• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120cm - Harlequins' Haven

Thats awsome, I aimed for a similar type scape a while back but then lost interest when i had some cash problems.

I really cant remember a time when I have been trying to grow plants and have suceeded in keeping them nourished and looking green. Seeing a scape similar to what I had planned and how good it has turned out makes me very envious!

Well if everyone said your scapes were brilliant and perfect all the time you'd get a big leo ego now wouldn't you :lol: :p :D

Never been a fan of vallis walls but I have been won over a bit lol!

I think its good, very good, I like it.

The only improvement I could suggest is that I would probably thin out the vallis a little (a lot!) to see if it made the finished scape any better then it is now, it may not look at a lot better but I would probably do it anyway before I tore it down to see if it made the scape look a little lighter.

For a big tank though, excellent job.

Thanks everyone!

Lisa - you know me too well... 8)

Peter, unfortunately the tank is being stripped as we speak, so no chance to make any changes. Intetesting point though, thanks mate. I originally wanted C. helferi but as the tank is leaking...

zig said:
The only improvement I could suggest is that I would probably thin out the vallis a little (a lot!)

Themuleous said:
Haha I'll add to mine and say its the crypts, think they are a bit big which means you lose the mound effect created by the rocks, but thats just me ;)

Sam

Are you losing your talent here George? lol

aaronnorth said:
zig said:
The only improvement I could suggest is that I would probably thin out the vallis a little (a lot!)

Themuleous said:
Haha I'll add to mine and say its the crypts, think they are a bit big which means you lose the mound effect created by the rocks, but thats just me ;)

Sam

Clearly! lol

I always appreciate constructive critisism, of course, especially from my highly respected associates who are more talented than I (Peter Kirwan for instance).

Without wanting to blow my own trumpet - I think it's actually easier to pick fault in a 'good' aquascape, as the weaker aspects are more evident, when viewing the aquascape as a whole.

An 'average' aquascape becomes more demanding for the critic to give detailed feedback, as there is so much more to think about. I guess this may be why many other aquascapes don't receive as much critisism. Or maybe they're just a lot better than mine...

My 60cm opti-white is better than this. I look forward to comments on that too. :D

George Farmer said:
Without wanting to blow my own trumpet - I think it's actually easier to pick fault in a 'good' aquascape, as the weaker aspects are more evident, when viewing the aquascape as a whole.

An 'average' aquascape becomes more demanding for the critic to give detailed feedback, as there is so much more to think about.

I think your definately right here. With poorer aquascapes like a first time attempt, such as my own, its less a scape attempt so there is sooooo much criticism to give no-one wants to give the person a coronary by telling them everything wrong with it.

On the other hand everyone has their own opinion, and you'll never get everybody saying wow that's fantastic. Even the display tanks at the green machine I bet some people were saying they're great but I'd move this here or use this plant instead. Or like Graemes reddy rocks, he obviously likes them, but personal preference means you don't.

Lisa_Perry75 said:
On the other hand everyone has their own opinion, and you'll never get everybody saying wow that's fantastic. Even the display tanks at the green machine I bet some people were saying they're great but I'd move this here or use this plant instead. Or like Graemes reddy rocks, he obviously likes them, but personal preference means you don't.
Wise words. Thanks, Lisa.

aaronnorth said:
zig said:

Themuleous said:

Sam

I was really only suggesting that now the aquascape was finished and photographed, ie in the bag, George could start to prune back the vallis at the background to see if it could make it look a little different then it was now. Removing elements sometimes can add a different mood to a scape the same way adding a different coloured background can also improve an aquascape. Overall I like the aquascape, my critque was just based on personal preferences of how I would approach it now that it had grown out, It wasn't really a criticism, I'm sure George knows that. If anything Georges talent is really coming on leaps and bounds, we can all see that!

A really good tank, I agree on the general consensus that there was too much vallis but otherwise It's amazing, the fish choice really was spot on, good work.

Back