• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

‘Lazarus’...80x40x40, back on track!

Do a Lazarus, bring it back from the brink. Dammit man, you can't quit now.
I will do my best!

Qui vivra verra Thierry.

Donnez une nouvelle vie à votre art.
Haha well said man!

Its going to sound crazy, but I opted not to get a hyperspot recently, because many of the showtanks I saw using that light had a lot of algae issues. Many were scapes from 'pro' scapers that received the light as a preview. Not claiming causality, just correlation :) But the correlation was such, that I didnt get it in the end, at least not this version of the product. I love the looks, the shimmer, and everything else, and light alone cant cause algae, but I'm paranoid.
I don’t use an hyperspot on this scape but an aqi 80s model, same model I use on my 45p which is pristine so can’t blame the lights, it’s actually 5400lumens and I managed to get that kind of power on a 60p with my vivid2 so shouldn’t be an issue on this 80cm tank ;)

so today I kicked myself in the butt and done an big cleaning/manual removing of the ‘algae’ , 70% waterchange, and added 8 otocinclus. Removed all the dead epiphytes (unfortunately 80% of them melted)

actually this stuff isn’t algae, it’s an sort of fungus, problem is that it goes everywhere in the tank with flow or when cleaning it and everything it touches melt...anubia, buce..even stems! Already had this issue with the infamous ‘dragon wood’...this time I had prepared the wood by letting it soak 3 weeks in a tub but it seems that wasn’t enough!

anyway, will continue to manually removing it for the next days and I plan to add 20 amano shrimps this Friday, they will love this stuff!

let’s get this on the track again. :)

Not sure you can ever blame the light fitting for that, just the user not realising how much light and PAR they are putting out. It's deceptive with spot type lights like that, its easy to subconsciously assume they couldn't possibly put out as much light as a full tank width LED luminaire, but as I found out with the AI Prime I have, it puts out far more light with much greater intensity directly under the spot that any of the other lights I have, and though I haven't measured it with my Lux meter, at full output probably rivals the Vivid II.

I've also found that the combination chip RGB LED's don't look visually as bright as the older style lights using white LED's, but when you measure them they are putting out more Lux, and probably even more PAR. Net result - you can never trust your eyes for setting light intensity on a new light. In the absence of a proper PAR meter, which most of us don't have access to - I think it's still better to measure the output at the tank surface with a Lux meter as a proxy, for the old light, and adjust the new light to a similar output level in the first instance.

I imagine that's more likely the issue for those scapes using the Hotspot lights and their resulting algae.
That is very true, skylight guys told me that the hyperspot would need at least 40cm depth tank for the small 60cm model , ideally 50-60cm depth for the bigger ones, so this light unit seems very high PAR...which I guess isn’t easy to start with while launching a new tank. ;)

That is very true, skylight guys told me that the hyperspot would need at least 40cm depth tank for the small 60cm model , ideally 50-60cm depth for the bigger ones, so this light unit seems very high PAR...which I guess isn’t easy to start with while launching a new tank. ;)
Presumably it can be dimmed though?

Thats the spirit :D Good luck man!
Thanks mate!
Presumably it can be dimmed though?
I guess so, should be released soon so we’ll see!

on the other hand, livestock seems to enjoy this tank, especially the simulans which aren’t shy at all, something I didn’t expect because they are in small number (12) for now and can be very timid in some setups.

201209053252748957.jpg

201209053253896899.jpg

Hi there,

so still struggling with what seems brown filamentous diatoms algae, removing with hands every 2 days and water change every 5 days is helping but not getting rid of it for now.

‘otocinclus helped a lot cleaning the wood with the snails but now this stuff is getting on the older leaves of my stem plants...couldn’t find big amano shrimps to help so will continue this handy routine for now. Pretty sure all this stuff is related to detritus coming from wood!

anyway, got an beautiful couple of apisto agassizi , still acclimating to their new home but definitely nice behavior and colors already. :)

here’s some shots:
201218055845301359.jpg

201218055847426323.jpg

201218055846713352.jpg

Cheers
Thierry

Hi there,

Rhizoclonium attack:
201223070023780452.jpg

20122307004163999.jpg

since I’m finally in holiday tonight, I decided to take radical decisions to get rid of this messy stuff (first time I have this in of my tanks);

From what I read it’s mostly due to: high light and low level of co2, fluctuating level of co2, low o2, high organics...so here’s the plan:

1) 3 days blackout, without any co2 or ferts of course.
2) Big trim and cleaning.
3) adjust co2 properly and aeration at night with the help of a skimmer. (Actually injecting 24/24,
Doesn’t seem to help with this algae)
4) Open an crafted beer and observe.

On the other hand, Santa Claus was generous this year...will be testing these 2 bad boys very soon (skylight hyperspot)

201223070636241545.jpg

I’ve used this stuff before against green thread algae

Hey Cookies, does it have any impact or negative effect on the plants? I have been battling green thread algae in my mini Christmas moss and can not eradicate it.

Don't want to anything to the tank that might kill plants as well!

Green Algae👍
Did not affect my plants when I used it!👍

AlgExit is easy and economical to use and harmless to fish, shrimps, molluscs, and plants.👍

Hey Cookies, does it have any impact or negative effect on the plants? I have been battling green thread algae in my mini Christmas moss and can not eradicate it.

Don't want to anything to the tank that might kill plants as well!
hey, it works great but you have to be aware that it might affects the plant growth too so you want to use this for not too long (I used it for 2 weeks) and after that do some big waterchanges in a row and then give some proper ferts to your plants again. ;)

use this for not too long (I used it for 2 weeks) and after that do some big waterchanges in a row

Thanks.....When you dose for 2 weeks did you still do the normal weekly waterchanges? I currently chang about 75% per week and wonder if changing this amount will impact the effectiveness

Rhizoclonium attack
I've had this and pretty much every kind of algae known to man invade my latest scape, it's never really happened to me before either. I dealt with it by manually removing as much as possible, twisting it around a tooth brush, and then spot treating with LC whilst the filter was off. It seems to have worked and now my shrimp are getting to work clearing up the dead bits. I nearly went for the Alg Exit though. Needless to say keeping the filter clean and keeping up with maintenance is important too.

Thanks.....When you dose for 2 weeks did you still do the normal weekly waterchanges? I currently chang about 75% per week and wonder if changing this amount will impact the effectiveness

i think it’s mentionned to not change water during treatment.
I've had this and pretty much every kind of algae known to man invade my latest scape, it's never really happened to me before either. I dealt with it by manually removing as much as possible, twisting it around a tooth brush, and then spot treating with LC whilst the filter was off. It seems to have worked and now my shrimp are getting to work clearing up the dead bits. I nearly went for the Alg Exit though. Needless to say keeping the filter clean and keeping up with maintenance is important too.
It’s an bad one isn’t it? Never had an algae which attacks stems and healthy plants like this one before...:-/

Back