• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

045L - Behind the mountains - Mateusz Salawa

salava8

Hello Everyone! :)

At long last, I was able to start a new 45L aquarium. The assumptions are high-tech tank with CO2 and LED lighting, to which I approach a bit with distance. I don't really know what to expect from Chihiros A501. It must be admitted, that the price / quality ratio is very good. :happy:

If we talk about filtration I will use classic Eheim 2213. The substrate is ADA Amazonia, a mixture of new and used. As for plants, I focus on low height species, to not cover the rocks (Eleocharis parvula, Eleocharis acicularis, Hemianthus callitrichoides 'cuba'). I will fertilize VIMI All in One (as easy as possible).

Is this arrangement in style of Iwagumi or Ragwork? I don't know. I think I can name it Ragwork. However, a lot of rocks are there. What's your opinion on this topic? o_O

I created the layout for several months, there were a few fixes, I had to buy larger rocks, the final version you can see below:
IMG_9796p_IG.jpg

Volume: 50 x 30 x 30cm = 45L.
Filtration: Eheim 2213 (400 l / h).
Lights: Chihiros A501.
Photo Period: 12 am - 9 pm.
Fertilisation: Easy Life Nitro (1 ml/day), Aqua Art K+ (1 ml/day), Seachem Stability.
CO2: High-pressure bottle with ceramic diffuser.
Water: RO + mineralizer orange v4.
Substrate: ADA Amazonia, sand.
Flora: Eleocharis parvula, Eleocharis acicularis, Hemianthus callitrichoides 'cuba'.
Fauna: Hyphessobrycon amandae, Red cherry.

I will keep the thread up-to-date, I will try to note my actions, a bit in the form of a journal.

Of course, the fastest updates you can see on my aquarium Instagram :angelic:;):pompus:
https://www.instagram.com/akwapelneroslin

Last edited:
love the scape mate, i have the Chihiros 301 and the only fault is the heat it produces when 75% or above, can get quite hot to touch. Anything under 75% luke warm.

what rock is that?

I'm already following you on Instagram :)

I Defoe wouldn't say this is iwagumi style. Iwagumi is about placement of a fee rocks on a substrate slope with plants between them by my definition.

This scape is planting substrate generally behind a line of rocks with cosmetic sand in front. If that's ragwork then great!

love the scape mate, i have the Chihiros 301 and the only fault is the heat it produces when 75% or above, can get quite hot to touch. Anything under 75% luke warm.

what rock is that?

Thanks :). I use a lamp at level 6 of 7. You're right, it's quite hot. o_O The rocks are called Scenery stone.

I'm already following you on Instagram :)

I Defoe wouldn't say this is iwagumi style. Iwagumi is about placement of a fee rocks on a substrate slope with plants between them by my definition.

This scape is planting substrate generally behind a line of rocks with cosmetic sand in front. If that's ragwork then great!

Thanks for following. :thumbup:
I think the same as you. It's rather Ragwork. :happy::happy::happy:

Sometimes I think the aquascape categories are quite restrictive... no need to label things as long as it looks good!

Day 6 [Update]

IMG_9784p_IG.jpg

There are already first signs of tragedy ... Parvula from invitro began to have humors and began to turn yellow and dissolve. :(

Since the first day I have been fertilizing Aqua-art K + (3 ml / day). I did maintenance on 2, 4 and 5 days (40-50%). I did tests every day, There are the results:
pH = 6.5 - 7
kH = 6 ° n
NO3 = 1 mg / l
PO4 = 0 mg / l
K = 15 mg / l
NO2 = 0.05 mg / l

On day 4 I saw that NO3 is still at a low level of 1 mg / l, so I started to give VIMI All in One (1 ml / day).

NO3 after turning on the fertilization VIMI All in One is at the level of 5 mg / l. I did't measure potassium, assuming it must be okay. Today, or on day 6 (just the second day of VIMI administration), I noticed the tragedy, Eleocharis Parvula lost green color, began to dissolve. Can it be potassium? I regret that I did't measure it at second time.

I would like to add that I use a filter with mature cartridges, which has been going on continuously for several months. I did't use Carbo in the liquid. I have CO2 injection, about 3 b / sec (yellow indicator). Theoretically, the light is also enough. Hemianthus calitrihoides and Eleocharis acicularis are green and I see that they are growing. Only Parvula reacted so negatively. The package has arrived well secured, together with Eleocharis acicularis, which is growing well. I have no idea. Maybe some element in my behavior is wrong ... if anyone has any ideas I will be happy to hear o_O:drowning:

PS. And the worst thing is that I read descriptions on the internet, and there: "This is easy plant".

Day 10 [Update]

It's a different day but I still have the same problems, next maintanance and next parameter measurements. :pompus::woot:
Currently, I fertilizer 2 ml of Aqua-art K+ and 1 ml of Vimi All in One. There is a green algae on glass and stones, after addition of Vimi. Normal casus with this fertilizer and fresh tank. Over time, when the plants will be bigger, the situation should normalize.

