• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

045L - Behind the mountains - Mateusz Salawa

stunning! :)
Hi
Keep up the good work.
Love the hardscape.There so much detail ro tickle your eye.
Regards Konsa
Glad to hear that ;)

As I announced, I moved the aquarium from the kitchen to the living room. Now the aquarium is on a dedicated ADA style cabinet. After leveling with adjustable feet, I began to arrange the tank again.

This time I tried to create a simpler arrangement in the style of classic Iwagumi. For this purpose, I used Scenery Stone rocks. According to the assumptions of Japanese art, I used an odd number of rocks. I started stacking from the main rock. Then I tried to match the auxiliary rocks to make the composition consistent.
Which option do you like more? Iwagumi with a carpet plants or Ragwork with the beach? ;)

I invite you to follow my aquaristic social media. :snaphappy:;)

could you take a pic of back of your tank showing the lamp.

@soggybongo I attached the photo below ;)

There were no major changes in the aquarium. I used the same substrate (ADA Amazonia), filter (Eheim 2213 + inlet / outlet with Plexiglas DIY) and the same lighting (Chihiros a501). Plants are again Eleocharis acicularis, and Hemianthus callitrichoides 'cuba'. Aquarium will be fertilized with CO2 from the cylinder for 24 hours and liquid fertilizers to the water column.

51567736_292729544744846_465282689168048128_n.jpg

IMG_20190204_200053-01_small.jpeg

I let snails military helmet to the aquarium shortly after the start. What turned out to be a big mistake. The snails began to dig in the ground, making the hemianthus seedlings break away from the ground. In addition, after two weeks I noticed a mega attack of black beard algae. :sour::sour::sour:
digging in the ground isn't the wisest thing right after the start ... :sorry: The battle continues. :watching:

This is my working patent for the backlit background. In the future, I plan to exchange for a colder color. 8)

IMG_20190211_172635 — small.jpg

IMG_20190211_172436 small.jpg

I really like that layout. It is different that two main stones are same size and almost mirroring each other.

You should name it the Twin Peaks.

Thank you very much for comment :)

In the last weekend I had the pleasure to participate in the third edition of the Aquael Aquarium Contest 2019. At the Aquael Aquarium Contest 2019, I presented the arrangement that I prepared earlier in the home. I built the ragwork at competition with individual elements without glue.

1.jpg

2.jpg

This was my arrangement at the Aquael Aquarium Contest 2019. In my opinion Place 5 (13 participants) is a big success .

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

AQUAEL Aquarium Contest | 2019
Rank | 5
Number of participants | 13

Congratulations to the winners .

Time to write what's happen in my aquarium :)

In the aquarium every now and then I fight with Green Fuzz Algae (Oedogonium). :bored: A month ago I left the aquarium for an unaccompanied week (holiday). After returning, I was shocked. The entire aquarium was covered with green algae. I have thoroughly cleaned the tank during the water change, I turned on the fertilizer again, cleaned the filter, and added the Femanga Algen Stopp General. It helped.

IMG_20190316_012732 — kopia.jpg

Later, I took the arrangement for the Aquael Aquarium Contest, after returning I started anew, I used new plants, I also added new species of stems. Nevertheless, after two weeks I see that theGreen Fuzz Algae attack again. They appear on stones and some plants. Somewhere, I'm making a mistake.

po podmianie_16 dni — kopia.jpeg

My assumptions:
- very hard water (scenery stone)?
- substrate (new Amazonia mixed with very old Amazonia, which is not suitable for anything. I noticed it after flooding). : | Old Amazonia is on the bottom (2cm)?
- error in fertilization, micro deficiencies (stems)?
- poor quality of nitrogen from Easy Life, maybe it will be better Seachem?

Day 30 from the new start.

My fight with algae continues. After reading the algae guide on the page from the photos, it appears that it is Chlorophytaceae - short filamentous and brush-colored green algae. According to the recommendations I gave Femanga Algen Stop.

przed podmiana_30 dni — kopia.jpeg

I am trying to find a solution to the problem. Fertilization with nitrogen and potassium alone in various configurations doesn't help (0.5 + 0.5ml, 1 + 0.5ml). I noticed that the algae arrives when the efficiency of my filter drops (Eheim 2213). Therefore, the cause may be in poor filtration. Although the facts that Eheim 2213 is too weak to 45L, I am a bit surprised.

I decided to help the water circulation in the aquarium a second filter appeared. Currently, the tank have 2 x Eheim 2213. Cartridges: Eheim Mech, Seachem Matrix, Seachem Matrix Carbon, ceramics and sponge. It should be better.

Water parameters before maintenance (with current potassium fertilization 0.5 ml / day + nitrogen 1 ml / day):
pH: 6.8 - 7.0
T: 23 ° C
gH: ~ 15 ° n
kH: 10 ° n
NO3: 10 mg / l
PO4: 0 mg / l
Fe: 0 mg / l
K: 15 mg / l
Mg: 9 mg / l
Ca: 70 mg / l

The next step which is planning to start delicate fertilization through Vimi All in One (eg 0.4 ml / day) to strengthen plant growth. In previous tanks, it always worked perfectly. If I don't win, I throw the aquarium through the window and end up with this hobby: evil:: evil:: evil: 8).

