• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Setting up new planted tank

I started my 90 litre planted tank about 6 months ago and I have become addicted. If I did another tank I would do so many things differently and over time. So I am :) I am upgrading from 90 litres to 180 litres. (Biggest I can fit in space). I have done a lot more research now, and this is my plan, please let me know if I should change anything and have recommendations.

I will be upgrading to the Juwel Vision 180 aquari. This tank comes with 2 x 35W T5 Fluorescent High Light bulbs. One is 6800 K & one is 9000 K. I was going to fit reflectors and I was going to start with the lights on for 10 hours every day.

I will be removing the internal filter and fitting a Fluval 305 external filter. I have gone for a higher lph so that my tank does not have dead spots and helps to circulate the nutrients around the tank.

I will be removing the carbon (as I have read it takes nutrients out the water) from the external filter and replacing with polishing pads.

I will be using 3 inch depth of Eco Complete or Seachem Flourite (not decided) with sand on top.

I will be also adding CO2, I was planning to buy the JBL Proflora u402. I will be adding CO2 during the day and turning off at night then running an air pump.

I am unsure on what fertilizers to dose so I would appreciate some recommendations.

I really would appreciate any recommendations or advice.

Thanks

Welcome to the zoo :)

Firstly, 10 hours of light per day is way too much imo. Start off with 6 for a good few months, then increase to 7 for a couple of months, then 8. Plants don't need anymore than this.

By far the best way of fertilizing is the EI method. Some find this confusing at first, but it really is very simple and the money you save will help pay for any additional gear, like co2, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about carbon removing ferts as it wont remove enough ferts to bother the plants, and after a few days the carbon is worn out and simply acts as another form of biological media.

Aim for around 10x turn over too, so the 305 wont be good enough by itself and you may need to run additional power heads to help flow. Or use two 305's. Personally, I always aim for 15-20x turnover.

Carbon removes small amounts of nutrients, so small that it wont affect plant plant growth. So you can leave it in for bacteria to colonise on if you wish

I would reccomend using a fire extinguisher for CO2 as it costs about £80-£100 to setup (including 2Kg FE) which is much cheaper and lasts longer than the ready made sets out there.
Some CO2 guides in here:

viewforum.php?f=34

or a cheaper alternative (more suited to smaller tanks though)
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7696

and for equipment
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7776

As for nutrients, powders would be the best way to as it is cheap

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1211

put simply, this is what you need:

27g/ 4.5tsp KNO3
9g/ 1.5tsp KH2PO4
72g/ 12tsp MgSO4 (This isn't always needed, it just depends on your waters Mg content)

Add these to 600ml of water & dose 50ml 3x per week.

18g/ 3tsp Trace elements (CSM+B)

Add to 600ml of water & dose 50ml x3 per week.

Thanks for such quick replies.

I will definately look into the dry fertilizers, I live in the Uk so do you know where the best place is online for me to buy this dry powders? Also when mixed with water is that tap water or dechlorinated water?

Thanks for the advice on filtration maybe I will look at a bigger filter then.

I have read that article and I am struggling to understand it. Sorry. I take it you are mixing the powders with tap water to make your own fertilizer liquid? Once I have made 600 ml of liquid how long can that be stored for and how much and how often would I have to add it to my 180 litre tank?

the 600ml makes up a monthly batch. Everything you need to know is in my 1st post,
put simply, this is what you need:

27g/ 4.5tsp KNO3
9g/ 1.5tsp KH2PO4
72g/ 12tsp MgSO4 (This isn't always needed, it just depends on your waters Mg content)

Add these to 600ml of water & dose 50ml 3x per week.

18g/ 3tsp Trace elements (CSM+B)

Add to 600ml of water & dose 50ml x3 per week.

The rest of the guide is just telling you how the method works, why it works and the pros & cons etc. The only part you need to grow plants is what I have given you above.
That is for a 40g tank BTW.

tommyleestaples said:
I have just seen that the trace elecments contain Copper I am planning to keep Amano Shrimps and I know that they are very sensitive to Copper. Any ideas?

It's not enough copper to kill shrimp.
Loads of us dose traces and keep shrimp, even breed them.
Far too many people worry about copper in liquid nutrients these days after reading "copper is toxic to inverts".

JamesM said:
Personally, I've had more success adding the powders direct, but either way works :thumbup:

if you do want to add them directly then just divide the gram value by 12 which will give you the number needed for 3 doses per week.

Most people keep shrimp & dose with copper, it is in almost every fertiliser and not many people have problems. I have only heard of 1 person have a problem so far :thumbup:

I will be using 3 inch depth of Eco Complete or Seachem Flourite (not decided) with sand on top.
over time the sand will fall/go through eco complete etc,and look a mess.

Okay thats fine, Ill ignore the Cooper issue then. Thats a shame about the substrate as I dont really like the look for the Seachem Flouride or Eco Complete. Anyone had experience with Tetra Complete Substrate apparently you can add sand on top of that cos it is a finer soil.

Back