• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Comp_Nov09:Small Wonder

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyh

Name: Andyh

Tank Dimensions (Height/Width/Depth): 14cm x14cmx14m cube/vase

Aquascape Name: Small Wonder

Hardscape/Materials used: Dragon Stone, ADA Amazonia, ADA Powersand S, pea gravel.

Plants: Hemianthus Callitrichoides Cuba, Cryptocoryne x willisii, Eleocharis parvula, Xmas Moss and Fissidens Fontanus

Fertilisation: Brighty K, Easy Carbo & ADA Step 1

About the aquascape: Created using leftovers from my other tanks. The only thing i have had to purchase was the vase which cost £12 and one portion of Hairgrass £3. I already had the desk lamp. I have kept the design simple, the idea is that the hairgrass at the back will create a feeling of depth whilst the HC at the front will hide the transition between the gravel and the substrate. I also added a frosted background

Photos:
In Situ in my study:
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Thanks for looking
Andyh :thumbup:

SteveUK said:
That's great Andy! I love how the stone protrudes out of the ground, like it's been there for millenia :)

Cheers Steve, its by no means the best on here......but i like it and i am going to keep it going for as long as possible.

Nice Scape Andy, The HC looks really good.

Cheers,
James

So, how can something so small need so much work!!!? :lol:

Have been doing regular water changes and dosing brighty k and easycarbo. Things looking good. The Cryptocoryne x willisii is growing, in fact two new leaves ! The HC pearls fairly regularly and the hair grass looks healthy, no die back. The only thing that doesn't look great is the java moss. But i am hopeful!

Been playing round with the level of the light as its on ex-tenable arms, i think it was too high.

Will try and get some pics later this week.

thanks for looking! :thumbup:

So i got myself a little filter out a clearance bin, its a hang on type made my AZOO called the Mignon 60. It fits my cube great.
The only challenge being that the intake is a little long, so i have removed the strainer and it works great. I didn't really want to start butchering it. As there are no fish should not be a drama. The best bit was it was only a fiver! :clap: :clap: :D
Sorry the picture isnt the greatest as it was taken with my phone.

web.jpg

andyh said:
:lol: I totaly agree, I am spending a ridiculous amount of time on mine, and it's so Damn fiddley too, Ifeel like a clumsy gardening giant :lol:

The plants are looking really healthy, have you seen any signs of algae yet?

Cheers,
James

James Marshall said:
andyh said:
:lol: I totaly agree, I am spending a ridiculous amount of time on mine, and it's so Damn fiddley too, Ifeel like a clumsy gardening giant :lol:

The plants are looking really healthy, have you seen any signs of algae yet?

Cheers,
James

Hey James, Its a real challenge just filling it back up with the jug to not disturb everything.
I am pleasantly surprised by the growth as it only 9 days old, the HC & hairgrass is starting to spread and the Crypt is spring new shoots again.

Only had a little brown diatoms on the glass, but a toothbrush and water change sorted that.

The filter has been running a couple of hours now and its doing its job well, its just keeping things moving and and the water is really clear now.

Here is a couple of pics the growth is good:

web.jpg

web.jpg

Check out the hairgrass runners:
web.jpg

Thanks for looking

Andyh

andyh said:
So i got myself a little filter out a clearance bin, its a hang on type made my AZOO called the Mignon 60. It fits my cube great.
The only challenge being that the intake is a little long, so i have removed the strainer and it works great. I didn't really want to start butchering it. As there are no fish should not be a drama. The best bit was it was only a fiver! :clap: :clap: :D

Haha I've almost got an identical setup :thumbup: - same filter, desk lamp and the same make of cube. The only difference is mine is the 10cm cube not the 14cm. I got round the long filter intake by making an acrylic block for the filter to sit on.

NeilW said:
andyh said:

Haha I've almost got an identical setup :thumbup: - same filter, desk lamp and the same make of cube. The only difference is mine is the 10cm cube not the 14cm. I got round the long filter intake by making an acrylic block for the filter to sit on.

I noticed this! Both look great.

NeilW said:
andyh said:

aquaticmaniac said:
NeilW said:
andyh said:

I noticed this! Both look great.

great minds think alike! :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

hi andy, did you use the media provided with the mignon 60 becuause i have the mignon 150 and the ammount of media provided is poor and i dont no if it would benifit if i just stuffed it with floss or if that would dammage it and the way it works.

glenn said:
hi andy, did you use the media provided with the mignon 60 becuause i have the mignon 150 and the ammount of media provided is poor and i dont no if it would benifit if i just stuffed it with floss or if that would dammage it and the way it works.
Glenn

I know what you mean their was a piece of floss and a small coarse black sponge. I am using them and yes the are probably no good whatsoever. I am considering other options but as i dont have any livestock its not to much of a concern.

Think you probably did the right thing, although you could always gets some media from an external and a mesh bag an that work, i.e give you more surface area? :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back