• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Re: 90x45x45 "LlÅ·n Peninsula"

Sounds random.... and i would only say this within the safety of UKAPS.org, anywhere else it would just be weird......

"But i love your big stone!" :lol: :lol:

I really like the rocks in this scape, great selection!

I noticed earlier in this thread you mentioned planting different lengths of Hairgrass round the bottom of the rocks. Why have you done that? o_O Whats your secret?

saintly said:
as sweet as a sweet chocolate cake stu! :thumbup:
Cheers Mark :D
myboyshay said:
Love everything about this Stu!

Awesome stuff I'm sure it'll look the biz when grown in...well done mate :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mark!
im hoping for as much success with it as yours! just waiting for things to start kicking off with the growing now and making sure i keep algae at bay.
hydrophyte said:
That looks great. The rocks relate well from every angle that you show.
cheers hydrophyte :thumbup:
andyh said:
Sounds random.... and i would only say this within the safety of UKAPS.org, anywhere else it would just be weird......

"But i love your big stone!" :lol: :lol:

I really like the rocks in this scape, great selection!

I noticed earlier in this thread you mentioned planting different lengths of Hairgrass round the bottom of the rocks. Why have you done that? o_O Whats your secret?
Im glad you like the big un andy :lol:

Re the hairgrass ive copied off the advice given at the oli knott demo. In front and around the stones I wanted the grass to have tight and compact growth so ive cut them to 1cm above the root before planting. at the back I want tall thick grass so left it full length and will cut and grade it when it starts growing in.

EDIT, forgot to say that at the moment im doing 60% water changes every two days and dosing with brighty k. Ive had a problem with the HK inlet catching shrimps when they breeze past. ive lost about 10 shrimps so far which isnt good so i need to look at widening the inlet cuts so the suction decreases. delicately tried a hacksaw last night which didnt work :(

Me thinks a cal aqua inlet will be on the cards when ive got some money.

Hi Stu

Any updates on this? You upped lighting levels a little while back - has that been good/bad for the set-up? Are you still dosing just Brighty K?

Paul

paul.in.kendal said:
Hi Stu

Any updates on this? You upped lighting levels a little while back - has that been good/bad for the set-up? Are you still dosing just Brighty K?

Paul
fingers crossed its going quite well paul. Ive started dosing step1 as well as brighty k last week and ive seen a noticeable improvement this week. the hairgrass and tennelus has started travelling in places and some of the HC is now spreading sideways rather than vertically. Ive had a small amount of BBA on some of the tennelus tips so ive cut these leaves back to the subrate. I may need to have a fiddle with the co2 to overcome this but its getting blasted in at the moment to get the DC lime green.

I had a a bit of a disaster with my two king blue tetras in that they both jumped on different days :( Ive got red cherry shrimp in there at the moment which are doing fine apart from a few losses that got caught in the filter inlet. Im aiming to get a shoal of fish in the new year. still trying to decide what to get though and I may have to drop the water level down as I dont want anymore jumpers. Will try and get some new pics up this week.

chrisr01 said:
Hi Stu

I'm liking this tank..................a lot :D

Chris
Cheers chris :thumbup:

Tank update at Day 23. things are growing, HC, tennelus and hairgrass are crawling. Some green algae on the glass which ive cleaned off in most places. 60% water change every 3 days.

ferts per day:

co2 (lots) - 1 hr before lights on and off
easycarbo 6ml
6ml brighty k
8ml step1

You can see from the day1 to day23 pictures how the substrate settles forward against the glass over time. Something to remember for me for the future as Id not fill it as deep at the front next time.

Day 1
4153419117_aacbb43c49_o.jpg

Day 7
4153418055_c0a2ef5ce3_o.jpg

Day 23
4195426367_27b5b895b2_o.jpg

Hey Stu, nice to talk to you the other day at TGM. The tennelus is really growing in nicley. Will be awsome when the substrate if fully covered. Any thoughts on livestock yet ? All the best - Tom

Add sponge prefilter over the intake, no shrimp issues, keeps filter cleaner also so fewer cleanings required, clean sponge weekly.

CO2, CO2 and CO2, crank it high. No fish etc.

GW is common with high light + new tank + NH4. If you add NH4 in an established tank, well, the filter will transform the NYH4 to NO3 quickly, and no greenwater.

You lack much actual biomass even though the sediment is moistly covered.

Water changes will help for the 1st month or two.
Add as much CO2 as you want and refrain from adding fish to the bitter end.

Adjust the light up higher also, it's going to be a weedy HC mat you will need to trim often once it takes off(2-3 weeks typically).

