• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dying Vallisneria Spiralis

Animal Mother

I planted 25 plants each about 10" long into Caribsea Planted Aquarium.

Dosing with TPN+ ans Easycarbo.

Planted them on last Wednesday and they have collapsed and are starting to turn to mush. :arghh:

Any ideas?

JamesM said:
Any form of liquid carbon (EasyCarbo) will melt many species, including Vallis I'm afraid.

You are kidding me! Well that is utter sh*te. I'll be writing to them to get some recompense if that is true.

Well,I've been doing some searching on here. What a waste of £15 of plants and about a £5 worth of Easycarbo!

Email going to them today.

Research research research :)
You could keep up the easycarbo dosing and switch to a similar looking plant if that's the effect you're after, eg cyperus helferi or crypt. balansae.

Don't rip it out just yet!

I dose liquid carbon, my vallis almost died but it recovered. I went through a couple of month period where I dosed easycarbo then waited a week and dosed again, whenever the Vallis died off I stopped the dosing altogether until it recovered before starting again, it is now one of the most successful plants in the tank and has put up with daily dosing of both easycarbo and the Aquaessentials alternative.
The only problem is putting up with algae until your vallis establishes itself because your plants are not going growing as fast as they once were.

I'm thinking about going back through every post I made on every forum saying that liquid carbon kills vallis to set the record straight.

why have you e-mailed easycarbo? they havnt done anything wrong, if you did enough research before hand you would have found that was the case, you wouldnt buy a camera and presume its HD(for example) just becuase it doesnt say that it isnt HD on the box :?

I'm thinking about going back through every post I made on every forum saying that liquid carbon kills vallis to set the record straight.

But it DOES kill vallis. You've acknowledged that in your post!
I've had it kill vallis within days that has been established for over a year. Long term I'd be very surprised if vallis could thrive while liquid carbon is being dosed, and my experience seems to back that up.

gratts said:

But it DOES kill vallis. You've acknowledged that in your post!
I've had it kill vallis within days that has been established for over a year. Long term I'd be very surprised if vallis could thrive while liquid carbon is being dosed, and my experience seems to back that up.

What I said in my post is that if you take care by dosing very leanly and keep an eye on the plant then you can ride over the bad times until it builds up a resistance. I also stated that it is one of the most successful plants in my tank and i dose approximately 5ml daily (my tank is 16USG).

Iliveinazoo said:
What I said in my post is that if you take care by dosing very leanly and keep an eye on the plant then you can ride over the bad times until it builds up a resistance. I also stated that it is one of the most successful plants in my tank and i dose approximately 5ml daily (my tank is 16USG).

Out of curiosity, how hard is your water? It loves hard water, so if it's on the hard side maybe it negates some of the damage easycarbo does..
You've over dosing on the easycarbo quite high, so I'm surprised vallis is able to thrive so well! With me in all tanks is has gone to mush, even without overdosing!

Iliveinazoo said:
Don't rip it out just yet!
Too late, it had completely turned to mush, it was never going to recover from that. :thumbdown:

I had to scoop it out more that pick it out.

AdAndrews said:
why have you e-mailed easycarbo? they havnt done anything wrong, if you did enough research before hand you would have found that was the case, you wouldnt buy a camera and presume its HD(for example) just becuase it doesnt say that it isnt HD on the box :?

Easylife website - "EasyCarbo is a very powerful and effective source for aquarium plants. A strong grwoth [sic] improvement is noticable after 1 to 2 weeks. Usable with or without CO2 addition."

Nowhere does it say that it may be harmful to some species of plant. It only tells you not to overdose, which I didn't.

Your camera analagy is all well and good but if you bought a camera with the description "takes high resolution photographs" and it doesn't then the camera manufacturers are at fault. In my opinion Easylife ARE at fault. They need some sort of disclaimer or clearer descriptions with their products.

Whilst emailing them could you also email all the companies that sell phosphate remover products that state it will prevent algae and what not.
On a serious note, I do understand why you would be annoyed.

Back