• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Leaves yellowing and pinholes

aaronnorth said:
People are busy at this time of year :thumbup:

how often are you doing water changes? (and percentage)

try dosing 2x per week, at the reccomended levels as it could be a N or P defficiency. BUt CO2 cant be ruled out either (which is why i asked for water change schedule)

Weekly change of 10-12litres in a 60l so around a 20% change at most. I do have some liquid CO2, but I never saw any growth improvements with that before.

TPN+ doesn't contain Potassium does it?

skinz180189 said:
aaronnorth said:

try dosing 2x per week, at the reccomended levels as it could be a N or P defficiency. BUt CO2 cant be ruled out either (which is why i asked for water change schedule)

Weekly change of 10-12litres in a 60l so around a 20% change at most. I do have some liquid CO2, but I never saw any growth improvements with that before.

yes, 5ml per 50l adds 1.5ppm of Potassium.
usually with low light, non CO2 tanks people do water changes every couple of months so the CO2 levels aren't fluctuating too much, as it taks time for plants to adapt.

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.ph ... O2-methods

if you are seeing pinholing it might also be a potassium deficiency

when i said P above I meant K, sorry!

you can try adding some kcl, look for a sodium free table salt substitute, usually in health food stores etc.

aaronnorth said:
skinz180189 said:
aaronnorth said:

yes, 5ml per 50l adds 1.5ppm of Potassium.
usually with low light, non CO2 tanks people do water changes every couple of months so the CO2 levels aren't fluctuating too much, as it taks time for plants to adapt.

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.ph ... O2-methods

if you are seeing pinholing it might also be a potassium deficiency

when i said P above I meant K, sorry!

I don't think that's wise, far too many fry in there to start dropping water changes right down. Plus it might kill the Otos off. That tank's been grown a good 6 months, now it's a really recent issue at this scale.

Hi all,
I'd try adding some more KNO3 (potassium nitrate) if you've got any ? rather than KCl , as the yellowing would suggest lack of nitrogen and the pin holing low potassium. Both K and N are mobile within the leaves, so you should see darker green newer leaves fairly quickly. I'd aim for about 5ppm K & 1.8ppm N (K=39, N=14, O=16 = 39+14+48 = RMM 101, 39/101=38.6% K, 14/101=14% N).

I think buying KNO3 as a dry powder is well worth it as it contains the 2 elements plants need most of to grow, £12.50 a kilo at "Fluidsensor" or £3.43 for 100g. (or even cheaper as a coarser grade from Inoxia <http://www.inoxia.co.uk/rw/product/167.aspx>

cheers Darrel

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
I'd try adding some more KNO3 (potassium nitrate) if you've got any ? rather than KCl , as the yellowing would suggest lack of nitrogen and the pin holing low potassium. Both K and N are mobile within the leaves, so you should see darker green newer leaves fairly quickly. I'd aim for about 5ppm K & 1.8ppm N (K=39, N=14, O=16 = 39+14+48 = RMM 101, 39/101=38.6% K, 14/101=14% N).

I think buying KNO3 as a dry powder is well worth it as it contains the 2 elements plants need most of to grow, £12.50 a kilo at "Fluidsensor" or £3.43 for 100g. (or even cheaper as a coarser grade from Inoxia <http://www.inoxia.co.uk/rw/product/167.aspx>

cheers Darrel

How would I know I'm getting *ppm of each? Is there a long winded equation or something?

Right, so for my 60l tank If I add 50g of Potassium Nitrate to 500ml of Water I will get 5ppm of Nitrate and 3ppm of Potassium, per 5ml of dose.
How often should I dose that, twice weekly on top of a twice weekly dose of TPN+?
Is it worth trying the Liquid Co2 again as well?

skinz180189 said:
Right, so for my 60l tank If I add 50g of Potassium Nitrate to 500ml of Water I will get 5ppm of Nitrate and 3ppm of Potassium, per 5ml of dose.
How often should I dose that, twice weekly on top of a twice weekly dose of TPN+?

40g

Try once a week first, then if necassary raise it to twice weekly.
the liquid Carbon won't hurt anything, so you might aswell use it :thumbup:

Hi all,
How would I know I'm getting *ppm of each? Is there a long winded equation or something?
Yes, there is in this case. To work out NO3 it's 5ppm K & 1.8ppm N or 8ppm NO3 (14 + 48 = 62/101= 61.4% NO3 so for each ppm of K you add 1.59 ppm NO3, so a dilution to give 5ppm K will also add 8ppm NO3.) (so approx 5ppm NO3 and 3ppm K.)

I like James calculator, very nifty and I'd definitely use it for the compounds he lists, but actually if you know the formula for any compound, and the RAM of the elements contained, you can use these simple equations to work out how many ppm of each element any weight of any compound will add:

----------------------------------(ppm nutrient x dilution rate)------------------------------------100
grams of compound =-----( ----------------------------------------------)--x----( -----------------------------)
per litre of stock sol. -----------------------1000----------------------------------------% element in compound

and
---------------------(grams of compound x 1000)-------------% nutrient
ppm in tank = (---------------------------------------) x -------------------
-------------------------dilution rate-----------------------------100

So to add 3ppm K to a tank of 100 litres using KNO3, making a litre of stock solution and diluting the stock solution 1:5000: (add 0.2 ml for each litre of tank water - 20 ml to 100 litres)

------------(3 x 5000)-------100------15000-----100
38.9g = ( ------------ ) x ( --------) = -------- x ------- = 15 x 2.59 = 38.9g
--------------1000------------38.6------1000------38.6

or
-----------(38.9 x 1000)------38.9
3ppm = (-----------------) x ------- = 7.78 x 0.39 = 3ppm.
----------------5000------------100

You can do the calculations on paper, but I use an EXCEL spreadsheet, as it makes things quicker.

cheers Darrel

aaronnorth said:
skinz180189 said:

40g

Not according to that calculator, 5ml of a 50g into 500ml solution, in 60 litres of water makes the correct PPM.

Thanks for that post Darrel :thumbup:

skinz180189 said:
aaronnorth said:
skinz180189 said:

40g

Not according to that calculator, 5ml of a 50g into 500ml solution, in 60 litres of water makes the correct PPM.

fair enough :thumbup:

Back