The tests indicate the following results:
pH = 6.5 - 7
kH = 8 ° n
NO3 = 1 mg / l
K = 25 mg / l

Number 20 - akwapelneroslin small.jpg

For this reason, I will slightly modify the fertilization. I will fertilizer 2 ml of Vimi All in One and 1 ml of Aqua-art K+. Until now, Hemianthus callitrichoides has been the best from the start. Eleocharis parvula dissolved in 80%. :shifty::shifty::shifty:
During the maintenance, I remove the dead part of plants. I wait patiently for the growth of the other plants. o_O:angelic:

Last edited:
I must admit that I have always had a problem with green algae in arrangements with a large amount of rocks. I am still looking for the perfect solution for this type of arrangement. It is difficult but it seems to me that it is possible. On the network we can find many tanks with perfectly clean rocks. :snaphappy:o_O

I was out of the house for a few days. After returning, positive surprise. Plants have started, especially Eleocharis. ;) However, the green alge, also appeared. :meh: I will fight with him during maintenance. Before I go, I only gave the minimum dose of Vimi All in One.

I decided to change the plan of fertilization a bit. I will give Easy Life Nitro and Aqua Art K +. We will see what the reaction will be. I wonder what will be the react od plant for lack of microelements. I must observe and react. ;)

I mounted the videos showing the building process of the arrangement. Enjoy watching.:pompus::happy::headphone:

Clean stones in an iwagumi is always a challenge.

Had best results by only dosing K but my monte carlo was showing deficiency after some times...so I added NP and then my MC goes crazy and my stones go green...finally I bought myself an good toothbrush...enjoy!

Clean stones in an iwagumi is always a challenge.

Had best results by only dosing K but my monte carlo was showing deficiency after some times...so I added NP and then my MC goes crazy and my stones go green...finally I bought myself an good toothbrush...enjoy!

True story... o_O

I invite you to watch the movie from the start :D (the arrangement has got own name). ;)

Plants develops, Eleocharis looks very good. Hemianthus also grows, but much slower.
I currently fertilize Easy Life Nitro (1 ml / day) and Aqua Art K + (1 ml / day). On the rocks there is still a green algae with which I fight in the various ways (carbo, toothbrush, hydrogen peroxide). I just gave 1 ml of Vimi All One, and the algae appears even faster, so I try not to apply it. I set the light at level 5 of 7.
I am waiting for 100% coverage of the substrate by plants. o_O
I will be moving soon, so it can definitely affect on the tank badly. :eek:
cleardot.gif

Last edited:
Day 70 [Update]

Aquarium survived the relocation. Due to concern of glass damage during transport (~ 300 km) and the weight of the rocks, the hardscape was demouted and the shrimp were taken away. I won't hide that the rocks have been thoroughly cleaned before restart. :angelic: Based on the films and photos, the arrangement was built again, and after some adjustments the plants were planted in the right places. :)

Currently, I fertilizer tank the Easy Life Nitro (1 ml / day) and Aqua Art K + (1 ml / day). After maintenance, I give Seachem stability, which I received as a gift from Green Aqua. I still use RO water and orange v4 mineralization for maintenance. The plants have almost covered the entire substrate and the tank getting closer to FINAL PHOTO :snaphappy: :happy:.

Parameters of water:
pH = 6.5
kH = 8°n
NO3 = 5 mg/l
K = 20 mg/l

This is what the tank looks like after 70 days from the start :wave: ;)

Behind the mountains_all_IG.jpg

I would have forgotten, in the aquarium appeared Hyphessobrycon amandae :clap:

Thanks for your opinions @Filip Krupa, @CooKieS, @Steve Buce ;).

Update [Day 150]

The tank is still functioning with smaller or larger problems. The main enemy is the green raid on the rocks. In general, it is possible to keep clean the rocks, but I need to take care of regular water changes, cleaning and don't make big changes in the style of more light.

Fertilization unchanged: Easy Nitro and Aqua Art K +. Lighting: level 3/7. Which is a bit of a shock for me because the plants grow nicely green and healthy. At the beginning I think that the carpet in such a low light and lack of fertilization with microelements can't succeed. The man learns his whole life. :thumbup: I connected the Hydor flow heater to Eheim 2213. It is a very nice solution. The filter flow didn't decrease significantly.

I will transfer the tank from the kitchen to the living room to a dedicated ADA-style cabinet. By the way, I will liquidate the beach. I plan to cover the entire bottom of the tank with plants. :) The project will go to the classic Iwagumi.

IMG_20190116_221320_866.jpg

IMG_20190116_221340_115.jpg

IMG_20190116_221522_192.jpg

Hardscape for this tank won 59th place for 188 entries in the Nordic Scapers Hardscape Challenge 2018 competition. :happy::happy::happy:

Screenshot_20190109-155321.jpg

Of course, the fastest updates you can see on my aquarium Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/mateusz.salawa.aquascaping

the green raid on the rocks

Hopefully this will naturally go away with time, a bit like diatomes.
My white rocks got really green at first (loved it), but once the tank established and ottos started munching they became white again (sad times).

Its all good fun!
Fil

Hi
Keep up the good work.
Love the hardscape.There so much detail ro tickle your eye.
Regards Konsa

Back