• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquael Brillux

chrisjj

Seedling
Hello all,

About to venture into the world of keeping fish!

I'm thinking of starting with a 2ft tank - for tropical fish with some plants.

I'm designing my aquascape at the moment and lokking fo a tank!

I've seen the Aquael Brillux 60, which sounds good, but I can't find any reviews - can anyone help - is it any good?

Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris and welcome to UKAPS!

I've no experience of the AquaEl Brillux but after a quick search I can see that it's a nice looking tank with enough light to grow most plants. Internal filters are 'out of fashion' with most planted tank folk, but there's no real reason why you can't succeed with an off-the-shelf system like that.

Good luck and please feel free to ask more questions. :D

I've now got it, done a fishless cycle, and added a few fish & shrimp

Very pleased with the tank & enjoying getting into aquariums!

post some pictures, i looked at getting a brillux a while back, would love to see one in action!

me too, i was thinking of getting one of these about a year ago :)

Here are a few photos - none of the tank it self though - I'll have to taek some!

Pic 1 - setting up

Pic 2 - 1 week
p1060468.jpg

Pic 3 - 4 weeks
p1060664t.jpg

Looking good

I like the path it gives a feeling of depth.
It will obviously fill in a lot once those plants get growing, whats the small plant you have growing in the slate pieces, HC?

Need a photo of the whole thing though!! :thumbup:

Yep - HC - doesn't seem to be growing much though.

I haven't added any ferts of any kind yet - want to make sure they won't affect my fish & shrimp - any suggestions?

Yep - it's the filter bracket top right (suckers, not screwed in).

Will get a pic of whole thing!

Cheers

chrisjj said:
Yep - HC - doesn't seem to be growing much though.

I haven't added any ferts of any kind yet - want to make sure they won't affect my fish & shrimp - any suggestions?

Well there is your reason. Could you or I be expected to grow if we didn't eat? No. The same applies for plants.
Of course the ferts won't harm the fish or shrimp. Countless of us dose EI and experienced no deaths that have been linked to excessive nutrients. Most common cause of deaths in planted tanks is due to high CO2.

Further to Fred's comments, just be careful if you buy any all in one ferts (avoid ones with copper in) it will kill your shrimps instantly)

andyh said:
Further to Fred's comments, just be careful if you buy any all in one ferts (avoid ones with copper in) it will kill your shrimps instantly)

Plenty of all in one ferts contain copper but it is in minimal amounts that don't kill shrimp. Everyone worries far too much about ferts containing copper when keeping shrimp.

OK - please could you suggest a suitable of the shelf fertilizer I can go and buy - what is EI?

I haven't managed to get any TPN yet, but added some liquid ferts that came with the tank a few days ago & the plants seem to be doing well for it. :thumbup:

CO2 is not an option - it was hard enough getting the tank past the OH :lol:

chrisjj said:
I haven't managed to get any TPN yet,

Remember, its the TPN+ you want. As the "+" version contains N+P.

If you're not using CO2 then at least use Easycarbo and provide lots of sheltering plants to block out some light intensity.

You could also try DIY yeast + sugar CO2 supplemented by liquid carbon.

Here's a couple of pictures of the whole tank.

p1060760n.jpg

p1060759.jpg

Back