• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120 Gallon/450 liter rimless starfire ADA "like"

plantbrain

Expert
I love the aesthetics of ADA's rimless tank, they are also quite practical for the gardener. I liked the look of the stand as well. I bought a smaller 60p and really liked the over all display, I am not overly fond of the lily pipes and am surprised I have not broken them yet(2 so far).

For the 120 Gal, I wanted a shallower tank than the 24" depth. I chose 18"/45cm as a nice middle ground. The front to back depth was increased to 30"/75cm. the seam and rimless bevel was done by a guy in LA, this one is the nicest.
The stand I got through fellow poster "janz", he's in the SCAPE club and his brother makes really well made stands. Really well made.

The wood, well, you likely know me well enough to know I collect and hunt for wood as I have for many years.

redonetankstand.jpg

I plan on doing hair grass belem mostly, or all C parva or a mix. The "Tree" will be exactly that. I will use Anubias much like a bonsai. This tree is well suited for this goal. the slope will have the tree on a hill of grass, with nice smaller Anubias petite as leaves. the tree will be partially out of the water with the leaves extending above the water line.
The tree will actually be on the other side and the over flow pre filter will hang on the side of the tank, not the rear.This makes access easier and the flow better IME.

There will be a Vortech pump on the same side of the pre filter as well. A sealed sump below.

I am thinking and leaning towards a West African theme fish wise.
Something that does not jump out. I'd wanted a pleco "heaven", the tank would be good for that, but the wood hath spoken.
The other 60 cube will now be modified and converted for that goal.
that's another step towards the next phase, redoing the 180 Gal will be the last step. So 3 tanks to go till I have pretty much all my tanks like this and the 60p.

The next 60 cubes will be a different size: 36Lx24DX18"H, 67 Gal, but alot nicer dimension to work with.

Cubes are fun, but the 24"x24"(60x60cm) dimension is getting old, time for something different and time to get rid of the Glasscages tanks and stands. Selling them pays for an ADA like stand etc.

Nice thing is, jnaz and Charlie both live close by, so I can get all the stuff on one trip.
I'd like to make a Cree LED lighting system with angled lighting and variable colors, with a dimmer....but I can wait a bit. I have the wide spread 4x 54 W in the Tek hood.

Hey Tom

It all sounds really great, and the tank and stand look brilliant. The wood...the wood is just on another level! You could mount it on a plinth(spelling?) and call it a piece of art, I can't quite find the word to best describe it but it really pleases my brain :D haha

It is a really nice tank, and the layout proposed will make that amazing piece of wood the centre stage.

For fish I would use rainbows, I know you said that you wanted to have a African Biotope, but a setup such as that would look amazing with a shoaling fish.

Redid the hood, all nice a pretty white. The bars as well.
They blend in well and do not distract from the scene.

Jason B had mentioned he chose the U shape and the side mounts for his to not distract from the photographs. Good idea, but the side mount would not look good for my taste here. I can place a white backboard if need be in the rear, but in general, they will not stand out that much.

A ceiling suspension is best obviously:icon_idea

I like the all white clean look.

e0f4a8b7.jpg

FishBeast said:
Did you make a plasta base for your wood? Love it.
??

No, that is how the wood grows, it's all natural, I sawed the base flat so it is easy place etc, but the wood is how it comes from nature.

71005dbd.jpg

b470c699.jpg

5862f9f8.jpg

You can see the duct tape around the lip of the sump.
A simple CO2 system, Victor reg, Clippard in line check valve, burket solenoid, and Nupro valve with vernier micrometer handle. Feed into the intake of the needle wheel and into the return. Lots of sponge and bioballs. Clear PVC return.

I'll be getting a lot petite Anubias in a few days and will tie them to the wood.

120 Gallon/450 liter rimless starfire ADA "like"

I love the look
The scape will be amazing
Like the look of the wood next to the tank as well????
Matt

That wood is freakin' sweet :clap: ! Why don;t we get that in the UK :twisted: :sick:
Did you say you're using a pre-filter for your intake - could you explain that in a bit more info as it's a new thing for me but sound a good way to avoid shrimp-mashing!
Cheers,
Matt

bigmatt said:
That wood is freakin' sweet :clap: ! Why don;t we get that in the UK :twisted: :sick:
Did you say you're using a pre-filter for your intake - could you explain that in a bit more info as it's a new thing for me but sound a good way to avoid shrimp-mashing!
Cheers,
Matt

The prefilter is this item:

http://www.cpraquatic.com/pdf/CS100.pdf

Bad because you need the small Tom's pump running to keep the siphon from breaking, but then you have a much more discrete box in the tank. Trade off. I could feed an air tube into the return for the pump and the positive suction would be high enough I think.

Have not tried it yet.

Back