• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

120cm - South East Asia

Looks wicked, pity the p stellata didnt turn red it would have really topped off an already great looking tank, I wish I had room for a 4 foot tank, finding it hard to squeeze in a 3 ft one atm, no space, well lots of space but all in the wrong places like the converted loft area, prefer to have tanks on the ground floor.

How do you find maintainance on a large tank George, lots of hours or easy enough? I'd say the thought of a major rescape is daunting though, need a long weekend for that!

Thanks, Peter.

Maintenance isn't so bad. I only change 1/3 water per week in larger tanks. Pruning as and when. I'm a little and often sort of maintainer regarding glass cleaning, pruning etc.

I probably spent an average of 2-3 hrs total per week on this layout. I spend a similar amount of time on my current 60 litre.... and about 1/4 of the time on my current 370 litre...

So, of course, it depends on the set up, planting and how pristine you want your display.

120cm is a nice size. So much more freedom to create.

George Farmer said:

Tell me about it, Im feeling restricted. Look forward to your other large tank for IALPC 2009 tank, all in good time of course, don't expect you will be posing it up here any time soon :D

Another fab tank, George. Must look fantastic in person.
And not a single cell of algae! Your nitrate and phosphate must be 0 :rolleyes: lol

zig said:
George Farmer said:

Tell me about it, Im feeling restricted. Look forward to your other large tank for IALPC 2009 tank, all in good time of course, don't expect you will be posing it up here any time soon :D

Yeah, no leaks this time...

Fred Dulley said:
Another fab tank, George. Must look fantastic in person.
And not a single cell of algae! Your nitrate and phosphate must be 0 :rolleyes: lol

Thanks, Fred.

This to me, is a great example of breaking the rules and it working out into a great 'scape.
Its all similar tones of green and the focal point, to me, is the large Microsorum slap bang in the middle. No golden ratio needed.

Great stuff.

Joecoral said:
What is the stem in the right corner? Is that the P. stellata?
Yes, Joe.

JAmesM said:
George Farmer said:
Notice any diffusers in Amano's giant tank....?!

Which one? His personal tank is a little different to a 120cm, but all other tanks, including the 11+ footers run co2 diffusers.
My mistake, James. Thanks for the correction.

Amano does use multiple Beetle counters in larger aquaria. In his home tank he uses a complex reactor-type system that controls the actual CO2 injection rate, depending on the light - some of which is daylight.

I believe that Jeff Senske, one of ADA's biggest customers and advocates, uses in-line reactors in most of his set ups.

Would that be like a co2 monitor that changes the injection rates like how a ph monitor does or is it something even more complex?

Garuf said:
Would that be like a co2 monitor that changes the injection rates like how a ph monitor does or is it something even more complex?
Amano's personal tank is like a mad scientists lab! :lol: He injects o2 and co2 at different stages iirc. Pretty much everything is custom made.

George, I doubt in reality that diffusers are used for the larger display tanks as it just seems so wasteful. They probably have a mad filtration and co2 system with diffusers and ADA filters for show. I'd like to get in there and have a good poke about to see what really goes on behind the scenes :lol:

JAmesM said:
Amano's personal tank is like a mad scientists lab! :lol: He injects o2 and co2 at different stages iirc. Pretty much everything is custom made.

yeah, if you read the info on amano's work, theres one bit that says "aeration" usually something like lilly pipe 14 hours during night. so he's pumping in o2. food for thought eh?

That means he raises and lowers the lilly pipe. I remember Barr blowing that one up on plantedtank.net back when I started.

The basics were someone was saying they want to inject O2 because they'd seen amano's tanks were injecting it. Barr popped up and said something along the lines of "he doesn't inject o2 he just rises the lilly pipe to increase surface agitation".

saintly said:
JAmesM said:

yeah, if you read the info on amano's work, theres one bit that says "aeration" usually something like lilly pipe 14 hours during night. so he's pumping in o2. food for thought eh?
Yes, all the display tanks have the lilly pipes raised over night... but I'm talking about his monster personal tank at his home.

O2 isn't injected, but is created via the overflow filtration.

Straight from the 2006 ADA catalogue:

"When the water drops to the filter sump, co2 is forced out from the water and oxygen is taken in. As a result, the water with abundant oxygen goes through the filtration media. Therefore there is almost no algae appearance and we can maintain high transparency of water."

Interesting.

Very nice George, how many ml of tropica do you add dayly on this layout?

Regards,

Luís

Back