Last edited:
Hi all,
A month ago I left the aquarium for an unaccompanied week (holiday). After returning, I was shocked. The entire aquarium was covered with green algae.........
img_20190316_012732-%E2%80%94-kopia-jpg.jpg
That is quite impressive in a week.
My assumptions:
- very hard water (scenery stone)?
- substrate (new Amazonia mixed with very old Amazonia, which is not suitable for anything. I noticed it after flooding). : | Old Amazonia is on the bottom (2cm)?
- error in fertilization, micro deficiencies (stems)?
- poor quality of nitrogen from Easy Life, maybe it will be better Seachem?
Filamentous green algae are definitely more prevalent in hard water, and their growth may be stimulated by higher than normal levels of ammonia (from the new ADA Amazonia?).

I should have some phytoremediation papers on this. One I've recently looked at used <"Oedogonium sp. as a biocrude oil source, with municipal waste water as the growth medium">.

I tend to think of all the green photosynthetic organisms as "plants". The mosses, ferns and higher plants are the "plants you want" and Green Algae are the "plants you don't want". All the green plants (those that possess chlorophyll a and chlorophyll b) are identical in terms of their basic photosynthetic physiology. Because the green algae <"are closely related to the higher plants"> it is unlikely to be a nutrient deficiency.

All my tanks are stuffed full of plants, but I believe that <"tanks with fewer plants"> are more likely to have green algae issues. If you have non-limiting light and nutrients (including CO2) then plants will grow, just in this case the plants you didn't want.

I'm not a user of branded fertilisers, mainly because, once ions are in solution, they are all the same, the only difference between fertilisers would be the ratio of NH3/NH4+ to NO3, and the total amount of nitrogen.

On a more positive note. I love the "swirl" in the algae, it looks look the green fluorescent hair you got on <"troll dolls"> in the 1980's.

Thinking outside the box, maybe we have seen the future of aquascaping, first challenge is to grow lots of green filamentous algae and then tonsure into corn rows?

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Thank you for your comment @dw1305 ;).

Update (day 70)
60619280_331966994154434_5613110986983604224_n.jpg

As I announced, I did it.

Two Eheimes 2213 work. The water is perfectly clear. I have never had one like it before. :cool: Maybe it's also thanks to Seachem Matrix :). I started using Tropical Algin Pond (3 doses per week for 2 ml). I temporarily with fertilization stopped. Algaes have significantly weakened, but point where, where new ones appear.

60910380_332979050719895_606728847127216128_n.jpg

I decided to take a closer look at the Chihiros a501 beam, which generates a maximum of 4800 lm (7th level). For the purposes of calculations, I assumed a linear increase in the number of lumens. The glass volume is 45L.

With such assumptions, I calculated that:
level 7 - 4800 lm - 106 lm / L,
level 6 - 4110 lm - 91 lm / L,
level 5 - 3425 lm - 76 lm / L,
level 4 - 2740 lm - 61 lm / L,
level 3 - 2055 lm - 46 lm / L,
level 2 - 1370 lm - 30 lm / L,
level 1 - 685 lm - 15 lm / L.

From information circulating on the web:
up to 20 lm / L = LT
20 - 40 lm / L = MT
above 40 lm / L = HT

The conclusion is unambiguous, level 3 on my aquarium should be enough for the proper development of plants. So I set the lamp to level 3. :happy::pompus:

60388341_329932057691261_9034941878729965568_n.jpg
60814891_329931994357934_2702415241077063680_n.jpg

I'm fighting on, it's better, small steps forward. :angelic::angelic::angelic::headphone:

Update (day 90) - It's better and even very good! ;)

For some time I stopped fertilizing, I was doing water changes for RO water (almost without mineralization), I gave Tropical Algin Pond.

Then I changed three things in the way of running the aquarium. Light decreased to level 2 (30 lm/L), I changed Easy Life Nitro (finished) to Seachem Flourish Nitrogen, additional I started to add Mg fertilizer so that the ratio of Ca to Mg was at the level of ~ 3: 1. The effects are excellent. :D There were fewer weekly thread algae. Until now, when there are almost none. In addition, when I add the minimum amounts of VIMI All in One, the plants grow very fast. Finally, the aquarium begins to happy me. ;)

PS. I don't know only which change was crucial for improving the situation :D.
A photo without equipment (but the final photo is still a future) ;).

Behind_Salawa_1mb.jpg

Congratulations Mateusz.
Very nice.

Thank you :)

This time in the film I showed how I try to take pictures of my arrangements :). Hard topic. It is different with this. Despite everything, applications for the European Aquatic Plants Layout Contest 2019 are open :). I have to try :).

I sent the final photo to EAPLC 2019 (nano category). ;) I am very happy with the photo and the ranking of the contest. :cool:

Behind the mountains | 45L
EAPLC 2019
Rank 27
Number of participants | 125

Mateusz Salawa - Behind the mountains.jpeg

Congratulations.
Nice scape:thumbup:

Back