• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120cm - Harlequins' Haven

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
This is my third and latest 120cm layout. The first was Jeremy's Iwagumi featured as the leading article in Jan 08 issue of PFK. The second I can't share yet due to new Tropica plants.

It's a low maint layout - no stems, simple 'scape. Vallis will be swapped with Cyperus eventually. More Anubias coming. I'm running half light (2 x T5) for 8 hours.

60 harlequins coming soon also - hence the working title.

There's been a lot of discussion on filters and flow. Note my layout with 2 plain nozzies in the rear corner, at different heights. CO2 via a Rhinox 5000 into both inlets - 2BPS. Heater's also in same corner. Total claimed flow 2750lph.

Ferts - 5ml TPN+ daily. 1/3 WC per week.

Substrate - Ecocomplete, Unipac Aquaclay and play sand mix.

Decor - mini landscape rocks, redmoor wood.

Plants -

Vallisneria spiralis 'tiger'
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'green'
Anubias barteri var. 'nana'
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Hemianthis callitrichoides
Pogostemon helferi

Give it 3-4 months to 'completion'.

f_120cmfullcrm_c30f6fe.jpg

f_120cmsidem_35fc8a3.jpg

f_cabinetm_275cd6f.jpg

Good stuff again George.

How do you manage to do all these water changes every week?

And where do you buy the fire extinguishers from?

Thats a great example of a low maintenance tank mate. Another nice aquascape and a very well suited choice of plants.
What with all your other tanks at the mo i'm not surprised that you've gone low maintenance on one of them!

Hi George,
Very nice. I love the framing using the Vals. P. Helferi is becoming my favorite foreground plant as well. :D

Any special reason you put the sand underneath by the way?

Cheers,

One of my favourites to date,

The fish are going to make it.

Well done George.

You should write for a magazine or something, you're pretty good at this aquascaping lark ;)

(Like it by the way!)

Wow!

Thanks for all the kind words folks.

TDI (Dan) - PM me about fire extinguishers.

Clive - the sand was part of an open foreground that I decided against in the end. Rather than remove it, I mixed it in with the other stuff. Downoi is great, I love it too!

Thanks again.

Very Nice, it's good to see a low-maintenance layout since the old 125l scape.

I love the wood too, do you think it would look be better if you put a bit of moss on the wood? It might give it a more aged appearance, although it wouldn't look as effective if completely covered in moss, just in small areas.

Hi George,

I like the scape, the rock arrangement is very nice. Maybe a couple of smaller branches will be good.

I noticed that you use more and more TPN+. Is it for the ease of use, better or same than EI, low light? Do you think it carry enough macro for a high light tank?

alexandre said:
Hi George,

I like the scape, the rock arrangement is very nice. Maybe a couple of smaller branches will be good.

I noticed that you use more and more TPN+. Is it for the ease of use, better or same than EI, low light? Do you think it carry enough macro for a high light tank?

I think he uses it because it's the same as EI and my convenient.

I think so. This is 4 x 24w HO T5 over 80cm. 5ml TPN+ per day.

Okay thanks, but if I remember well your tap water have quiet a bit of N & P. I am using RO water and want to simplified my dosing, that's why I am wondering if the macro inside TPN+ are enough.

Each dosing of 5ml per 50 litres TPN+ adds 6ppm NO3 and 0.4ppm PO4. So if George's tank is 200 litres then each 5ml daily does will add 1.5ppm NO3 and 0.1ppm PO4. That amount should work fine in this setup. Plus it gets a good dose of NO3 and PO4 from each water change courtesy of his local water board.

Another class scape George. Shall be watching to see how this one developss

James

Back