• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

10 gallon tank questions

tennis4you

I have a 120 gallon tank which is now officially doing very well thanks to you guys, thank you for that!

I am looking into messing around with a 10 gallon tank for fun. Probably mainly a shrimp tank with 4-5 tetras in it just for some variety. But naturally I could not set up a tank without plants so I have some questions...

This is a small tank only 20" wide. The only T-5 light I saw online was 18" wide but it was 40 watts. That puts me at 4 Watts per gallon. I was hoping to just substitute Excel or a DIY CO2 for the small tank. Would dosing with Excel be sufficient if I am slamming the tank with 4 Watts per gallon? If not, what kind of light would you recommend for such a small tank?

Just looking for ideas to get started. Trying to start off inexpensive, I have dropped enough $$$ into the big tank. :)

Thanks !!!

I think you would have problems with only excel when having 4wpg. I think there's these 11w/9w lights called arc pods or something, aqua essentials sell them. a couple of those would be okay.

You could go back to T8, 15w = 18inch which would give you a nice 1.5wpg

Hi, I have an 18" tank and i sourced an 18" (adjustable) luminere style light from ebay which uses 8w 12" T5 tubes of which there are three - 24W. Also they are switchable 2 and 1 tubes so you could operate at 8W or 16W if you so wished. Tubes are readily available. Unfortunately, however, I can't find them on ebay again and that's where they were cheap (£20ish). They were from Hong Kong but arrived with no probs at all. I've still got the details so if you want to mail the supplier direct, PM me and I'll forward the details.

Back