• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

12" Cube

Bruce

Seedling
Hi all, I'm new to these forums (as advised by Garuf, thanks btw) I've been planning to do a nano planted tank for a while now and have just requested a quote for a 12" cube.
I just need some help with finalising equipment.

Substrate:ADA Amazonia Soil (though would like suggestions to something cheaper)
Lighting: Planning on using a desk lamp with a CFL bulb, probably 25 watts. Ideas?
Filteration: Azoo Mignon 240
C02: Totally clueless, would like a fermentation system opposed to a pressurised one.

Any help and suggestions would be very nice, thanks.

Pics to follow once I get the tank etc etc

Hi Bruce and welcome to UKAPS!

ADA Aqua Soil is a good substrate and not too expensive for a small tank. You need to wait a few weeks for it to finish dumping ammonia etc. before stocking with fish, unless you plants very heavily and stick some carbon/zeolite/Purigen in your filter (tricky for the HOB Azoo).

There are plenty of other effective substrates out there, some that are used as a base layer and topped with plain sand/gravel.

Lighting sounds ok.

Dan Crawford recently showed me a link to 30cm T5 luminaire on ebay. I'll get him to post the link for you. This may be nicer and not too much more cash.

Yeast-based CO2 is ok but you need to ensure that you keep on top of changing mixtures to ensure a stable CO2. Fluctuating CO2 levels are a huge algae trigger. Pressurized systems can be set up for much less that you may think and are so much less maintenance and less hassle.

thanks for all the help guys, nice feeling welcome to a new forum.

any ideas on aquascaping inspiration, i like the idea of creating the look of mountains.
any suggestions are welcome

thanks, bruce

Back