• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ID Please

aquaticmaniac

I'd appreciate it if someone could ID this for me :) Let me know if you need better photos. It's been growing emersed in my pond.

pi064.jpg

pi067.jpg

Hi all,
I think it may be a Callitriche sp. as well, (from Stace - "New Flora of the British Isles" - "leaves opposite, simple, linear, entire,....often forming terminal rosette.." ). If it is a native plant, C. stagnalis <http://www.plant-identification.co.uk/skye/callitrichaceae/callitriche-stagnalis.htm>is the most likely, but they are not fully 'I.D.'able without fruit. (the flower is minute and petal-less).
cheers Darrel

Thanks, Darrel. I suppose I won't know for sure until it flowers/fruits. Do you know if this plant is/can be used in aquariums? I haven't found much on that, except that it seems to get leggy at the bottom and clusters leaves near the surface of the water, which doesn't sound very appealing. I could just toss some in a spare tank I have and see what happens :D.

Hi Leah,
I've never tried it in a tank, I'm not sure how it gets on in warm water. It will grew fully submersed (and often does naturally), but it won't flower. Give it a go and see what happens, my suspicion would be that it will grow quite leggy.
I've got Ceratophyllum and Myriophyllum aquaticum (M. "brasiliense") from a pond in one tank, Ceratophyllum grows in exactly the same manner in the tank as it did in the pond, but you wouldn't believe the Myriophyllum is the same plant.
My suspicion is that Hemianthus callitrichoides ("callitrichoides" - the Callitriche like Hemianthus) gives a much better effect.
cheers Darrel

Hi, I have had Rotala Rotundifolia growing emerse outside in a bucket for about 5 years, it looks similar to your photo with 2 short round leaves at right angles to the pair below but the stems are pinkish. It usually flowers in late autumn and had masses of small pink flowers, although not this year?, It dies back in the frosts about January then comes back in early summer (assuming we get one). It does revert to the normal form if put back in a tank but it looks peculiar with round leaves at the bottom of the stem and pointed ones on the new growth.
Obviously its not a native species but you never know what the garden centre might try to sell as a pond plant.

John

Thanks, jolt. I don't think this is Rotala rotundifolia, as I have some too. I'm lead to believe this is a native species :)

Back