• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: 90x45x45 "LlÅ·n Peninsula"

The rock is absolutely stunning, like nothing i have seen before, the purple kinda reminds me of a marine tank with coraline algae- that was meant in a good way :lol: It contrasts so well with the different shades of greens you have going on, well done mate!

Adam.

Balls :( 50% water changes every day, 5 hours of half light on 2x24w t5s, mature filter and ive got green water :( Never had this before on a tank so Im going to have to do some reading up on how to get rid.

and my solenoid isnt turning itself off at night now :twisted:

AdAndrews said:
The rock is absolutely stunning, like nothing i have seen before, the purple kinda reminds me of a marine tank with coraline algae- that was meant in a good way :lol: It contrasts so well with the different shades of greens you have going on, well done mate!
Cheers Adam, it really does have some nice colours in it. id love to know what type of rock it is. It seems to have some schist green stone plus it looks quite like slate but doesnt shear as easily as slate does.

Stu :D

There are a few solutions for your green water, no green algae treatment, an ultra violet clarifier, or the cheapest buy a few bags of live dapnia at your lsf.

they will eat your algae away in just a few days.

best regards, Maurits

Stu, What are you dosing?

Paul in kendal is having the same problem. We spoke this afternoon and I said....

" Only dose Easycarbo and K, do large water changes and get some filter floss in and wait to let it clear. This depends on if you have started to dose, or not. Its very common for iwagumis to do this. Very little biomass to water volume. Slowly slowly catchy monkey my mate "

Also, what are you doing with your lights again?

Boh!

This is going to look great, as someone has said, it's a classic gumi, which is fabtastic.
Looking forward to seeing it grown in.
Sorry to hear about your green water, hopefully you'll clear that quickly. Mine was gone after a UV filter.

What dosing method are you looking to employ on this tank?

Thanks for the advice and sorry for the lack of a reply.

In answer to the dosing ive been trying out the ADA stuff. Ive got tropica aquacare substrate and scapsules topped with ADA AS. Ive been dosing 5ml brighty K and 6ml easycarbo plus dumping loads of co2 in. I didnt think I was getting enough flow with the lilies and the ex1200 so I borrowed a koralia 1 off Dave Spencer (thanks dave :) ) to see how it looked in the tank. The flow is amazing off it plus it doesnt intrude too much so Ill be buying one this week so I can the loaner back to dave.

Re the green water ive been upping the water changes from 50% to about 70% per day and this seems to have helped. I dont think ill go down the blackout route just yet as i think it would hammer the HC too much, will probably just buy a cheap UV filter if it comes back.

Hopefully ill get the time tonight to get some pics of the tank as ive put some cherry shrimp in there to start the cleanup crew although fingers crossed theres no sign of any algae yet (apart from the colour of the water).

Koralia's are great, mine is so good at creating disturbance rather than just blasting with a powerhead jet type situation. Would recommend them to any one, and the big plus is they are silent (if under the water).

Loads of cheap UV filters on ebay! Seen them many times. :thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing some more pics.

Regards
Andyh

Good luck with the green water, Stu. Graeme's good advice has made major inroads in mine, though not cleared yet. I missed the advice about easycarbo, so I'll be getting some of that to dose too. And I'm gonna take a leaf out of your book and go for 80% changes instead of 50%.

I've now got thread algae too - you better not start copying me by getting that one too! :(

paul.in.kendal said:
Good luck with the green water, Stu. Graeme's good advice has made major inroads in mine, though not cleared yet. I missed the advice about easycarbo, so I'll be getting some of that to dose too. And I'm gonna take a leaf out of your book and go for 80% changes instead of 50%.

I've now got thread algae too - you better not start copying me by getting that one too! :(
its chugging along at the mo, i just need the HC to start taking hold but luckily im not getting any dieback.

dont forget that on yours the HC was probably emmersed so its changing form to immersed at the moment (hope I got them the right way around!) Ive had that with HC where it melts a bit then comes back once its converted.

The HC in mine has all been grown underwater but on the surface of the tank so it went a bit wild. Its not had to do any conversion to submerged growing which is a help.

Re the easycarbo, its great stuff, HC loves it but watch your vallis as I dont think it likes it.

Thanks for the pointer about immersed/emersed HC, Stu. That's reassuring. I'm going through the 'Punishment' part of 'Punishment of Luxury' at the mo. Your rockwork looks brilliant - and for next to nothing! I need to get my eye in for looking for rocks. I was at Glenridding Spit on the shores of Ullswater this morning, where several hundred tons of huge, beautiful water-worn boulders were being dug out of the beck after the floods - and it only dawned on me after I'd left that they would be perfect for aquascaping - doh!

Sorry about the hi-jack. :D

paul.in.kendal said:
Thanks for the pointer about immersed/emersed HC, Stu. That's reassuring. I'm going through the 'Punishment' part of 'Punishment of Luxury' at the mo. Your rockwork looks brilliant - and for next to nothing! I need to get my eye in for looking for rocks. I was at Glenridding Spit on the shores of Ullswater this morning, where several hundred tons of huge, beautiful water-worn boulders were being dug out of the beck after the floods - and it only dawned on me after I'd left that they would be perfect for aquascaping - doh!

Sorry about the hi-jack. :D
No probs re the hijack paul, the infos relevant to both our tanks :)

You missed out on that rock. I was speaking to someone the other week about legally collecting rock and it seems the authorities in control are getting relaxed about taking stuff washed down by floods as they just dont want it there! Obviously youd have to check before taking anything.

Ive taken some pics tonight and put up a pic from day 1 last week. Some of the HC has been getting blown about so its looking thinner in a few parts. I took out the koralia1 for the photos tonight. Just ordered a new one so will be able to give dave his back soon :D

Day 1
4153419117_aacbb43c49_o.jpg

Day 7
4153418055_c0a2ef5ce3_o.jpg

From the sides

4153418891_67fe377620_o.jpg

4154178382_582f3c2dc9_o.jpg

4154178058_bf09537a8f_o.jpg

Just read the full journal from the start, Stu. What a great set up, you must be chuffed to bits mate.

I particularly like this side shot.
4153418891_67fe377620_o.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this when its all grown up ;)

Wow! That's a sexy set up! :D Exactly what I'm after but with a Solar I!! :p :p

The aquascape looks very nice too. It really suits the hardware - if that makes sense?

Vito said:
I love it stu! I think im going opti next time. no all you have to do is sit back and watch it grow...
Cheers vito. optiwhite all the way! it looks really nice and clear even with 10mm thick glass. I just wish the shrimp would stopp uprooting my HC :twisted:

NA-Fan said:
Wow! That's a sexy set up! :D Exactly what I'm after but with a Solar I!! :p :p

The aquascape looks very nice too. It really suits the hardware - if that makes sense?
Thanks laura, hopefully ill have enough money for a solar1 in the new year so watch this space :D

Love everything about this Stu!

Awesome stuff I'm sure it'll look the biz when grown in...well done mate :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mark!

That looks great. The rocks relate well from every angle that you show.

Back