• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120cm - Cuspidated Jungle

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
This is an aquascape I created over winter 2007.

I really enjoyed watching this mature and the eclectic mix of SE Asian fish and plants provided many lost hours of wonder.

It was also nice to see that I can turn my hand to more complex layouts, as typically my aquascaping style is relatively clean-cut.

Cheers.

f_120cmexperim_0f61933.jpg

f_ferncropm_40062e1.jpg

f_gouramicropm_1668792.jpg

f_groupcropm_31aec6f.jpg

f_vmmcropm_5e0460b.jpg

Hi George,
Absolutely gorgeous mate. One question for you. Can you recall if you used Excel on this tank within a week or two of these photos?

Cheers,

Very nice,

very relaxing and lovely subtle use of colour.

Thanks, everyone!

ceg4048 said:
Can you recall if you used Excel on this tank within a week or two of these photos?
Quite possible, Clive. I did suffer from some minor BBA on the Sumatra wood on occasion.

Why do you ask? Colours of the E. stellata? I wondered about that myself.

Cheers.

nickyc said:
Love it!!! Exactly how many tanks do you have?!
I only have two running right now - 60cm German opti-white from Aqua Essentials and 30cm nano.

I've had five at one point - 4 hi-tech planted and one biotope... But there weren't enough hours in the day to keep them up to my 'OCD' standard!

You can see them all here - http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... blogid=168

Thanks again.

George Farmer said:
Thanks, everyone!

ceg4048 said:
Can you recall if you used Excel on this tank within a week or two of these photos?
Quite possible, Clive. I did suffer from some minor BBA on the Sumatra wood on occasion.

Why do you ask? Colours of the E. stellata? I wondered about that myself.

Well, not only the stelleta but also the colors of the Blyxa. I'm seeing that they both go bronze (each in their own way). Deletion of Excel seems to return them both to more green within a week or so. I'm not sure if this is coincidence or illusion or real.

Cheers,

Hmm..OK... :? That's a good data point. That means I'm suffering delusions and that it must be some other factor or combination thereof. :rolleyes: My next suspect is TPN+ or possibly lighting. Sorry to be annoying mate but could you confirm that the plant in the nano is in fact B. japonica and not B. aubertii or something like that? Also, do you (or did you) have any specimens of non-bronzed Blyxa, and if so could you recall the conditions under which they maintained their green coloration?

Cheers,

I always wondered why George's Blyxia was GREEN and mine were more of a browny red?
The browny red ones i have originally came from you clive?...

ceg4048 said:
Sorry to be annoying mate but could you confirm that the plant in the nano is in fact B. japonica and not B. aubertii or something like that? Also, do you (or did you) have any specimens of non-bronzed Blyxa, and if so could you recall the conditions under which they maintained their green coloration?

Cheers,

No bother mate.

This is my 80cm with B. japonica that JamesC kindly sent me a good while ago. It did morph in colour though from light green/orange hint through to deep green.

f_Tank1JuwelRm_a25096f.jpg

4 x 24w HO T5, 8 hours, Arcadia Plant Pro and JBL Natur 9000K (basically pink and blue tubes)
CO2 20-30ppm
5ml TPN+ per day
1/2 WC per week
Tap KH 7, GH 14, NO3 20ppm, PO4 5ppm (according to water supplier).

Dan Crawford said:
I always wondered why George's Blyxia was GREEN and mine were more of a browny red?
The browny red ones i have originally came from you clive?...

Gosh, I've just about run out of suspects. :rolleyes: Dan those were deep green exactly like those shown in Georges 80cm. The specimens I have now are from that same group and they are now green again. The only thing I can think of is the actual CO2 level. If it's not that then it's back to square 1. Anyway sorry to hijack, George. :D

Cheers,

Back