• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Echinodorus Bleheri Problem

phantomfisher

I have 5 Echinodorus Bleheri which are growing well in my 100 gallon tank however about 10 days ago I noticed a few small irregular shaped holes had appeared in some of the leaves. The plants are quite large around 45cm tall with about 20 leaves per plant. The number of leaves effected on each plant seems to be increasing with the smaller newer leaves also being effected. Only the Echinodorus Bleheri have the holes, all my other plants including, crypts, aponogetens etc are fine.

At first I thought it might be snails but I do not have any thanks to my 3 YoYo loaches which polished of the last few about a month ago. I also thought perhaps my fish might be having a nible (Rosy Barbs, Congo Tetras, Oto's and a small albino pleco) but only a few of the holes are at the leaf edges.

I have noticed that the leaves of the Echinodorus Bleheri are a bit 'veiny' looking and am not sure if this is normal for this species of sword. I am using dry ferts three times a week as per James Planted Tank and do 50% water change every week. The rest of my plants are growing as if there is no tomorrow!

Any ideas on what the problem with my Echinodorus Bleheri could be?

All advice much appreciated. :arghh:

Hi Phantomfisher,
The veineyness sounds like it may be that your trace elements are a bit low. However before changing any of that, is your Co2 level good? Check ur Co2 or dose excel or easy carbo first then look into your trace elements or potassium levels. I found despite adding K with the macros, extra always yields better results, especially with mature plants. If this is fine then I would try adding extra trace elements for a few weeks and see howw they go. In my experience, you need to richen up the ferts as the plant biomass increases, I've been caught out by that, everyting hunky-dory for a while then things start looking a bit tatty etc.

Hope this helps!

Andy

phantomfisher said:
I have 5 Echinodorus Bleheri which are growing well in my 100 gallon tank however about 10 days ago I noticed a few small irregular shaped holes had appeared in some of the leaves. The plants are quite large around 45cm tall with about 20 leaves per plant. The number of leaves effected on each plant seems to be increasing with the smaller newer leaves also being effected. Only the Echinodorus Bleheri have the holes, all my other plants including, crypts, aponogetens etc are fine.

At first I thought it might be snails but I do not have any thanks to my 3 YoYo loaches which polished of the last few about a month ago. I also thought perhaps my fish might be having a nible (Rosy Barbs, Congo Tetras, Oto's and a small albino pleco) but only a few of the holes are at the leaf edges.

I have noticed that the leaves of the Echinodorus Bleheri are a bit 'veiny' looking and am not sure if this is normal for this species of sword. I am using dry ferts three times a week as per James Planted Tank and do 50% water change every week. The rest of my plants are growing as if there is no tomorrow!

I am sorry to say its your loaches - have a read at the attached viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6628&start=0&hilit=leaf+damage.

I had the same problem -loaches gone - no more holes.
Regards
paul.

AndyOx said:
Hi Phantomfisher,
The veineyness sounds like it may be that your trace elements are a bit low. However before changing any of that, is your Co2 level good? Check ur Co2 or dose excel or easy carbo first then look into your trace elements or potassium levels. I found despite adding K with the macros, extra always yields better results, especially with mature plants. If this is fine then I would try adding extra trace elements for a few weeks and see howw they go. In my experience, you need to richen up the ferts as the plant biomass increases, I've been caught out by that, everyting hunky-dory for a while then things start looking a bit tatty etc.

Hope this helps!

Andy

I think the Co2 level is ok. i am on 2 drops per second and the drop checker is the correct shade of green. I am currently dosing 20ml of Aqua Essentioals Trace Mix Plus 3 times per week and 35ml of a Macro mix comprising Potassium Nitrate and Potassium Phosphate in the ratio prescribed by James Planted Tank. I also add 35ml of Iron Sulphate once a week.
Do you think I am adding enough ferts or perhaps missing something? :?

Flyfisherman said:
phantomfisher said:

I am sorry to say its your loaches - have a read at the attached http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... eaf+damage.

I had the same problem -loaches gone - no more holes.
Regards
paul.

Little bug...s. I got the loaches to kill the mini snails for which they did a great job. I would hate to have to get rid of them as they are great little characters but if needs must :(

Any idea why they only attack the sword plants when there are softer and more juicy aponogetens available?

I think the damage caused is due to the loach either sucking or bitting the snail from the leaf. I think its just as case that the snail or snails were on the swords when the loaches were on snail patrol. I found that my loaches only appeared during darkness ie no tank lights which may be when snails readily available t eat, perhaps snails only like darkness.

Regards
paul.

Back