• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Adam's 40cm Nano

AdAndrews said:
Just had an e-mail from wholesale tropicals, they say they have sold the rasbora over the weekend, so cant fulfill my order :twisted: bit of a joke seen as i placed it friday, anyways, im off to the fish shop tonight, to see what they have, might get a couple of sparkling gourami's, unsure yet.

Adam

didnt they say when they would be getting more in stock ?

nah, just to check the stock on their site as they should be getting some in asap

AdAndrews said:
nah, just to check the stock on their site as they should be getting some in asap

might be worth waiting and see if they can throw in afew extra fish for messing you about

Got some new fish!

12 boraras brittagae, although there was only 11 and 1 has already died
2 sparkling gourami's

cant take pictures at the moment as the tank is in darkness.

Nick16 said:
one has already died? why?

not sure, it may be due to high co2 levels, i had a little issue earlier(before i got new fish) when the shrimps and the otto where going crazy, drop checker was bright yellow and co2 was coming out really fast, its becuase im trying to find the correct level of co2, i guess this morning i must have turned it up instead of down :(

im not sure whats going on, all i know is i have deaths :(

tbh im glad i brought them from the lfs, because if they came fin the post, i'd think what the hell are these, they are much smaller than i imagine, if they all die out, i will probably just go with something like neons, as the scape isnt really one where im trying to make it look big

the co2 levels are unknown, i had been and have done water changes, about 10% every so often... although, i'd like to add, the shrimps, otto and gourami(new) all survived.

Sorry to hear about the brigittae. I also had kept some a while back in a planted tank and also suffed quite a few losses from the original 10-12 after a month I only had around half. Think they are probably a fish better kept in a tank with conditions as close to the natural habitat as possible, ie. blackwater.

On a possitive you've got another nice looking tank going, and maybe tetras might be a better bet. Possibly Green neons?

afroturf said:
Sorry to hear about the brigittae. I also had kept some a while back in a planted tank and also suffed quite a few losses from the original 10-12 after a month I only had around half. Think they are probably a fish better kept in a tank with conditions as close to the natural habitat as possible, ie. blackwater.

On a possitive you've got another nice looking tank going, and maybe tetras might be a better bet. Possibly Green neons?

green neons sound nice :) thanks mate

whats it when shrimps go up the glass and then hurtle down to the substrate, and then stay still? its a sign of something isnt it?

Hello

Sorry to hear about your losses, but your description of your shrimps combined with the loss of fish would suggest that you have a problem. My money would be on your CO2.

When you said earlier on your thread that you had a bright yellow drop checker, that aint good for livestock. I have a shoal of 20 plus brigittae in my Kitchen tank with no problems, my drop checker goes green (with slight yellow tinge) at the highest point. Any more and my shrimps and fish hit the surface and start gasping. The brigittae are very small and cant cope for as long as some of your larger fish.

I would complete at least a 50% water change straight away and get your CO2 right down and slowly increase it till you get your drop checker bright green.

I hope this helps o_O

AdAndrews said:
that was yesteday, its green now, and on the lower side, i think ive got 6 boraras left, so 5 dead.

Fingers crossed! ;)

they are wicked fish............when they aren't dying! o_O

im not sure, ive had a couple of thoughts now.. as i was doing alot of water changes yesterday(and using water out of the hot tap) im not sure if that had an affect, some people say, dont use water out of the hot tap, and seen as they are only little fish, that may be why, since their bodies wont be able to take as much. my other thought is, that the water was too cold that i was using for the water change, so that might have killed some, seen as i was pouring it right over where they were hiding in the stems.

filter is mature, so should be no problems with that.

ive just been watching them, they are actually really nice, shame they are £2.50 each though, seen as i have lost 5, so £12.50's worth :twisted:

the sparkling gourami's are very nice also, not too colourful, but have a nice blue eye, they are fairly shy, which sometimes can be anoying, but sometimes a nice thing

thanks for your help mate

Adam

ANOTHER :( atleast i know what it is though, they are getting sucked into the filter inlet. no point in doing anything now is there.

fit a net over it!

Fit a smaller strainer on your filter, eheim do one.

Put a sign for the fish saying beware of powerful suck! o_O

Back