I also have what I believe to be some kind on crypt which is growing really well in my community tank.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

My success with shrimp is always in tanks with lots of Mosses. So in short you dont need lots of different plants

I have bred crystal red in a tank full of mosses and bogwood. They are quite simple creatures and as long as they have lots of hiding holes and cover, wont feel threatened and you should see lots of them. Try to keep your conditions stable and your water condition good.

Then tend to take a short while to get settled and start breeding, were as cherry shrimps etc, you just need to add water. :lol:

I have been lucky recently though, my CRS are breeding in my kitchen tank, this tank is heavily planted though so plenty of cover.
Any questions just give me a shout......
Good luck :thumbup:
Andyh

Hi Andy

I have got a small collection of moss - seems to be a collection of different mosses that it got off the bloke I originally bought the shrimp off. I have also got a small amount of fissiden fontanus (very small amount). I could probably do with some more but I am a bit cautiouos about where I get it from incase it has been treated with chemicals that might harm the shrimp - I think I will put an ad in the wanted section.

I have been breeding CRS in my community tank for about a year but I think they will be happier in a tank of thier own. The tank I have bought is 130 litres and I plan to put in a bit of bog wood or 2, a few rocks and I will be using a couple of air driven sponge filters.

Thanks for the advice.

By the way what grade shrimp do you breed - my stock is currently mainly a mixture of A-C grades but I would like to aquire some better grades.

I had some riccia floating in my shrimp tank, they were always hanging around on there.

Hi Voo

I am aquiring some more Frogbit off Chilled but I might try to aquire some riccia and more moss.

Cheers

Back