• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

10 Years Later..

Hi all,
I have also put some live stock in and am going to do a 50 water change weekly just for a bit. Tested my parameters again today and they are all at 0 currently.
Was the nitrate (NO3) 0 ppm?
Unfortunately I came downstairs this morning to find two of the barbs belly up. They looked like they had been chewed. I’m guessing they got into some pretty serious fights last night and that was that.

Can’t really think of any other reason why they would have died and looked as bad as they did
You are never going to know. Were they Tiger Barbs?

It is a tank with nothing to break up line of sight and you can get scraps for dominance that end up with fatalities if the loser has know-where to hide.

The other option is a water quality one, because you don't have many plants, you tank is nearer to a non-planted tank and still possibly not "cycled", if you didn't have cycled filter media initially?

I'm not an advocate of cycling using ammonia, but I like tanks with lots of plants, including some with the <"aerial advantage">. An air stone might help at night.
If possible add some cheap fast growing plants in the beginning, this will addd stability to your tank (can be pondplants like Elodea (waterweed), watersprite (ceratopteris), Egeria densa (brazilian waterweed) aka oxygenating plants).
and @Edvet's suggestion.

cheers Darrel

image.jpg
Sad to read this news.
How are the other fish doing?

They are all good thanks. Parameters are all still at 0 Daryl.

I have added more plants now as well.

I shook it for about 30 seconds like it said but it still came back 0 from what my eyes could make out. If there was a hint of pink I didn’t see it

How long roughly should it take for a drop checker to turn lime green? It’s been running for 24 hours now (not constantly) and it’s still blue.

It’s at 1bps in a 200 litre tank.

Thanks
James

DC will be slow anyway but 2-3 hours at least.

Could you explain what you mean in the above? :)

Also the co2 is on for 6 hours a day at the moment, same as the lights but comes on an hour earlier.

Oh also, is it better to have the drop checker at the opposite end of the tank to the outflow?

In my 140ltr the co2 is on about 5 bubbles per second for 2 hours before to turn the drop checker green at lights on mine is a lot heavier planted than yours though so I think you just need to up the bubble rate but as said before I'd do it little by little as you have live stock

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Well it’s looking ok so far. I had some soft brown fluffy type algae on the tree wood but I saw the barbs eat all that in the first day I put them in Didn’t realise they ate algae!

I’m up to 3 bps now and I have upped the lights to 65% intensity. Still 6 hours a day for lights and co2. The drop checker has gone slightly more green so little by little...

Feeding the plants twice a week currently. Didn’t know if too much nutrient would bring on an algae attack. I’m feeding them the eco aqua complete stuff. 2 ml each time.

Oh by the way, does anyone know how to get the pics after the text rather than before?!

Cheers
Jimi

Just using my safari browser on my phone.

DC is lime green at last :)

Just a quick update. Things seems to be ticking along nicely. Nothing else to report really!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 142
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 151
Well I had a bit of a change around today. I’m still not feeling it though but I’m done for today. Got rid of the tree as it looked out of place and the large bit of bogwood.

I’m going to put some swords in the back right and then just leave it alone for a while to see what happens. I’m not very good at envisioning what things will look like!

Any critique would be most welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 120
Oh and I measured the cut outs in the back that the guy that had the tank before me did and they look to be deep enough to take the lily pipes. I also measured the width of the rim and it’s under 4cm so I’m gonna order them tonight.

I also saw when I took the pic that there is a gap and if I cut that bit at the front of the gap it will be even thinner but won’t harm the integrity of the rim so if the pipes don’t fit right away I can cut those bits out and they defiantly will.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 111
Back