• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

10 Litre Nano

Sentral

Hi guys,

I've recently liberated a tiny old 10 litre tank from my girlfriends parents garage. It came complete with a hood but no lighting, so I ordered a few of those LED strips you see on eBay and wired it all up. I've gone for 2 white, 1 blue, and 1 red. It seems bright enough for viewing, but I realise this isn't suitable for most plants, but hopefully I can get some low light tolerant plants to flourish with a little love!

I purchased an Interpet PF mini filter; which would do the job and doesn't seem too bad, but I've already decided that I want some kind of HOB filter instead due to aesthetics and tight space. Any recommendations? I was thinking Azoo Mignon, Aqua Vital or an Eheim Liberty
It's been cycling for about a week now with just flake food and API stress zyme to hopefully kick start things. However since finally finding some ammonia, I started to use that a few days ago. At this point I didn't have a test kit, so I had no idea what my levels were! (duh).

Well I got an API master test today and tested for Ammonia; big fat zero! Then I put a bit too much in and tested again and was off the scale. 2 90% water changes later and it's down to about 4-5 ppm, which I think should be OK. I'm guessing that amount of ammonia killed off any bacteria that were in the filter (if any) so basically I'm counting today, 1st July as Day 1.

I'm going to wait for the tank to cycle before I get plants, but I had a few in mind:

lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae
Acorus Gramineus Pusillus (Dwarf)
Miocrosorum Petite

I really like the look of dwarf hairgrass, but I'm guessing my lighting may not be to up to it. However, I really like the iwagumi style so any advice on planting would be great. I'm also planning on getting a substrate beforehand, was thinking Tetra complete as it's quite affordable.

Here's a quick pic in it's current state:

web_3.jpg

Feel free to post some iwagumi nano tanks for my inspiration!

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben,

There's no need to worry about any of the levels you're testing for. Just plant it up and off you go. Don't dose any ammonia, it's not necessary, and neither is the stress zyme. The plants won't mind if the tank isn't cycled.

Have you considered any liquid ferts?

Tom

Hi Ben,

I have the Mignon on my 20L - I think its the best HOB filter I've seen for a nano - you can see it in my Japanese journal - last photo. Not been running it long though so not sure how it will cope when I put some livestock in.

The Aqua Vital (which I didn't see when I was looking) looks pretty similar though. The Liberty seemed to have good reviews but was ugly as hell!

However I really liked the new Eheim Aquastyle internal filter (with light) I saw at the ADC meet during the week:
http://www.aquariumline.com/catalog/ehe ... anguage=en

We were discussing whether they sell them separately. I think they would clean up if they do - pretty unobtrusive and I love the way the light works although they could do to pretty it up a touch maybe taking a lead from the Tropica Aquacube which is my very favourite - just wish it was a bit bigger!

Azoo Mignon's are Great HOB's Have been using them for a 6 Years. Not a Bad Word to say about them, and so Easily Modified to suit the tank.

Thanks, do you guys have any pics of your filters in situ?

I got some Sumatran driftwood root in there now; unsure if I'm going to keep it.

I kind of want to keep things simple with this tank, using Seiryu Stone and a carpeting moss (or low light tolerant plant) and some sort of low grass in the foreground.

Opinions? :)

34rwtag.jpg

Thanks Gill, looks pretty good to me.

Yesterday I got a Marina Easy Clean, Tetra CompleteSubstrate and UniPac black fine sand:

I've been studying iwagumi over on Aquajournal.net (very good resource!), and looking for suitable plants/livestock.

Heres my current selection:

Background:

• Eleocharis Acicularis
    Lilaeopsis Brasilensis
    Cryptocoryne petchii

Foreground/Carpet:

• Riccia fluitans
    Marsilea hirsuta
    Utricularia Graminifolia

Livestock (choices):

• Danio Margaritatus (Galaxy Rasbora)
    Poecilia wingei (Endlers Livebearer)
    Hyphessobrycon amandae (Ember Tetra)
    Tanichthys albonubes (White Cloud Mountain Minnow)

Caridina Heteropoda (Red Cherry shrimp)
    Caridina cantonensis (Bee Shrimp)

What does everyone think of this list? I've tried to select plants that aren't too demanding in the light department, but hopefully my substrate (along with ferts) and CO2 should suffice for them.
The fish I selected for their size and suitability for a nano. Anyone have other recommendations or comments on these?

Back