• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anubias in the compost heap ???

Tony Swinney

Hi

This might be a very daft question but I'm going to ask it anyway :lol:

Could I have anubias growing in my compost heap :?:

All my trimmings and dead foliage from my tanks, which arent worth passing on, go onto my compost heap. Over the past few weeks, a plant has been growing very well from within said heap. We have nothing else in the garden like it, so I dont think it has come from any garden cuttings. It looks very much like emmersed form anubias.

Could it be an anubias has taken hold out there :?:

If so its huge :D

Anubias_0649.jpg

Anubias_0651.jpg

Did you ever have any arum lilies in your garden? looks like it's one of those to me. Probably grown quick from the heat in your compost pile! I'd resuce it quick before the frost gets it!!!

Andy

*edit* or have you binned a cheeseplant?!

Hi all,
It's definitely an "Arum" (Family Araceae same as Anubias), doesn't look quite right for Arum maculatum ("Lords and Ladies"). I'm pretty sure it's is the white Arum lily, Zantedeschia aethiopica, as suggested, which you can grow either dry in the garden, or emergent in a pond.
<http://www.broadleighbulbs.co.uk/images/spring/miscrz/zcrowborough.jpg>
cheers Darrel

Thanks very much guys - I know they were something like anubias (same family at least) :lol:

Cant think where they've come from, and cant really get them out of there either as they're growing between the timbers of the compost heap. Maybe I'll just cover them to protect them from the frost, and see how they go.

Cheers

Tony

Hi all,
It will form a tuber, and that should be quite well protected in the compost bin, even if the leaves are frosted off. Depends where you are in the UK, but if you are in the south, and it Z. aethiopica you can grow it as a garden plant, and even where it's colder it will often survive as an aquatic. It's semi-naturalised in Pembrokeshire and W. ireland (I expect in Cornwall as well) along ditches etc.
cheers Darrel

Back