• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120cm - South East Asia

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Not a true biotope, of course, but you get the idea.

One of my best I think - taken about this time last year. My latest 120cm is better and will likely be my ADA 2009 entry.

Spec -

216 litres
2 x 54w T5, 8 hours
2 x 1200lph external filters
Pressurised CO2 into filter
Ecocomplete
TPN+ daily
1/3 WC per week

ahh, that might be worth a try, whats the difference in just having it go straight into the tank and having it go into the filter?

will it not work with just 1 inlet?

CO2 straight into the tank via ceramic diffusers in larger aquaria is tricky to get decent CO2 microbubble distribution, especially in jungles like this where the plants physically hinder flow around the tank. Notice any diffusers in Amano's giant tank....?!

So I get better results with the microbubbles going straight into the filter(s). One tends to go through less CO2 to reach 30ppm too. And it's prettier than having a load of bubbles constantly floating around the tank, until pearling commences...

So the filter acts like a giant CO2 reactor. Some reports suggest that the CO2 can perish the filter seals, but I've never had an issue.

Using CO2 into one inlet is fine. I used two as I ran two filters and figured a more even spread of CO2 enriched water would circulate throughout the water column. It seemed to work ok...

In smaller tanks CO2 mist around the tank works well too.

I'm not sure it's my favourite scape of yours, but I'm sure it'll grow on me. It's hard to believe this is the same scape as what you posted previously (if I've got that right?).

Can't wait to see your new 120cm :D

Very nice George, just how many tanks are you running at the moment? Also, what are the dimensions of the tank? And did you use lilys or bars?

Thanks, Garuf.

I'm currently running two planted tanks - 60cm opti-white and 120cm, 370 litre. The 60cm is the higher maintenance that I'm churning out new 'scapes and 'experimenting' new ideas with. The 370 litre is a low maintenance nice display for my living room.

This tank was 120x45x40cm. I ran regular outlets without spraybars. Both in the same corner pointing the same direction.

George Farmer said:
I'm currently running two planted tanks - 60cm opti-white and 120cm, 370 litre. The 60cm is the higher maintenance that I'm churning out new 'scapes and 'experimenting' new ideas with. The 370 litre is a low maintenance nice display for my living room.

This tank was 120x45x40cm. I ran regular outlets without spraybars. Both in the same corner pointing the same direction.
You complete and utter copy cat. :lol:

Yet another perfect transition from foreground to background. I still think Harlequin Haven has the edge, though.

Dave.

Hi George,

how did the harlequins compare to the black neons you had recently, i'm just thinking about changing my cardinals to something a little different with maybe more movement.

Thanks,

Dan.

Thank, Clark and Neil.

I know what you mean, Neil. It was fun to watch this tank grow and evolve. The fish made it more interesting to watch too.

The composition wouldn't have worked so well if the P. stellata turned red, like it's supposed to!

Back