• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nerite snails work well

andyh

Just thought i would share this with you all. I managed to source a Nerite snail locally last week and i have put in my Kitchen tank Setup, he has been in there about a week and all i can say is boy does he like to eat algae! You can see where he has been, and he eats all types of Algae.

If you look at this picture below specifically at the lower third of the stone, you can see the path the snail has cleared, this section was like the top of the stone, covered in algae. There are entire rocks he has cleaned! :thumbup:
web.jpg

I totally agree,but I got rid of mine because of the eggs they lay were everywhere,
regards john.

dont no about anyones else but mine seem very inactive and stay in the same spot most of the time, are mine just lazy or is there something i should be checking.

jonesy said:
dont no about anyones else but mine seem very inactive and stay in the same spot most of the time, are mine just lazy or is there something i should be checking.
They should move every few days, take them out, if they stink they're dead. If you touch their foot they should retract it if they're alive.

Brenmuk said:
Will nerites be attacked by assassin snails?
I believe all snails will be eaten by assassins.

i kept a huuge apple snail in with an assasain and it didnt touch that. it was a fully grown one, a bit smaller than tennis ball sized.

Superman said:
jonesy said:
They should move every few days, take them out, if they stink they're dead. If you touch their foot they should retract it if they're alive.

Brenmuk said:
Will nerites be attacked by assassin snails?
I believe all snails will be eaten by assassins.

there still alive stuck to the glass just dont seem to be as active as everyone elses, maybe i just have lazy snails

john starkey said:
I totally agree,but I got rid of mine because of the eggs they lay were everywhere,
regards john.

John

Do i need two for them to breed? or are those clever types that do it all themselves.... :lol:

Hi all,
Some people keep Nerite snails for their egg production (usually the Olive Nerite, Neritina reclivata) you need a male and a female (and they aren't sexable), and they do best in brackish water, but this is possible in hard fresh water. After the eggs hatch and the veliger stage larvae swim upward and are attracted towards light (bit like baby brine shrimp), and if you shine a small light you can concentrate them in one spot and pipette them out. The larvae are excellent food for baby Gobies, pipe-fish, Killies etc and you can feed them in both fresh and salt water. I got this method from "Culturing Live Foods" by Michael Hellweg, well worth a read.
cheers Darrel

Whoa there people!!

George - you misunderstood, i don't want snail eggs everywhere so just wanted to check that one would be ok? o_O

However useful info dw1305 & George as i do fancy a brackish water tank in the not so distant future ( ;) secret)

Thanks

Andy

Hello,

what's the best temperature you can keep these Nerite snails in?

My tank is mostly 25-27C...

Thanks

Mr Louii

Back