• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120cm - George of the Jungle pg.5 new pics

Re: 120cm - George of the Jungle

Looks like one of the native species, I grow some moss on the Emersed branches of my wood which I got off a chopped down tree. Could this be the work off the moss fairys?

Johno2090 said:
Looks like one of the native species, I grow some moss on the Emersed branches of my wood which I got off a chopped down tree. Could this be the work off the moss fairys?
Could be. The wood was left in my garden in a dark damp corner for over 12 months before I put it in here, so I guess it could have picked something up then.

Cheers. :)

The most is almost certainly a fissidens by looking at the growth pattern, it looks awful like F. fontanus, have you ever had that in this tank, even in a holding sort of role? I'll try and find my point and shoot to compare and contrast my emerse f.fontanus.

George Farmer said:
Can anyone ID this moss, please?

It's a real mystery as the wood has never had any moss on it (deliberately), and as far as I can remember I've never used this wood in a 'scape containing moss...

5774847111_921e485317_b.jpg
emerse moss by George Farmer, on Flickr

I am with Garuf, when i first saw it i thought Fissidens Fontanus :thumbup:

Thanks guys.

I've never owned Fissidens (deliberately) but I guess a tiny qty. could have hitchhiked at some point.

Garuf said:
The moss is almost certainly a fissidens by looking at the growth pattern, it looks awful like F. fontanus, have you ever had that in this tank, even in a holding sort of role? I'll try and find my point and shoot to compare and contrast my emerse f.fontanus.
If you could get a shot of yours, Gareth, that would be cool. Most point and shoot have a decent macro function so you can nice and close. Use a tripod (or makeshift version) to avoid camera shake. :thumbup:

Hi George,here's a macro shot of fissiden's from my old 5 footer,
IMG_3223.jpg

you may be able to get a comparison when your moss has grown more,

nice image's too mate :thumbup: ,

John.

It could well be a fissidens sp.
It is hard to tell scale from the pic, but the fronds *might* be a little small to be fontanus.
If so also consider that it could be fissidens splachnobyroides or fissidens zipelianius (spelling from memory). Both of those grow well on damp emersed wood, and it is entirely plausible the spores could have been carried in from elsewhere.

This is very similar to my setup now I have my new filter.

Are you using spraybars in here George? If so how do you have them placed?

I also note that you have only 2bps for low CO2. If you are using your UP atomizer in this sized tank, how many BPS would you expect to get to the 30ppm? Reason I ask is that I switched to a up atomizer but seem to have to have a pretty high bubble rate and even them I'm not sure how well I'm doing on the CO2 saturation. Pearling stopped when i changed diffuser but the plants still seemed to grow OK although not as good as I would have hoped.

Aeropars said:
Are you using spraybars in here George? If so how do you have them placed?

I also note that you have only 2bps for low CO2. If you are using your UP atomizer in this sized tank, how many BPS would you expect to get to the 30ppm?
Hi,

I use the filter outlet that comes with the Fluval G - it's basically a 16mm version of the FX5 i.e. two nozzles perpendicular to one another, each nozzle on a ball and socket type fitting.

Flow at the opposite end of the tank is negligible, but there's no issues.

I'd expect to have 4BPS or so in my tank to get around 30ppm CO2. I am using a Fluval bubble counter, that comes with their nano CO2 kits.

Cheers,
George

Thanks for the reply George. Maybe I am running it correctly then. I'm not sure that the CO2 diffusion is what it could be though. Do your drop checkers respond in the same way with the up atomizer? Im sure mine are not as light as they were.... perhaps thats just my eyes!

Im not sure if I'm low or high with my lighting these days. When i first started it was low but as we learn more and more it seems the lower lighting is more the way forward. I'm running 4x T8's over my 180L Juwel rio.

I just happened to check my CO2 last night and lal of a sudden I heard a hiss coming and going which turned out to be my plastic non return valve which had bust. No wonder I was dumping out loads of CO2 and hardly getting a twitch on the drop checker. No idea how long its been like that!

Hi George, I am really keen on replicating this as best I can, and have s few questions

Where do you get your plants from.

as I will be replacing a 3ft tank with a 4ft tank, and moving the fish & filter over to it,is there an alternative to the TMC Nutrasoil, which I can use which will not leach ammonia into the tank..
Thanks Paul

critch said:
Hi George, I am really keen on replicating this as best I can, and have s few questions

Where do you get your plants from.

as I will be replacing a 3ft tank with a 4ft tank, and moving the fish & filter over to it,is there an alternative to the TMC Nutrasoil, which I can use which will not leach ammonia into the tank..
Thanks Paul
Hi Critch

These plants are Tropica. They are relatively expensive, but the quality is excellent.

There are plenty of alternatives to TMC nutraSoil, but most soil-based types will leech ammonia. This may not be an issue with a mature filter and plenty of water changes and healthy plant growth. You could also pre-soak the product in a large bucket for a couple of weeks with daily water changes to 'flush' out the ammonia.

Or consider a low-cost alternative such as fine quartz gravel with a base-layer product i.e. Tropica Plant Susbstrate or JBL AquaBasis. Root tabs can also target-feed individual plants, as necessary.

The tropica plants may slightly more expensive, but you get what you pay for, tropica plants will be in great condition, well nourished, and you will have a very good start on your tank. :)

Usually the fault is at the retailer side, when they get the plants and do not know how to keep them in the best condition, after a week on a bad tank they will start to show deficiencies. Ask your LFS when they get tropica pots, and be there on the day, or order them online from reputable retailers.

Back