• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

‘Lazarus’...80x40x40, back on track!

It’s an bad one isn’t it? Never had an algae which attacks stems and healthy plants like this one before...:-/
It's not great, but once you get on top of it, it should start to disappear.

Hi guys, little update on this one, removed all the stems that were affected by rhizoclonium, added more co2 (on 3 hours before lights, cut off 1h before), improved Flow with jet pipes. Waiting for fresh new stems to come.
Buces finally started to adapt, unfortunately still lost 2 anubias petite (they seem to always melt for now).
Skylight hyperspot M is On it since one week, it’s an stunning light unit, very powerful so I’m running actually 3hours sunrise, with only 2hours at 100% and then 2 hours sunset to avoid more algae while plant adapts. The spectrum is awesome too, waiting for my red plants to mature to show more pics.

had some fish issues, introduced an young apistogramma agazissi couple, they got beaten by my two adult males nematobrycon palmeri! And because I was doing an blackout during 3 days just after introducing them, I realized too late that the male apisto was severely injured at the back tail and couldn’t save him....those palmeri are crazy! I host now the female in the 45p, she’s recovering nicely, going to get her back to my lfs. I recently introduced 10 amano shrimps to help grazing the rhizoclonium, 3 hours after the introduction the palmeri started hunting one of them like wolves...poor amano. Be aware that these tetra can really have agressive behavior and their jaws...just look at the pic. I do love their coloration so I will keep them for now, hoping they’ll my amano alone if I feed them more...

210106124549857932.jpg

210106124550507769.jpg

Another great macro shot @CooKieS - those are some serious teeth! I've always wanted some Emperors in a future larger tank, I might have to rethink now!

I'm interested to hear more about the new luminaire - can you shed any more light on it (pun intended!)? You've hinted that you can set a schedule, is that via an app or a manual controller? Are the diodes RGB or RGBW, and can you adjust the colour temperature? Also, how much shimmer do they produce?

Another great macro shot @CooKieS - those are some serious teeth! I've always wanted some Emperors in a future larger tank, I might have to rethink now!

I'm interested to hear more about the new luminaire - can you shed any more light on it (pun intended!)? You've hinted that you can set a schedule, is that via an app or a manual controller? Are the diodes RGB or RGBW, and can you adjust the colour temperature? Also, how much shimmer do they produce?

thanks man, as long as you don’t get any others territorial fishes with them, emperor are stunning. ;)

about the skylight hyperspot, you can find more specifications here:
21010612161273259.jpg

it comes with an manual controller which let you set daytime periods with sunset/sunrise, color temperature (2 channels, cold and warm), and HZ (4hz or 500hz to avoid flickering while Filming), it’s very handy and works great.

the shimmer is smoother than the one I got from the skylight aqi 80 intense, I love it. The mirror surface under the unit gives an whole new dimension too.

About the spectrum, it’s more saturated in the red tones in comparaison to the Aqi, but definitely less saturated than the Ada solar or chihiros vivid for example, very natural feeling. These are RGB spots.

Hope this helps, otherwise don’t hesitate to PM me. ;)

Thierry, have you got any pictures of the blackout underway? How did the aquarium look once the covers came off?

i don’t have pics but don’t be afraid to do one, it will stop the progression of the rhizoclonium and won’t do any hurt to plants.

just make sure to:

-cut the co2 during blackout
-don’t dose anything (some will advise to dose liquid carbon during it but haven’t tried)
-cover the whole tank to avoid any natural light to come in.
-better do an big waterchange before and after the 3 days blackout.
-after that siphon all the dead algae and eventually clean the filter too.
-then dose again, run good co2, dose liquid carbon to help growth of plants, and another water change 3 days after.

if this still doesn’t work, go for anti algae like algexit from easy life, actually using prodibio stuff , and it seems to really help against this messy algae.

have seen some reports saying Malaysian shrimps (army of them) and/or amano would help too but usually that ain’t enough in case of severe attack like in our tanks. ;)

Thanks for those tips. I'm going to wait and see how the plants respond to the increased co2 before (possibly) doing a blackout. And I'm not going to put any livestock in while the aquarium is a mess - not even algae eaters.

Hi,

while my tank was slowly getting in balance, my Aquael ultramax 2000 stopped working after maintenance this morning 🤦🏻‍♂️, it seems to be an well known problem and I’ll need to get the filter back to Aquael for new impeller shaft (v2.0) and some other tweakings...but for now it has left my tank with no filter and worse, probably killed all the beneficial bacteria in it at this time.

my plan is to buy an oase biomaster 600 tomorrow morning and fill it with my aquael media in order to save some at least...very disappointed from this Ultramax, wasn’t silent since the beginning and lost flow weeks after weeks until stopped today after running for only 2 and a half months. :-/

Last edited:
Update: bought an eheim pro 4+ 600 today, it was 30€ cheaper than the oase biomaster 600, as I didn’t need an heater...I think it was the best move.
Quickly installed it this morning, running smoothly for now, will see how it turns out in a few days...one thing is sure; the flow is nearly as good as the aquael even if it’s only rated at 1250l/h. :)

Livestock didn’t care about the 24hours without filter...that’s an good point.

Got a new photo setup with an lumix gx9 combined with an 60mm macro Lens that I’m actually trying, hope this will help to improve the pics quality of my journals.

here’s the tetra Gang:

210113012739694573.jpg

Hi there,

Getting ‘Lazarus’ back on track, no more rhizoclonium, stems are starting to get dense again, eheim filter is doing an proper job and co2 is stable.

Enjoying it again. :)

Some macro shots with my new 7artisans 60mm lens:

210116100529234848.jpg

210116100529657963.jpg

210116100530366960.jpg

210116100530824403.jpg

This is looking great - well done!
merci Paul!

Following this with interest, very inspiring. I'm glad you didn't give up on this! Looking forward to the eventual fts
Glad I didn’t too, thanks to the kind words and the support from ppl on ukaps:)

I was watching theNematobrycon Palmeri sparring last day, what an beautiful show:

210126092622216786.jpg

About the tank, all the plants are thriving again and the bucephalandra and crypto are back from their meilting, finally. That eheim filter is killing it for now, very good flow, and easy to care for, will see how it goes in the long term. ;)

Stunning as usual, can definitely tell this is one of your scapes. I was pretty glad when you decided this wasn't going to be competition tank and no longer needed to be kept secret with cryptic photos - always an inspiration.

That looks awesome - any chance of a FTS?
not yet ;)

Stunning as usual, can definitely tell this is one of your scapes. I was pretty glad when you decided this wasn't going to be competition tank and no longer needed to be kept secret with cryptic photos - always an inspiration.

thank you very much, I may have changed my mind about competition...and will probably submit this one. :)

Some plants pics from this weekend maintenance;

210208105434141969.jpg

210208105523389302.jpg

Time to get some colors...minor staghorn issues because lack of K, dosing more and upped the co2 because my plant mass exploded, will see how it goes.

Glad I saved this one, really enjoying it at the moment and livestock seems to enjoy it too :)

210310125831640468.jpg

Back