• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

£2.50 tank !

ScottYalloP

i was looking for a new tank for my Cherry Shrimp, when a friend of mine told me to take a look at the local dump site,
so i went and i came home with a Aqua one 380 for just £2.50! :D the only thing was it didnt come with light or filtration :( .
Here's some pics:
sdc10743k.jpg

sdc10744s.jpg

sdc10745.jpg

its currently in the garden, im testing it to see if its water tight.
Anybody got any ideas on lighting under £40 ?
i already have a fluval 2 + filter waiting.
Thanks for reading any comments welcome.

ScottYalloP said:
Thanks i have bought a Boyu overhead 1ft lighting unit. ill post an update when it arrives. :D
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Boyu-Overhead ... 286.c0.m14
What you need to check is the tubes, at lest the blue one will need replacing, the others depends on kelvin and the colour you prefer! I review regarding the product and seller would be much appreciated too. ;)

Hi just a quick update, moved the tank upstairs and just did a quick scape on it. No plants as of yet probably get them after the light arrives.
sdc10749a.jpg

sdc10746u.jpg

just waiting for the sand to settle.
oh ant the tank size is 38 W x 46 H x 25 D cm, it holds 34 l so around about 8 gallons. :)
what do you guys think?
Thanks Comments welcome.

Anybody got any ideas on making the filter shrimp proof so they don't get sucked in?! :?:

I had a change of mind and just swapped one of my HOB filters for the fluval as both are matured.
iv set the tank up now and moved the shrimp in they seem to like it.
sdc10755s.jpg

sdc10752a.jpg

I have done a bit of DIY on my old tank light, i just took the switch out of the system.
sdc10754i.jpg

sdc10753h.jpg

now all that's left is to get the plants, all the plants that are in the tank now are from my other aquariums.
im not sure if to keep the wood with moss on might do because the shrimp love it.
Im just waiting on the light now =)
thanks
comments welcome

Just another quick update added a few more plants.
Not sure if to keep them or is there just to many?
sdc10764h.jpg

sdc10762n.jpg

sdc10763z.jpg

Thanks
comments welcome

Im a total newbie but I think the tank looks really nice and at £2.50 Im sure it makes it even nicer!!!
I think the plants you have should be swapped over - by that I mean the plants on the left to go on the rhs and visa versa to try and give a gradual rise from left to right which would go with where you've placed the rocks. Like I said, total noob so I may be very wrong and I know when I finally start setting up my first planted tank this week, Im sure Ill spend hours moving things around and working out placements for myself!!!
Where abouts did you get those rocks from? Im using similar sand to you and the only rocks Ive been able to find are grey which won't give the look Im trying to go for!
Im sure the shrimp are still very happy in there!

samd0912 said:
Im a total newbie but I think the tank looks really nice and at £2.50 Im sure it makes it even nicer!!!
I think the plants you have should be swapped over - by that I mean the plants on the left to go on the rhs and visa versa to try and give a gradual rise from left to right which would go with where you've placed the rocks. Like I said, total noob so I may be very wrong and I know when I finally start setting up my first planted tank this week, Im sure Ill spend hours moving things around and working out placements for myself!!!
Where abouts did you get those rocks from? Im using similar sand to you and the only rocks Ive been able to find are grey which won't give the look Im trying to go for!
Im sure the shrimp are still very happy in there!

thanks i might try that, i got the rocks from Emsworth aquatics
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf-8& ... 122&li=lmd
i dunno if the map will help but its a good little shop if you haven't been there its open 7 days a week.

Ive used Emsworth Aquatics a few times but only ever for food and to replace a couple of tiger barbs which died a few months back :(
I might have to visit there again to have a decent look - Ive never looked at their rocks or plants but it'll be good for me to know what they have in there.
Keep us updated with the tank!

it wouldn't say buy plants off them they don't seem to be that good .
do u know there's maiden head aquatics in Titch field there worth a look.

Back