• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

36cm nano

Hello,
Got some sad news :crying: .
For an unkown reason all the boraras brigittae died and with that almost took with them all my crystal black shrimp colony. Just got one shrimp left.
Started with big wc to keep ammonia levels to acceptable levels for shrimp and fish.
4115638928_b1e16b8f75_o.jpg

4114861473_a0fde9e159_o.jpg

Oh no! They're such beauties once they grow a bit and colour up :(
But good luck with it all. The tank itsef is ooking ace!

Hi,
Already ordered a new nano tank for next project... :D
But decided to introduce new shrimps to the tank. A small colony of crystal red shrimp...

4131161109_27552ff8c2_o.jpg

4132019494_83480fb086_o.jpg

4131261605_a9b0b6ba30_o.jpg

Thats a dead nice tank! Good choice on shrimp too! Look good when there is a sea of red and white ;)

I keep CRS but I've always been curious what the result would be when they breed with crystal black shrimp? :rolleyes: I'm guessing your the person to ask as you have both!

Yeah they are the same breed, just different colour variations. I don't think they work the same as cherrys, yellows, etc in you getting dull hybrids though.

You might want to be careful or else you will end up losing some of those precious crystal red shrimp. The anubias that you got in the tank is poisonous to the shrimp and trimming the plants will most inevitably kill of your crystal red. So far anubias plant and cryptocoryne is a no no when it comes to crystal red shrimp.

Wraithio said:
Thats a dead nice tank! Good choice on shrimp too! Look good when there is a sea of red and white ;)
Thanks.... glad you like it.
It's indeed a beautifull sight, the contrast between the green plants and red's of the shrimps.
NeilW said:
I keep CRS but I've always been curious what the result would be when they breed with crystal black shrimp? :rolleyes: I'm guessing your the person to ask as you have both!
Wraithio said:
I think you just end up with a mix of both?
Wraithio said:
NeilW said:
Wraithio said:
Black and red?! May think about getting some black ones next time I get some :thumbup:
Wraithio said:
Yeah they are the same breed, just different colour variations. I don't think they work the same as cherrys, yellows, etc in you getting dull hybrids though.
Thanks to all...
I'm not an expert about keeping this kind of shrimps, but when you mix CRS and CBS, their offspring will look like their parents. So, no black and red shrimp will appear. You can have some of the CBS with a brownish colouration.
Btw, I don't have Crystal black shrimps in this tank anymore... :(
daniel19831123 said:
You might want to be careful or else you will end up losing some of those precious crystal red shrimp. The anubias that you got in the tank is poisonous to the shrimp and trimming the plants will most inevitably kill of your crystal red. So far anubias plant and cryptocoryne is a no no when it comes to crystal red shrimp.
Hi Daniel,
About that.... in my opinion it's only a myth. All plants release substances or toxins into the water. Just google it for alelopathy.

A week after adding the crystal red shrimp, life in the nano tank goes on. The CPD's are very fun to watch, got lot's of new red cherry shrimp and the crystal red shrimps are doing great.

Some algae just started to appear on the rocks, but got no major concerns about it. A simple nerite snail will do the job.
4144140605_143b80e137_o.jpg

4144909372_cec4bdbb36_o.jpg

4144914340_4df9d93ca4_o.jpg

4144920294_68009f3e1c_o.jpg

saintly said:
you produce some really nice images joe :D
Thanks mate...
I just take loads of pics and then choose the best. Still improving my skills :D

AdAndrews said:
looks great. more mature now rocks have a little colour on them
Hi,
Will try this week to add a nerite snail or two to sort that "colour" :twisted:

Tonser said:
Sorry to hear about your losses Joe, but congrats on the new inhabitanks. The tank looks beautiful, there is something about photos of shrimps on fissidens that just looks magical to me, I think its a scale thing :D

Tony
Thanks Tonser. In fact black crystal shrimp are an old time favourite and will try to add at least two CBS as soon as possible to the nano.
Fissidens are great mosses and give that "special" touch to any invert/ shrimp tank.

Hi,
Got some updates....
Today I bought new bulbs to replace the old ones and bought a group of corydoras pygmaeus to keep CPD's distracted.... and it works.
4153057377_2ca8208388_o.jpg

4153822728_c8f673dbb4_o.jpg

4153831532_d11acc49e9_o.jpg

4153074845_21a75faefc_o.jpg

saintly said:
nice images joe

just watch the metering on the camera. they look a tad under exposed.
Thanks mate... I will pay more attention next time :oops:

Some pics to share.
My berried female red shrimp.
4155457137_39820b8502_o.jpg

and my mosses.
4155480713_8d74eec4a3_o.jpg

4156246242_f1c37d5022_o.jpg

Hi,
During last week I replaced my bulbs. Since then I've noticed some really nice growth from bolbitis and mosses.
Noticed as well some clado algae growing in the driftwood and for precaution I reduced the light quantity, just living one bulb on.
Will keep daily water changes of 10% and, if the algae don't go will have to try CO2. Will see what happens now.
4171664531_ab75fe53a3_o.jpg

4172443176_28f452be3f_o.jpg

4172450136_c1637ec316_o.jpg

Back