• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ΙKEA PLANTS.

Sarpijk

So, the other day I meet up with a fellow hobbyist to exchange some plants. He shows me a picture of his tank and I ask him about some red species I notice. To my surprise he mentions that he got all of them at IKEA! He got hygrophila Sunset, a species of Alternathera and the one I least expected- hygrophila araguaia!!

Yesteday I got me some of what looked like emersed hygro araguiaia! For 2€ you can't ask for more. I also saw hygro corymbosa, alternthera, lysimachia numularia. You don't get rooted plants, just cuttings.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Cheers Roy! I have let the cuttings float in my tanks. I do not really worry about the growing roots ! I am a little worried that I may not have got hygro araguaia since I am not 100% sure. From the pics found online I am pretty sure I got the right hygrophila.

Hygrophila 'araguaia' (most likely a Hyg. lancea variant, by the way) can be a lot more green in colour, when grown emerse. It will also very readily produce flowers.
If your cuttings are really from Hyg. araguaia, there would most likely be a lot of flower-buds where leaves are attached to stem.
Cuttings actually root very readily - also without using hormones........

Ι will try to post some pics once I get home from work!

Sent from my PAP5044DUO using Tapatalk

eaaa8800a58c50f99b93ed222bec1d8d.jpg
38eb1dad696f1ce81419b1a506aebfe2.jpg
a060db814ba1c9b54cee4b6e058cc9e1.jpg

Looks more like Hygrophila salicifolia, from waching these pic.s
- which is actually a nice, very narrow-leaved and easy plant to grow.

Last week they were in the IKEA shop were I live... but unless you come across them during the first days, what you have is a kind of soup with melted pieces of plant. I have also seen this format in 1€ Chinese shops. IMO they are not that cheap. Compare the amount of plants you have when you buy an in vitro tube... it cost 3€ more but you have 4-5x plants.

Jordi

- which is actually a nice, very nartow-leaved and easy plant to grow.
I used yo have a very similar plant (at least in emersed form) which was given to me as Hygrophila "Tiger". Is it a salicifolia form?

Jordi

- which is actually a nice, very nartow-leaved and easy plant to grow.

Ι was totally unaware of Hygrophila salicifolia. What doesn't show in the pictures is a red hue on the edges of the leaves. I will wait and see how it develops underwater but I too think that it may not be araguaia after all.

BTW here is the other hobbyist's tank that I mentioned in the initial post. Notice the hygrophila in the left side of the foreground. Is this araguaia?
Guotq4C.jpg

Last edited:
I used yo have a very similar plant (at least in emersed form) which was given to me as Hygrophila "Tiger". Is it a salicifolia form?

Jordi
He he - your guess is as good as mine, Jordi.......I really don't know.
I've tested quite a lot of Hygrophila's of "funny appearance and names". To be honest I have no idea, which specific specie most of them might originate from. If they don't pass tests to be evaluated for production, they will not be botanical determined.
- and the given "trade names"...... however "latin-ised" they seem.......are defenitely not to be trusted :facepalm:

I can't get to see your pic. Sarpijk, sorry

- but the Hyg. araguaia can be seen in Tropica's plant list. Both asxa drawing and a photo (both in submerged form, though)

The red edges of leaves on these Hyg. cuttings is usually due to plants being cultivated outdoor in the strong sun of Asia..........

The small, narrow-leaved, red-brown plant in foreground is a Hyg. lancea and likely the 'araguaia'.
The tall, elongated. brigjt green plant in back is Hyg. polysperma. Don't be mislead by orange tips - some polysperma will do this in strong(ish) light.

Thanks! That's what lead me to buy the plant from IKEA in the hope I would score some araguaia too. I mean what are the chances of IKEA carrying so many different hygro species! Concerning my plant do we completely rule out any possibility that it is araguaia?

Back