• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Boyu Vs Up Aqua In-Line Diffusors - Quick Review

dsandson

Hi folks

I've just got a small co2 system for the 60l tank, and in doing so have now ended up with 2 inline external diffusors. Hence I thought a little comparison wouldnt go amiss.

Boyu In-Line Diffusor

Photo263.jpg

Cost me about £5.50 through ebay from Hong Kong. Fits 12mm & 16mm hose fittings.

I have to admit, even with postage, this is an excellent value purchase. Not only is it cheap, its also very efficient and produces a fine mist of micro-bubbles through the spray bar. No leaks at all, though for security I've used a pair of jubilee hose clips to ensure the hoses dont slip off. One major drawback is at a reasonable co2 rate on my 180l it was quite loud. Easily solved by wrapping a tea towel around it. The other is the relatively narrow bore (I think another member measured it at 9mm), which provides a small dip in flow.

Up Aqua CO2 Atomizer

Photo266.jpg

Not as widely known as the above unit, this was also bought off ebay. This time for £19. Comes in 3 sizes, this one is specifically for 16mm hoses.

First off its considerably dearer, and about 2/3 the size of the Boyu diffusor. However, it is made for the specific hose size you use, so the bore is an appropriate diameter. It has nuts on both hose connections, which I found to be rubbish, so ended up with the jubilee clips again. The co2 connector has a nut again, and this is fine to use.

When finally fitted, there were no leaks and the construction seemed much better quality, as befits the price. When in use, it almost completely dissolves all co2 when powered by the same 1500l/hr filter as was used with the boyu. It's also whisper quiet. I really have to put my ear right against it to hear if the co2 is really running ok!

I have to say I liked both of these, but would go with the Up Aqua CO2 Atomizer if I had the choice.

Dave

thanks dave, shame the up aqua diffuser' bolts didnt work very well, this would be one of the major reasons for choosing it over the boyu

thanks again
Adam

AdAndrews said:
thanks dave, shame the up aqua diffuser' bolts didnt work very well, this would be one of the major reasons for choosing it over the boyu

thanks again
Adam

well I would've thought the quietness over the boyou would have overcome the bolt's defiency :)

-----------------------

thanks dave :)

jarthel said:
well I would've thought the quietness over the boyou would have overcome the bolt's defiency :)

Definately! The tank its on is in the lounge. The 2 filters and one Koralia already make enough noise as it is!! And, the fact that I already had the jubilee clips helped.

Dave

Great comparison between these two.. I wonder how well the Cal Aqua In-line diffuser would compare in this test?

I'm yet to try the Up Aqua product, but I've long used the Boyu Diffuser and think its great. Never had a problem with hoses slipping off, so no need for jubilee clips imo, and while its far from silent, once the cupboard door is closed I can't hear it at all :thumbup:

I have to admit i was scared when i saw the title as i have already purchased a few days ago the UP Aqua model. o_O

After reading your excellent review i think i have made the right choice. Mine should be here next week so i will post my thoughts up.

Andyh

Sorry forgot to post on here.

I got my Up Aqua CO2 Atomizer, and all i can say is i am very happy indeed.

Couple of comments:

I have installed this on my kitchen tank and it has been running a few weeks now, with great success.

I didn't experience any problems with the hose nuts like detailed above, they worked fine for me. I am using the 12/16mm size unit. I didn't require any jubilee clips.

I did however experience one issue which was easily rectified, the working pressure of my JBL reg is 1.5bar, it would appear that the Up atomizer requires more than that (1.7bar)to provide sufficient pressure to allow the gas through the ceramic pipe. This was easily done using a allen key.

The mist produced by the diffuser if very fine indeed, and if you can live with that mist in your tank. This is really an excellent product. To the point that i have ordered a second one for my other tank. Its virtually silent.

CO2 Video Video of it working

There is a bit more in my Kitchen tank journal page 20.

Thanks

Andyh

jonesy said:
how are both these units fitted on the inflow or outflow of the filter ?

The intake or outlet pipe from or to the filter is cut in half, two jubilee clip are required and placed over the cut pipes, the two ends of the pipes are pushed onto the diffuser and secure in position with the jubilee clips.

Regards
Paul.

Flyfisherman said:
jonesy said:

The intake or outlet pipe from or to the filter is cut in half, two jubilee clip are required and placed over the cut pipes, the two ends of the pipes are pushed onto the diffuser and secure in position with the jubilee clips.

Regards
Paul.

so it doesnt matter which pipe you put it onto you still get the same results from both

I have had no reduction in flow on mine.
It should be fine on a 350l.

HIya,ive just installed my Up Aqua in line diffusor and i am pleased with it and the build no probs with the fitting neither just trying to get the co2 levels right.It produces a fine mist but i dont mind it.

Stu. :D :D :D :D

jonesy said:
Flyfisherman said:
jonesy said:

Regards
Paul.

so it doesnt matter which pipe you put it onto you still get the same results from both

Personnel view fit it on the outlet pipe as only filtered water is passing through it - if it was on the inlet side all the dirt / rubbish, muck etc will pass through it and possible block the pores.

Regards
Paul.

Back