99% of issues will be due to CO2.
Brighty K and ADa step 1 etc, those are just K+ and traces, 10,000% cheaper and just as effective from AE etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

TBRO said:
Hey Stu, nice to talk to you the other day at TGM. The tennelus is really growing in nicley. Will be awsome when the substrate if fully covered. Any thoughts on livestock yet ? All the best - Tom
Thanks Tom, was good to meet you too :) Still mulling over the fish but its got to be a shoal.

plantbrain said:
Add sponge prefilter over the intake, no shrimp issues, keeps filter cleaner also so fewer cleanings required, clean sponge weekly.

CO2, CO2 and CO2, crank it high. No fish etc.

GW is common with high light + new tank + NH4. If you add NH4 in an established tank, well, the filter will transform the NYH4 to NO3 quickly, and no greenwater.

You lack much actual biomass even though the sediment is moistly covered.

Water changes will help for the 1st month or two.
Add as much CO2 as you want and refrain from adding fish to the bitter end.

Adjust the light up higher also, it's going to be a weedy HC mat you will need to trim often once it takes off(2-3 weeks typically).

99% of issues will be due to CO2.
Brighty K and ADa step 1 etc, those are just K+ and traces, 10,000% cheaper and just as effective from AE etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Thanks Tom, i have added a sponge but took it off for the picture. co2 is high at the moment but not yellow as Im wary of killing all my shrimp (DC in picture was just after water change so not the coour i usually have it)
Ive got the light on max at the mo, only had it on half for the first few days.

Re the ADA ferts, i know about EI but wanted to try the ADA stuff out and its working well. Ill be replacing the brighty K with a potasium carbonate mix once its run out. :)

Time for an update on Day 39. We were away over Christmas on holiday so my friend popped around every two days to fert the tank. It also had 10 days without a water change so I was quite worried it may algae up or the co2 would run out but i got lucky in that it was ok.

The tennelus has gone mad and started spreading everywhere so its had a trim at the front before this pic. The HC is also filling in. More so at the middle rather than the sides so im not sure if this is due to light fall-off at the edges or the ferts and co2 arent getting distributed there.

A shoal of fish is next on the list for some time in the new year. At the moment there are about 30 red chaerry shrimp in there which have started breeding which is good.

Ive done a HD video of the tank which Ill put up once ive worked out how to edit it.

Day 1
4153419117_aacbb43c49_o.jpg

Day 7
4153418055_c0a2ef5ce3_o.jpg

Day 23
4195426367_27b5b895b2_o.jpg

Day 39
4242225012_f58f6a1fbe_o.jpg

stuworrall said:
Thanks both :thumbup:

I just need to not get bored of it now while i wait for it to grow in, oh and add some fish too

Just get a nano to play with so you don't get bored!

You also need some fish as you have stated above to give it some more interest, what you thinking of getting? o_O

stuworrall said:
andyh said:
Just get a nano to play with so you don't get bored!
:thumbup: - http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7248&hilit=tropica+aquacube

andyh said:
You also need some fish as you have stated above to give it some more interest, what you thinking of getting? o_O
too true. still not sure but im liking rummy nose tetras at the mo.

I meant get another one! o_O :lol:

Have you seen Jims new scape at TGM with the Rummy Nose, he could probably do with a few more though.

stuworrall said:
Thanks both :thumbup:

I just need to not get bored of it now while i wait for it to grow in, oh and add some fish too

that's my kinda problem with iwagumi's, the fairly minimalistic look can be incredibly beautiful but to intrest me further, ive added a few different plant species and keep on changing things, getting some fish helped the boredom too. :thumbup:

a quick update on my tank. For now its turned into a tempory hospital tank as I had to take my redmoor covered in ferns and bolbitus out of my old rio125 as it went to my mate stu. The 90cm is keeping the plants alive until i can get to my 60cm which is currently hemmed in by a larder!

Both the tennelus and the HC have gone a bit bonkers and need a good trim. Once ive removed the redmoor ill give it a proper haircut. Ive now moved onto TPN+ from the ADA step1 too plus im still dosing a brighty K mixture from potasium carbonate.

Ive added a few rummy nose into the tank, they school really well together and im going to get some more soon to keep the others company :) I also got a new light to replace the T5 from TGM. Point source lighting is just so cool once you get a ripple on the surface. Even the floor has a nice shimmer to it now off the light :D ive upped the co2 to cope with the increase in light plus mounted it higher than the t5 was.

Im trying to find some small grey cable ties that will match the grey cable and stainless frame at the mo so you'll have to excuse the untidy cables in the pic

img3174y.jpg

img3173g.jpg

Back