• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Comp_Nov09: When you wish upon a star

Status
Not open for further replies.

amy4342

Name: Amy James (amy4342)

Tank Dimensions (Height/Width/Depth): Hmmm, well, it's 12" high and the overall diameter is roughly 20cm. I worked out the volume of the tank by drawing the star on paper, working out the area by splitting it into triangles and then divided 2700 (2.7l in cubic cm's) by that number, giving me 12cm for the height.

Aquascape Name: When you wish upon a star

Hardscape/Materials used: Naturesoil, Fine Coral Sand, Sayuri Rock,

Plants: Hemianthus Callitrichoides Cuba, Rotala Rountifolia, Echinodorus tennellus

Fertilisation: Easy Carbo and EI dosing

About the aquascape: I commisioned the acrylic star shaped base from a local glass and plastics shop which costed £12. I then cut the square bits from an old condensation lid, and I siliconed each side onto the star. The substrates and rock were leftover from previous scapes, and the plants are cuttings from other tanks.

I love star shapes, and I thought this would be a very unique tank. I think the shape lends itself to the design I have planned. I actually like this tank so much I will probably keep it going after the competition has finished.

This is the star with the substrate.

IMG_0102.jpg

I then added rocks in an iwagumi style. Apologies for the terrible picture.

IMG_0104.jpg

Unfortunately, it hasn't been planted yet because, as I was filling it up, it sprung a leak on one of the sides, so I've emptied it of water and re-siliconed it. I'll be planting it later, so I'll post pictures then.

Omg, I'm blushing. And jumping around the room with joy! I'm really glad you guys like my scapes - I respect you guys loads and it means a lot to me that you like them. Also, loads of effort (and blood!!!) went into them, so positive comments makes it all worthwhile :D.

Big thumbs up from me too!

Original and inspirational, well done Amy!

As others have said this is very original indeed Amy.
i love the hardscape, can't wait to see it planted :thumbup:

Cheers,
James

hi,
amy is in hospital at the moment so i promised to upload some extra pics she took. as soon as she is feeling well enough she will be back and will let you know what sort of plants etc that she used.
hopefully i dont mess this up lol 8)
20112009009.jpg

20112009006.jpg

You've put a whole different take on the pico project.
Your ideas are very refreshing...I love them both :D

Hi all

Well, I'm back. And what a lot I have to catch up on - I'm sure I won't be bored! :D. Thanks ever so much for everyones well wishes, and for the comments left - I'm really chuffed!

I'm glad to report that no harm has come to the tank whilst I've been away - it was set up Thursday and nothing has been done with it yet, I'll probably be able to start dosing tomorrow. The only light has been natural sunlight, and since it's situated in an alcove, it hasn't received much light, which is what I'd attribute the lack of algae to. In fact, it looks much the same as when I left it, so I'm really glad!

Since I've been home, I've dissected two of my dads' submersible submarines and taken two of the propellers. I wonder how long it'll take him to notice :lol:! Whilst the one I took for 'VW Decay' was too powerfull, this one is good, maybe possibly slightly too weak - I'll try running it off two batteries tomorrow, but I think that might be too powerful. I'll start dosing with Easy Carbo and EI tomorrow, and I think the pump will help with that. I'm concerned that there's too little light for the cuba to really take off aswell, so I'll probably see if I've got a spare lamp laying about.

Thanks again

Just seen this for the first time!! Its wicked love the star shaped tank! Very unique! :thumbup: :text-+1:

Ok peeps, here are the final photo's. Unfortunately, the tank developed a huge leak which accounts for the really ugly silicone at the back :(. Since it would only really leak badly when it was full, I didn't fill it, which meant the Rotala didn't grow to the top. It has grown tho - it's had two trims since I set it up. The Tennellus has not really done anything, but then it hasn't died either. The HC has spread quite nicely, but is going to need a trim soon since it's growing upwards rather than outwards in some places. I've also aquired some Ramshorn snails which I brought with the HC, which is kindof nice because it's like a little biological system. I'm loving this tank so much that I'm going to contact somebody and get a quote for an opti-white star shaped tank, bigger than this one, and I'm thinking maybe a small Eheim with an inline heater and some Crystal Black Shrimp.

mod.jpg

IMG_5716.jpg

modified.jpg

Just wanted to post this as a final shot of the two tanks, which I've enjoyed hugely over the last few weeks (please excuse my manky dressing table :D)

IMG_5713.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back