• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Staurogyne sp planting

jonesy

Ordered some staurogyne sp from the green machine and i dont think i have planted it properly as most of the larger leaves are dieing and falling off, its been planted for about 3 days now it came potted but was quite large in height so i planted it by trimming the tops off the plants and planted them like a stem plant, is this correct and is it a case that the plant just needs time to adjust to the new tank or have i planted them wrong. Also got rotala sp and pogostemon helferi which both seem to be growing ok, tank is 49 liters with 3x8w t5 luminaire on for 8hrs dosing 3ml of tpn+ a day with co2 on for 8hrs with lime green drop checker. any idea's ?

The only thing I would say is that with stem type plants, I tend not to trim them until they are established and showing immersed growth. Give the plant time and it should turn around. It isn`t too difficult to grow.

Dave.

Dave Spencer said:
The only thing I would say is that with stem type plants, I tend not to trim them until they are established and showing immersed growth. Give the plant time and it should turn around. It isn`t too difficult to grow.

Dave.

ok thanks for the reply ill see how it goes

I second what Dave says

The Staurgogyne from TGM is generally grow emerged. It needs time to adjust i just planted mine as it came and left it for a few weeks. See tall plant in pic below:
IMG_2484.jpg

I then after a couple of weeks gave it a harsh prune, although some bits had died back and started growing in the shorter underwater state. I replanted the tops and off it goes like mad:
web.jpg

The secret i suppose is patience, it takes time to make the changes, but as you can see TGM/Tropica plants grow very well in the right conditions. :thumbup:

Andy

andyh said:
I second what Dave says

The Staurgogyne from TGM is generally grow emerged. It needs time to adjust i just planted mine as it came and left it for a few weeks. See tall plant in pic below:
IMG_2484.jpg

I then after a couple of weeks gave it a harsh prune, although some bits had died back and started growing in the shorter underwater state. I replanted the tops and off it goes like mad:
web.jpg

The secret i suppose is patience, it takes time to make the changes, but as you can see TGM/Tropica plants grow very well in the right conditions. :thumbup:

Andy

really nice staurogyne you got there thats what im trying to achieve, ill just wait afew weeks and see how it goes thanks for the reply and pictures :thumbup:

Hi jonesy,
when i had this plant as a carpet i found once its well established the harder you trim it back the better and lower it grows,(this was told to me by trols anderson (tropica) at glee last year)also dont be surprised by the little bits that will grow back once you replant them,even bits you would normally throw away,
regards john.

john starkey said:
Hi jonesy,
when i had this plant as a carpet i found once its well established the harder you trim it back the better and lower it grows,(this was told to me by trols anderson (tropica) at glee last year)also dont be surprised by the little bits that will grow back once you replant them,even bits you would normally throw away,
regards john.

Jonesy...sorry thread hijack for just a second hope you dont mind!

John tell me more!

So your staying that now mine is well established if i prune it nice and low/hard it will grow back lower denser?

JamesM said:
Its basically a stem plant, so yes :)

Cut just above a node and two new stems will grow. You can also replant the tops.

sorry to invade, also, but is "a node" the point where the two leaves branch from?

andyh said:
john starkey said:
Hi jonesy,
regards john.

Jonesy...sorry thread hijack for just a second hope you dont mind!

John tell me more!

So your staying that now mine is well established if i prune it nice and low/hard it will grow back lower denser?

Hi Andy,i used trim it like any other stem,then as i said i had a long chat with trols anderson (Tropica MD)and he said they found that if cut back low and hard it grows back lower and therefore carpets better,the one thing i did notice was growth was a bit slower bit no die back,
regards john.

Back