• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help identify this moss

not too sure at all, it *could* be fissidens fontanus 'grande' or 'XXL'.
Have you seen Fissidens Fontanus in real life? As the larger versions do look exactly the same but, um, larger :lol:

Whatever it is I will do a swap with you when you can spare a couple of fronds (does not have to be much).
I have quite a few species to offer in return, pm me if interested :)

Will be nice if it is something new. Not that far out an idea, as personally I think we have only just scratched the surface of mosses out there. I have seen near a hundred species of mosses in the wild (Andean mountains) all within a few hundred metres of each other. I was in moss paradise :lol: :geek: :geek:

Hi,

Thank you both,
I never saw a fissidens before this, indeed :oops:

Now, looking on google, it looks like to be Fissidens. So not sure if it is a new specie. Still, if you like, when I have some growth, I can send you a bunch if still interested. PM me in 4-8 weeks to recall me. I'll send it, nothing in return :)

Could be fissidens (zipper)
Let us know if its alive affter a couple of months then we can be more sure :lol:

mr. luke said:
Could be fissidens (zipper)
Let us know if its alive affter a couple of months then we can be more sure :lol:

he he... I like your style Luke :lol:

quick death - fissidens splachnobyroides.
slow death - fissidens zipelianus.
easy to grow - fissidens fontanus

:lol: :lol:

More seriously I doubt it is fissidens zipelianus though as that is really tiny. I have noticed many of the fissidens look incredibly similar, having the wood and other items in the picture helps with the ID as it provides a sense of scale :thumbup:

jonny_ftm said:
What can help distinguish between fissidens and fontanus?

The plant is called Fissidens Fontanus, its just a single plant and not two.

fontanus is a specific fissidens species (there are many).
If Paulo reckons that is what it is then I would go with his opinion as he is quite experienced with that moss :thumbup:

ninja'd by Paulo :shifty: :lol:

a1Matt said:
fontanus is a specific fissidens species (there are many).
If Paulo reckons that is what it is then I would go with his opinion as he is quite experienced with that moss :thumbup:
ninja'd by Paulo :shifty: :lol:
I am posting you some very good samples tomorrow ;) you can then make up your mind ;)

Fissidens can be really hard to tell apart, especially when you only have one variety in front of you. From what I remember, there are at least 50 different species, with hundreds more varieties.

Fissidens Fontanus 'US' (Phoenix Moss) is perhaps the most common. Fissidens zippelianus, Fissidens adianthoides and Fissidens splachnobryoides are pretty much non aquatic varieties and should be avoided.

Fissidens sp. 'Singapore' is very similar to Fontanus, but tends to be longer strands This is what I think your moss is :)

Sorry for the mistake, I meant in my post the difference between fontanus and zipper, I just miswritten what I meant to say. Anyway, the debate is quiet helpful

So, in your opinion, it is especially a question between F. Fontanus US vs Singapore?

Maybe I'll post new pics later including the moss + anubia nana var "petite" plantlets to show better the size. The "Petite" is smaller than the common var nana. Maybe this is what is confusing you in my photos? Also, the green is rather dark, compared to the light green I saw on some forums

LondonDragon said:
Judging by the bit of wood, still looks like fontanus to me :p

he he.. that is why I said to go with your judgement :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'd recognise it straight off in real life. :lol:

yep! I am now sure it is Fissidens fontanus 8)

fiss. fon. spreads very slowly, if at all.
So, if you want to get a greater coverage then you can cut it into smaller pieces and reattach it over a larger area.
I'd say cut it as short as you can and still comfortably tie it down without it working loose afterwards - say 5mm long or so.

If not, it looks great in long fronds as well :thumbup:

(No need to send me any in the future now, as I am getting some from Paulo shortly. I appreciate the offer though, and if you want to do any moss swaps in future just pm me. Postage is not a deterrent for me, it is quite cheap across Europe)

Back