• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Update on the ADA no CO2 046L Zebra pleco 60p tank

plantbrain

Expert
frontADADEc092.jpg

And

resizedADADec091.jpg

Fish are in there but hide.
100? CRS are also in there.
Bolbitus is growing without any CO2/Excel etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

maybe a full frontal?

I love the emersed part :clap:

edit: no need full frontal, found them via google :D

I love it :) The hardscape is amazing, imo. Did you collect it?

I've looked at your other posts on this, but can't seem to find an answer to this. How did you plant the flora; just attach them to the wood somehow or use floating materials (the ones for ripariums)?

That looks awesome Tom. Are the fish in there yet? The setup has the same general look as my 50-gallon Synodontis lucipinnis tank, except that I don't have the manzanita in mine. If I remember my thought processes correctly I think that this idea of yours was part of inspiration for my display.

That watersprite looks especially nice. It looks like you might have some Anubias barteri growing right up in the air too(?). That's funny I thought that it would require higher humidities. I should just try some barteri sometime in an open tank.

I've had a look around all the places I thought it might be on, so far no recent frontal shots that I found. There was a shot of it before planting though.

aquaticmaniac said:
I love it :) The hardscape is amazing, imo. Did you collect it?

I've looked at your other posts on this, but can't seem to find an answer to this. How did you plant the flora; just attach them to the wood somehow or use floating materials (the ones for ripariums)?

Just sits on the wood, it's manzanita, you folks got a load or two from me.
After a bit, the moss attaches and then the Anubias and the ferns sit on the wood, grow roots into the water, same for the pennywort etc.

Takes time, but will fill in nicely.

Regards,
Tom Barr

hydrophyte said:
That looks awesome Tom. Are the fish in there yet? The setup has the same general look as my 50-gallon Synodontis lucipinnis tank, except that I don't have the manzanita in mine. If I remember my thought processes correctly I think that this idea of yours was part of inspiration for my display.

That watersprite looks especially nice. It looks like you might have some Anubias barteri growing right up in the air too(?). That's funny I thought that it would require higher humidities. I should just try some barteri sometime in an open tank.

Yes, 8 L046's and some 9 baby P. leopardus for a few months till they get use to the foods, then those will go to another tank. As long as the light is not too high intensity, the Anubias are fine as long as their roots are in the water well, moss makes an excellent capillary water transport for many emergent plants and substrate as it quickly attaches to wood.
Cotton string, various ties can all work well if you need something a bit more stable. Pennywort will make a good mat.

I dose 2x a week, a tiny amount of all the ferts.
I use the penny wort as dose gauge.

Most commerical grows, eg FAN, Tropica, Picese, Oriental etc, all use duckweed mostly as a nutrient indicator.
But you can use others and never use a test kit.

Same for house plants. :idea:

Regards,
Tom Barr

Thanks for the info, Tom! Have you had any luck photographing the plecs? I know they can be difficult. I had a friend in the US who left his tank with a bare bottom so he could see them.

aquaticmaniac said:
I've had a look around all the places I thought it might be on, so far no recent frontal shots that I found. There was a shot of it before planting though.

Same thing, just with roots and green stuff on the top.
You can see most everything from the top.

That is the scape, not the frontal shot.

I guess I really do not care for single frontal shots anyway.

ResizedADAnoCO21.jpg

Regards,
Tom Barr

aquaticmaniac said:
Thanks for the info, Tom! Have you had any luck photographing the plecs? I know they can be difficult. I had a friend in the US who left his tank with a bare bottom so he could see them.

I have a few, but they are parked long terms in the wood, dark wedged fish stuck in there. Not fun to photograph.
If I sit at night with the lights off, do not feed them a few days, they will come out.

Generally hiding, easy to see really with the eye, but hard to get anything worth while as a photo.
Tanks should be scaped and seen in for those in person, not for a photo contest IMO.

I do the tank for myself and the fish, not for other people who might see just one photo and that's all.
Video is better, but I've not gotten around to it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

I understand what you mean. I'd definitely like to see a video of this when you get a chance. Nice looking place you have, BTW.

aquaticmaniac said:
I understand what you mean. I'd definitely like to see a video of this when you get a chance. Nice looking place you have, BTW.

I always told myself, one day.............if I clean enough fish tanks, I can move out of the ghetto! :D

Regards,
Tom Barr

resizedtopofADA20gal.jpg

I'm not as keen on the massive weedy growth of the Water sprite, some like it, but I'm after something a little bit more subtle, I hacked it way back, and I have to trim the roots about once a month.

Where I am going is more moss on branches and Anubias. I might train the pennywort on this as well. HC just started growing after being infested in some moss, so I will allow that to grow. Bolbitus looks decent emergent in another tank, but I like the Anubias better mixed with moss. Need to think more about other species to try that will give me a nice look and not end up with weedy roots everywhere.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Really nice look Tom, a true 4 th Dimension. Do you have any floating foam supporting the moss or is it just growing on the wood? Water sprite works for me, could we see a frontal shot, It would be interesting to see how dark the tank is (perfect for plecs of course) :lol: Regards T

Nope, or giving away secrets like how the plants are attached. :(
It really does look great, and I assume it's without the additional cost factor of "riparium" planters.

Hi all,
I really like this one, I've obviously got a "terrarium thing" going on. I think Tom is right about the Ceratopteris, I usually like it and have it in all my tanks (floating, planted or semi-emersed), but in this case it does detract from the minimalism of everything else. I wonder about another fern, maybe one of Hydrophytes Adiantum spp. Maiden-hair ferns (which takes us back to the "full frontals", but you'll have to work out why). I think the plants are just fastened to the wood.

cheers Darrel

Back