• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Getting it right?

mfcphil

After a year of losing plants I am making a major effort to get things right....here is what I'm doing now

For my 180l 40 UK Gallon tank. F/E Co2...2 x 35wat Juwel Hilite bulbs 8 hours per day...Co2 on 2 hours before light on and off 1 hour before lights out.

Filtration and flow. Fluval 305, Eheim Compact 2000 Pump attached to spray bar and Hydor Koralia

Potassium Nitrate & Potassium Phosphate [Mixed together in 500ml bottle]
Potassium Nitrate 53g
Potassium Phosphate 30g

dosage = 40ml 3 times per week

Trace
18g to 500ml for the solution

dosage = 40ml 3 times per week

Mon – Trace
Tue - Fert
Wed - Trace
Thur -Fert
Fri – Trace
Sat - nothing
Sun - water change Ferts

My question is...Is there anything else I need to be adding or do I finaly have it right?

Hi mfcphil
You have the right ingredients but not sure about the numbers. As I only use teaspoons I'm not 100% sure on your weights, but as an average we would roughly allow 6g per teaspoon.
I have a 180l heavily planted and dose
5 1/2 teaspons KN03 (approx. 33g)
2 teaspoons KH2P04 (approx. 12g)

1 1/4 teaspoons Trace (approx 7.5g)

You certainly won't have any shortages with your numbers :lol: .
Some people also add MGS04 but you may not need it as there may be plenty in your tap water already. MgS04 is used in the production of Chlorophyl, so if your plants stay green you won't need any ;) .
Maybe next time you mix up a batch, add them to 600ml of water and dose 50ml at a time. (600/50 = 12, 500/40 = 12.5 so you have an odd 1/2 a dose).
You'll also save yourself some pennies too :D .

Chris

Thanks for the input Chris

Alas I only have the 500ml bottles...only just started with 40ml I was dosing 25ml but was advised to up it....like they say better too much :)

Hi mfcphil

Just an idea for your next batch, why not add your powders to 300ml of water. That will fit in your 500ml bottle :lol:
As you would be looking for 12 equal doses for a 4 week supply, 300/12 =25ml per dose. Back to the same amount you were dosing but now the solution will be stronger, if that makes sense.
I used to think there must be more to EI than this, but there isn't, once you get your head round it. Honest.
I am now in the 'keep it simple' school :rolleyes:.

Chris.

chrisr01 said:
I am now in the 'keep it simple' school :rolleyes:.

As my bottle are 500ml and have maximum marking of 25ml in the dosing compartment, working out how much powder is required in 500ml bottles would be the simple thing to do....but my maths aint that good though :lol:

Hi mfcphil

mfcphil said:
working out how much powder is required in 500ml bottles would be the simple thing to do
Now that's the complicated thing to do :lol: .
How about working out what powders you need in your tank for the 4 week supply, and then divide your chosen solution volume by 12 :D .
Keeps it simple, innit.
That's why I settled on 600ml, this makes my dose a nice round 50ml. :D . Any number that is nicely divisable by 12 would do, within reason.
500 and 400ml don't work too well. For a volume of 500ml, your dose would be 41.6 ml and for a volume of 400ml your dose would be 33.3ml. Crazy numbers, which is why I suggested a volume of 300ml which makes your dose a nice round 25ml :lol:
Nice & easy.

Chris

So Chris I guess at 40ml per dose I am just about right!! :thumbup:

Thanks to Clive for putting me right on that. :clap:

Hi mfcphil
I'd say yes, it's just the strength of your solution you'd need to tweak the next time you mix up a batch.
No point in wasting it, eh :D
mfcphil said:
Thanks to Clive for putting me right on that. :clap:
He's put me straight on a few things too :thumbup:

Chris

Now back to the initial question is there anything else I need to be putting in the tank?

mfcphil said:
After a year of losing plants I am making a major effort to get things right....here is what I'm doing now

How long have you been maintaining this regime?

Are you experiencing any problems?

What substrate are you using?

Have you considered a liquid carbon additive (Easy Carbo)?

Substrate is Aqua Soil- Amazonia II

Just started the 40ml dosing this week after taking advice.

Have just added extra pump and spray bars to improve the flow in the tank. (co2 circulation post http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=8849)

Fingers crossed I am finally doing things right, the answers have been here all the time; I just was not listening properly :oops:

Back