• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

000 vs Dennerle cleanator

idris

Have just found out about the Dennerle Cleanator. "The stainless steel wool on one side removes even the most stubborn algae and residues, without scratching the glass".
I'd never thought of using wire wool to clean aquariums - is there any reason not to use somethings like 000 wire wool?

Have just found out about the Dennerle Cleanator. "The stainless steel wool on one side removes even the most stubborn algae and residues, without scratching the glass".

I've used them and still ended up with scratches :eek: think it was due to a snail getting in the mesh when the Cleanator :oops: gone back to using pan scrubbies as cheap and very easy to pick up

For years I've used the scrubbing pads too but specifically those for non stick pads. Still cheap to buy in a pack of 10 or 12 and do the job with no scratches. You need to be careful not to get any sand, etc, stuck in it but that's the same fot pretty much everything

Used to use a cleanator and they’re very good at even removing stubborn algae, however over time the wire wool side broke down and left little silver splinters everywhere in the tank. Now I just use a pan scrubber, a lot cheaper and just as good without the breakdown of wire wool.

cheers

conor

Pan scrubbers get my vote too. In particular these for a couple of quid...

s-l640.jpg

If you have hard to shift algae on the glass and don't have the time to work at it with a sponge and elbow grease then this bulldozer will get the job done -

image.png

You can get the kit which comes with a stick for the hard to reach places, it's a little more expensive but if you can reach all round the tank with your hand then just the Blanki will do. Using these on both freshwater and marine systems there is no rust with prolonged use and no rinsing afterwards so confirms that the wool is derived from stainless steel (it's a more expensive wire wool than the cheap general use stuff you get from b&q).

Back