• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1000 litre Low Maintenance

I'd love to have space for a tank this large!! Its brilliant haha.

The constant water change though, Is this fed like a tap on a basin? What about chemicals in the untreated water?

I'd love to see a Amazon biotope in something this size, would be breath taking with large gangs of cory's apistogramma's tetra's angels so on so on, plenty of roots and leaf litter and floating plants :-O dream tank

Ah well maybe on day hhaha

Themuleous said:
Did you drill it yourself? Always wondered how easy that would be.

Sam

Yes drilled myself. Use a Diamond cutter on very slow speed and keep it lubricated with water. Just need to be careful about distance from the edge of the glass.

Always Broke said:
Great to see you are on with this again Mark. Will be watching with great interest

Simon

Thanks Simon

sanj said:
Like the idea of slow drip water change, I remember a guy at my dads office set up a system along the lines of constant water change with pipes going under his floor. Would be interesting to see how this is all set up. Glad to see you back on the project. :)

Thanks sanj, I will just connect a hose to the overflow, and pipe it through the wall into the rain water drain.

nayr88 said:
I'd love to have space for a tank this large!! Its brilliant haha.

The constant water change though, Is this fed like a tap on a basin? What about chemicals in the untreated water?

I'd love to see a Amazon biotope in something this size, would be breath taking with large gangs of cory's apistogramma's tetra's angels so on so on, plenty of roots and leaf litter and floating plants :-O dream tank

Ah well maybe on day hhaha

I dont plan on a constant water change. With the rate of flow I get on my HMA filter I plan to run for 24 hours. This will change approx 65% of the volume.

Mark Webb said:
With the rate of flow I get on my HMA filter I plan to run for 24 hours. This will change approx 65% of the volume.
Any change of a quick article on these filters? They do seem like a better option than RO which is just a waste of water. Cheers

I've never even heard of these filters!! Ill be googling in 5 minutes after a cup of tea haha. :D

Planted at last! Most of the original plan has now changed, particularly with the planting. Initially I have gone for fast growing plants to achieve balance as quickly as possible. I cycled the tank with household ammonia and Ammonia was at zero before plants went in.

Plant list as follows:

Heteranthea Zosterifolia
Alternanthera Reineckii
Hygrophila Difformis
Nymphaea Lotus Zenkeri Red
Pogostemon Helferi
Crypt Wendtii
Hygrophila Angustifolia
Sagittaria Platyphylia
Microsorum Pteropus
Cabomba Carolinia
Echinodorus Tenellus
Echinodorus Ozelot
Egeria Densa

To increase water turnover I have tried the Tunze Turbelle stream rated at 7000 litres per hour on the minimum setting, but it is too strong at least until the plants are established. I will give it another go in a few weeks but may have to go for something with a lower turnover.

Filtered water has gone by the way side and I will use tap water and dechlorinator for a weekly 50% water change.

I have installed a closed loop for CO² using an Eheim 1262 and AM1000. CO² distribution is through spray bars across the top of the tank. Working well so far, the drop checker is in the bottom half of the tank and showing bright green.

On the lighting I have gone for 6 x 39W T5’s which light the tank well, and initially on for 6 hours per day.

I have changed fish stocking too. Discus are no longer on the list. I have introduced 12 Crossocheilus Siamensis and 8 Denisoni Barbs. Next on the list are Rainbows, very much influenced by sanj’s videos of his tank on Youtube.

Heres a few shots. Waiting on plants for the front.

i-tfgp8W5-XL.jpg

i-Pv9FWSF-XL.jpg

i-fJgLz2j-XL.jpg

Siamensis getting on with the job
i-jPzs5X3-XL.jpg

Nice one Mark
At long long last :clap: :clap:

My tank is now very high maintenance
I spent over 45 minutes on it in total last month. Its just not on :D :D
And everything still works as from day 1.

Simon

Always Broke said:
Nice one Mark
At long long last :clap: :clap:

My tank is now very high maintenance
I spent over 45 minutes on it in total last month. Its just not on :D :D
And everything still works as from day 1.

Simon

Thanks Simon. Sorry to hear your tank is taking up so much of your time :lol:

Nice to see this project up and running.

If all your "C.siamensis" are of the same form as in the photo then I believe you have C.langei which is the one you want. I have tried to capture the two species that I have to help illustrate the differences and will post at some point. It seems they are still being sold together, I was in MA, Mere Park on the weekend and noticed both species in the same tank.

Just a note in regard to rainbowfish, do feed them a high veg/spirulina content diet so as to desuade them from taking a liking to any soft leaved plants (star grass, blyxa, downoi...)

Due to the colder weather recently I decided to get a Hozelock connection to fit onto my kitchen mixer tap. This way I can take off the chill when doing waterchanges now. I dont know if you have done this already, but it might be somthing to think about for the winter months.

With all these stems the next weeks and months is going to see a lot of development, very nice and looking forward to all the updates. :)

sanj said:
Nice to see this project up and running.

If all your "C.siamensis" are of the same form as in the photo then I believe you have C.langei which is the one you want. I have tried to capture the two species that I have to help illustrate the differences and will post at some point. It seems they are still being sold together, I was in MA, Mere Park on the weekend and noticed both species in the same tank.

Just a note in regard to rainbowfish, do feed them a high veg/spirulina content diet so as to desuade them from taking a liking to any soft leaved plants (star grass, blyxa, downoi...)

Due to the colder weather recently I decided to get a Hozelock connection to fit onto my kitchen mixer tap. This way I can take off the chill when doing waterchanges now. I dont know if you have done this already, but it might be somthing to think about for the winter months.

With all these stems the next weeks and months is going to see a lot of development, very nice and looking forward to all the updates. :)

Thanks for the tips sanj. good to know I have the right Crossocheilus. They certainly seem to be constantly nibbling. Strangely enough I bought a Hozelock fitting for my mixer taps a couple of days ago. After the first 50% water change the temp dropped to 15 degrees C which I felt was a bit drastic, and it took most of the day for the temp to get up to 22 again.

My CO2 seems to have dropped after the first night of running an air stone.

temp will drop if you're adding in cold water make sure you've got it mixed to warm before you set it going into the tank.

your co2 will drop if you run an airstone too shouldn't worry too much as once the co2 clicks back on next day it'll go back up although you may want to increase your bubble count as you're starting with a lower co2 ppm than you were before.

I have always added mixed water which keeps the temp change to a minimum.
My air pump turns off 3 hours before my Co2 kicks in. The air pump is running two big stones in the sump.
From my original set up the only thing I have changed is I got rid of the spray bar.

Si

Thanks guys. I will be adding mixed water on next change. Re the CO2 drop, I checked the regulator and bubble count had dropped right down on its own for some reason.

Tank is looking good, i also have echin ozelot and it's a fantastic plant. It's constantly producing new deep red leaves which slowly turn green as they develop but keep lots of red spots on them; it's very hardy too.

Tank at 34 days. Have to say that not having grown stems before I am astonished at the rate of growth. Sadly algae is taking a hold and many of the plants have a coating of algae on the leaves, but hopefully this will pass as the tank matures. I have done 6 x 50% water changes since start up.

i-DWjLLvJ-XL.jpg

CO² consumption is looking grim. I have now used 2 x 5kg's in a month and @ £20 each its not looking viable unless I can find a better source. Any suggestions would be welcome.

You either have a faulty reactor or a CO2 leak, 5kg should last you ~3-4 months. Any bubbles escaping the reactor?
Tank's looking fine even with the algae issue! :)

Back