• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Comp_Nov09: Mossy Stream II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilW

Name: Neil

Tank Dimensions (Height/Width/Depth): 10 x 10 x 10cm

Aquascape Name: Mossy Stream II

Hardscape/Materials used: LFS landscape rock, TGM graded gravels, ADA Forest Sand Xingu, slate

Plants: Salvinia natans, Riccia fluitans, Taxiphyllum barbieri

Fertilisation:
TPN+ 5 drops daily
EasyCarbo 5 drops daily
EasyNeo 1 ml at W/C

About the aquascape:
Sadly my first pico entry 'Mossy Stream' sprang a leak :(. Its replacement is based on the same idea of a mossy stream but I learnt a few things whilst setting up the first so this is new and improved! I have added a Riccia stone from my nano tank which looks a lot more lush in addition to the moss, and also some floating Salvinia Natans for an authentic 'stream' look.

The scape cost me £17.29; £6.79 for the Azoo Mignon 60 and £10.50 for the glass cube (its the only square vase I could find in Winchester!). As I could only find a 10cm cube it was a challenge to fit everything in! The plants were from my nano setup and lighting comes from a 20w halogen desk lamp that was kicking around. In a moment of inspiration I added a 'stand/cabinet' from an unused photo cube with some nice japanese paper in the panels. Coincidently it was exactly the right size!

full001small.jpg

closeupsmall.jpg

corner001small.jpg

corner002small.jpg

Setting Up
startup001.jpg

startup002.jpg

For the Azoo filter to sit right and so that it wasn't sucking up sand I made this using acrylic from the sadly demised first tank and a glue gun;
startup003.jpg

startup004.jpg

startup005.jpg

and finally here is the full set-up in situ :)
thesetupsmall.jpg

AdAndrews said:
looks awesome, well done for sticking in there :)

last 2 pics didnt work btw.

Just got it in in time I think :p :D
hmm I'll take a look at those pics, they're working for me I just think Its too many maybe for one post so it struggles?

billy boy said:
Sweet :thumbup: And that stand round's it off :D
Cheers! Im pretty chuffed with the clean look of it with the stand. On the filter packaging they showed a clear plastic version of the same model which would have been nice but I got sent the black one:( not so minimal haha!

Neil

i see what you mean, lots of similar bits.

I like your adaptor for the filter, may have to look at that myself

andyh said:
Neil

i see what you mean, lots of similar bits.

I like your adaptor for the filter, may have to look at that myself

You've used the gear a lot better than mine though :thumbup: and I think the extra few centimetres on your cube has made the difference, bit more 'breathing space' for the eye.

Update 14/12
This pico has been an uphill struggle but it's still going! :thumbup:
Have been battling against;
-diatoms (changed water more frequently, started dosing Easy Life EasyNeo to remove trace ammonia)
-forgot that Riccia won't attach itself like the moss and had to replace the original cotton thread with nylon
-managed to bleach out the Riccia by ODing on EasyCarbo so cut back on dosing
-algae in moss, solved by squirting EastCarbo at the moss and blowing trapped debris away with a pipette.

When I started dosing EasyNeo it works as a flocculant which showed up my very inadequate filter media. I added some ceramic rings as well as the existing floss which works better but has made the filter rattly so I may eventually try and get hold of some of those nylon bags you can get to hold media. Ceramic rings aren't the ideal thing really as the debris is smaller but its performing better than before. Maybe some carbon next time?

filterv.jpg

I also lowered the water level as it added to the 'stream' appearance with the large rock protruding above the surface. Growth has been slow (after blasting the Riccia!) apart from the Salvinia Natans which has gone crazy; I have to remove a good clump every few days! I quite like the more natural looking 'green' of the rocks with algae so havn't tried to scrub them :oops:

Just a quick pic to show;

img0409yi.jpg

The Riccia grew really nicley in the end Neil. I'm going to use some in my next Pico scape, gonna get one of those cute little filters as-well. Nice shots, Tom

TBRO said:
The Riccia grew really nicley in the end Neil. I'm going to use some in my next Pico scape, gonna get one of those cute little filters as-well. Nice shots, Tom

Ta very much! I had the Riccia in there as I knew the moss would be too slow so wanted something in there that be more obvious that it had grown during the comp. Weirdly I took these photos on Wednesday and since then the moss has had a growth spurt but I missed it in the photos where I took them early :rolleyes:. The filter was a pain to begin with as the media it comes with is rubbish so it just spat out whatever debris it took out when you turn the power off for a water change; its now just stuffed with filter floss and it works a treat!

Looking good Neil, love the lighting in the photos :thumbup: .
I was suprised how well Riccia did without CO2, it does'nt pearl the same, but it grows fast.

Cheers,
James

James Marshall said:
Looking good Neil, love the lighting in the photos :thumbup: .
I was suprised how well Riccia did without CO2, it does'nt pearl the same, but it grows fast.

Cheers,
James

Thanks James, thought I would try something more atmospheric and a background other than blue, white, or black. I got Riccia going in my main tank too without CO2 and it doesnt pearl either. Still grows quick as you say! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back