• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

10L NANO - New photos

gmartins

Hi,

it's been a while since I registered but so far have not posted any pic of my aqua. This is a learning aqua so the layout has been somewhat left behind. I have kept fish in the past and plants (low tech) as well (mosses, cryptocorine), I even tried with DIY CO2 but things did not work out very well. After some years of absence, I got the hook again and started a little project where the focus are the plants so so here it is.

It started as a dry-start in january mostly because I had little plant mass but honestly, I do not think it was a great advantage and this is what I've got after 8 months.

Tank: 12L (~10 L with hardscape)
Light: 11 watt
Filter: Hang-on Eheim with sponge
Substrate: Plain gravel
Rock: collected locally (basalt)
CO2: pressurized via old JBL system (1.5 bubbles per sec)
No heat: ~23 ºC now (~15ºC in February/March)
Fertilization: EI (NPK as in James' web site, micro as Fase 1 from Elos - once it finished I have the dry salts).
Fauna: red-cherry; neritine snail, freshwater limpets (came with plants probably), rotifers...
Plants: Hemianthus callitrichoides, Hemianthus micranthemopides, Eleocharis parvula, Echinodorus tenellus (the latter was all dead but 1 plant after the dry-start, but it is now recovering and sending runners for the first time)

After some turbulent periods, the tank is now quite stable (despite the mere 10 L) and I have not cleaned the glass for 1 month. Algal free except in the CO2 diffusor which I have to clean every other week. In the past I have fought BGA and staghorn.

Before a the week maintenance:
imagem1w.jpg

After the maintenance:
imagem3mj.jpg

The HM grows quite well and I have to trim it every 2 weeks.
Against my predictions (due to very low light levels) the HC is growing albeit slowly. Still quite healthy and it pearls despite the rather weak amount of light.

A lot of the things I used I have learned from this (and Tom Barr's) forum so thank you all for the collective wisdom.
My moderate success with this tank I atribute to the overall low light, which kind of make things easier in such a small and unstable microecosystem. And as it showed me, I hope it also shows others that even HC can be grown with a rather small light output.

Hope you enjoy it.

cheers,

GM

Re: 10L NANO

Nice simple and very healthy.

Great planted tank pal :)

Playing with lights. Still lots to learn about how best to photograph a tank

The HM has been trimmed recently so it's not at its best.

overviewwu.jpg

Hope you like it

cheers,

GM

Looks nice, could probably be modified in to a el natural aquarium pretty easily if you ever decided to take that route :)

Hi,

thanks for commenting cozmoz. You're probably right although it will probably striped down to make a new composition in 1-2 months. This was kind of a test-tank to see how I managed in keeping a nano planted tank and to test wehther cuba could be grown to form a carpet with little light intensity. I consider this experience a success and I hope to focus more in the overall composition/scape in the future.

cheers,

GM

Few updates.

Added Cryptocorine "brown" and Staugoryne. The cuba has now filled in nicely. The tank is algae free.

Last week I upgraded my lighting to 18w (previously it was 11W). Too soon to comment on growth rates but the asthetics has improved by 100%.

Here are some pics:

teste2t.jpg

teste3b.jpg

teste4.jpg

teste5k.jpg

teste6y.jpg

teste7g.jpg

Hope you liked it.

The pics are a bit small I know. I borrowed a camera and I do not really know how to change the settings and stuff. :oops:

GM

PS: The guppies are not resident fauna. They are from a friend and I borrowed them to control a rotifer/daphnia plague.

Nice pics, like you said it is a shame they are so small though. The lighting sounds very high to me, I look forward to reading your progress.

Hi

Thanks for the comments guys.

cozmoz - Just upgraded the light so I rather go the easy way and have high for now. I'll lower it if needed, but so far all is good and hc pearls a lot so I don't think it will be needed. :D

a few more pics. A little larger this time :clap: ;)

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

Hope you like it.

GM

Back