• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant Indentification

andyh

004.jpg

This tank is one of Amano's masterpieces.

Please can anybody confirm what the small leafed plant at low level all along the front is?
I think its a Anubias, but i am unsure which one?

Anybody able to give me any info on this would be much appreciated. :thumbup:

Anubias barteri nana barteri, it's not the petite one, it's the normal one.

gratts said:
Yep, Anubias barteri var. nana:
http://www.tropica.com/productcard_1_po ... mode=close

There is a smaller version that has been developed, which is basically the same plant/leaf shape but shrunk down.
Tropica refer to it as Anubias barteri var. nana 'Petite':
http://www.tropica.com/productcard_1.asp?id=101H
while Aquafleur sell theirs as Anubias barteri var. nana 'Bonsai':
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.p ... ts_id=2768

Cheers Gratts!

Now the decision is which size to go for! :?: o_O

that tank is incredible, that is truly art, amano is definately the man.
shame more people havent heard of his works.

Thanks guys gone petite!

Will let you know how i get on.

Its best to tie this to a piece of wood or stone, isnt it?
Does it require lots of light, as i have a perfect place for it i think in a shaded non direct light location?

andyh said:
Thanks guys gone petite!

Will let you know how i get on.

Its best to tie this to a piece of wood or stone, isnt it?
Does it require lots of light, as i have a perfect place for it i think in a shaded non direct light location?

anubias is an undemanding species.. dont bury the rhizome, otherwise it will rot. Tie it to wood/rock.

nana petite doesnt like direct light. Its also, very, very,very slow growing.

You would need a fair bit to cover the same size patch, or patience of a saint.

Good luck with it.

Graeme Edwards said:

Good luck with it.

thats why i always get fed up with anubias, it takes forever to grow, and in my case, always has green spot algae :?

AdAndrews said:
it takes forever to grow,

i've never suffered slow growth from anubias bonsai, and always had it in full sun....autumn blush and my current set up, both have/had anubias in full light.

early days 'autumn blush'

somethingtetras.jpg

Graeme Edwards said:

Good luck with it.

saintly said:
AdAndrews said:
it takes forever to grow,

i've never suffered slow growth from anubias bonsai, and always had it in full sun....autumn blush and my current set up, both have/had anubias in full light.

early days 'autumn blush'

somethingtetras.jpg

That's why i enjoy this hobby, two of the respected UKAPS aquascapers with completely different experiences of the same plant! That is why this hobby is great because its never straight forward.

Its already ordered and its going in my 35l nano so the smaller variety (aka Bonsai) was the right thing to do, it will be protected by a fern above it from completely direct light.

Mark, any secrets/tips you would like to share?
G-man, i like a challenge!

Thanks for you comments!
Andy

andyh said:
That's why i enjoy this hobby, two of the respected UKAPS aquascapers with completely different experiences of the same plant! That is why this hobby is great because its never straight forward.

I think, me and Graeme, respectfully, run our tanks in different ways....both correct for our methods of dosing, co2 etc.

I must add, that i run my tanks with EI, usually @ double dosing, high co2 and high light. Autumn blush was probably the pinnacle in my 'high tech' life. but wont be the last set up in this manner. 150w of MH lighting over a 60 is extreme, but I found the balance pretty quickly. I had about 5 days of GSA in about 3 months. I then found the 'sweet spot' regards to lighting and everything was stable.

This leads me to your future set-up. depending on what your plans are, maybe a shaded are would be good for this plant but if your dosing and co2 are stable, your able to bang it in full light.

here it is @ 4 week....no signs of the usual GSA. and I'm confident I wont get it.

4weeks.jpg

My advice , would be to find that 'magical' height for your individual set up to avoid GSA.

super glue it to a rock...or preferably a pebble. Ideally place that pebble near to a nutrient rich substarte and the roots will burrow into it. I think this helped my Anubias no end.

you'll see the white roots which buried themselves.....

IMG_1448-01.jpg

I usually get about 4 or 5 new leaves a week. After about 3 or 4 weeks you'll get flowers. In my most recent set up, new leaves appeared within days.

Your first Amano image shows it in full light, so don't be afraid.

saintly said:
andyh said:

I think, me and Graeme, respectfully, run our tanks in different ways....both correct for our methods of dosing, co2 etc.

I usually get about 4 or 5 new leaves a week. After about 3 or 4 weeks you'll get flowers. In my most recent set up, new leaves appeared within days.

Your first Amano image shows it in full light, so don't be afraid.

In the interest of clarity no offense was meant, both you and Graeme are excellent scapers.....What i like is the fact that this hobby is so diverse if you not what i mean, one rule doesn't cover all. :thumbup:

Right on to your comments, you response is excellent! (its like "here is one I prepared earlier".) o_O

It can receive full light, although full light at the is stage is only 36w over a 35l. (this may change in the future but not right now.
I am putting plenty of CO2 and ADA ferts in, the only thing your making me consider is its location, i may put it in a couple of spots and see how it does, there is a slightly shaded area were i want it. But equally there is a full light spot too. I think one each since i ordered two.

Now Ref superglue and plants, never done this b4 just a couple of spots on a pebble and stick it on?
Is it ok for shrimps fish etc, I assume so but just wanted to ask.

Thanks for such a great and detailed response, i appreciate it; and as always top notch pics!

andyh said:
In the interest of clarity no offense was meant, both you and Graeme are excellent scapers.....What i like is the fact that this hobby is so diverse if you not what i mean, one rule doesn't cover all. :thumbup:

i know that matey. :D

andyh said:
Now Ref superglue and plants, never done this b4 just a couple of spots on a pebble and stick it on?

yes, get a good brand of glue though. Its harmless to fish etc.

let it cure for about a minute then it'll be done. :thumbup:

Back